Author Topic: 1st visit to Bonneville  (Read 2634 times)

Offline MOSHIS

• New folks
1st visit to Bonneville
« on: July 26, 2022, 01:08:30 PM »
My name is Frank. From Phoenix, AZ.  I am 66 years old and have dreamed of racing at the Salt Flats. I have been doing the Airport speed events, 1/2 and 1 mile throughout the country and now I am going to do Bonneville.  I am planning on running my basically stock Ducati superbike at the World Finals the end of September 2022.  I have joined SCTA BNI and USFRA, and I am going to visit during Speedweek in a couple weeks to learn and take in as much as I can with regard to how it all goes down. I have a few questions before my visit. Are dogs allowed on the salt and the camping area, obviously on a leash?  To get around while I am there are small pit bikes allowed to get me from one end of the pit area to the other, and to the starting area to observe all I can, or are you only allowed to drive your vehicle?  Final question, I am going to camp in my tent as I understand there is a camping area not too far from the racing area.  Do you leave your tent set up all week or are you required to take everything down each day when attending the racing. Thank you for your time.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: 1st visit to Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 03:02:07 PM »
First of all, it's hard on dogs out there if you're not prepared.  Booties are good, a leash is mandatory, and take care to clean his feet and coat at the end of the day.

Pit bikes are allowed, but there are restrictions and rules.  Go to the SCTA-BNI site and read the list of event rules and also the BLM stipulations.

The "camping area" is the Bend in the Road.  It's more of a concept than an improved site (!), 'cause it features ONLY lots of open land where you can plunk down your stuff and stay for as long as you want.  Many folks leave their site up for the duration - and since anarchy pretty much rules it's relatively secure.  It can get a bit raucous inside the Bend per se, but there are dozens of acres on which you cab have some isolation from the ya-hoos. 

Enough for now?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 04:11:18 PM »
I would suggest if tent camping to have it well anchored... occasionally a little wind storm comes through there and you might have to look for your tent at the mountains. 
You might also consider running your bike a WoS... mid September... World Finals is cancelled more often than it is run.  It's a weather thing... it competed in 2012.... then 2020 and 2021... They also have 130 and 150 club races... if you're not in record challenge it is a nice way to get your vehicle on the salt.... rules posted online.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DallasV

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 05:04:08 PM »
To add to what Slim said about dogs. It is rough on them. For dogs, in addition to booties, they make sun goggles and sun screen for noses. I would recommend both.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline 7707

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 12:45:50 AM »
Don’t take your dog. It’s seriously hot, they can only regulate their temp by panting through their tongue.they overheat very quickly..plus humans can drink lots of water.. where is your dog going to open a bottle when it needs a drink. Tha salt is not a place to bring a pet.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 12:47:39 AM by 7707 »
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »
I agree with the comments here about dogs. In addition, having to keep a dog on a leash will seriously hamper your ability to move around and handle your camera equipment. Leave Fido at home.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline salt27

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 12:01:48 PM »
We have learned the hard way that small mountaineering type tents are the best for camping at Bonneville.
The occasional wind storms can collapse and send the larger tents sailing.

Don

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 02:33:27 PM »
We have learned the hard way that small mountaineering type tents are the best for camping at Bonneville.
The occasional wind storms can collapse and send the larger tents sailing.

Don

That's true for sure! Remember the big black Monster Energy Drink tents that blew away during a night time storm?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 03:13:29 PM »
Not nearly as well as I remember the Monster Energy girls! :clap
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 04:49:16 PM »
I remember them!

They had other Monster things that were interesting besides Energy.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 05:47:15 PM »
I remember them!

They had other Monster things that were interesting besides Energy.

That's where the energy came from!!!!
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 08:46:49 PM »
yabadayabadayabadayabada

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 01:15:23 PM »
Bonneville is NOT an airport venue. once you turn off your run yon cannot ride you bike back to the pit area. you will see this at speed week and understand so you will need assistance if you come back. Im not in favor of a pet being on the salt but I dont think you will have a problem as a spectator as you will be in your vehicle or near it. As a racer its not a good idea unless you are with others. Enjoy yourself and have fun.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 01:30:19 PM »
Welcome to the world of LSR! Along with the other comments about your dog, remember,unless he is stone deaf, the loudness of the vehicles would be trumatic! I agree with the other folks, leave the dog home and be free to go/do what/where you want! Enjoy, but be ready to 2nd mortgage your home! lol8 :cheers:

Offline Salttoy

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 07:20:14 PM »
Welcome Moshis,  If you are attending to learn as much about land speed racing and plan on running in the future, I would suggest attending one of the rookie orientations as the instructors have a wealth of knowledge and will point out all the "do's" and "don'ts".  It can be a little overwhelming of all the procedures and understanding the course layout's, return roads, speed limits and the starting lanes for rookies.  When we have newbie join our team, i will take them to rookie orientation as an education on how it all works.  Most of all, have fun!!!