Author Topic: My first set of wheels....  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
My first set of wheels....
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:35:37 PM »
The year is 1945 and I'm not 1 yet, but I have..............

.............. my first set of wheels.  Check the cars out behind me.

By the time I was 16 I was doing a little better with this '51 Vicky that...

.............I had mildly customized.

How about some of the rest of you what was your first rod, custom or race car?

c ya,

Sum

P.S.  That first set of wheels that I got in '45 is parked out in the garage right now, and I wish I had the car from when I was 16, it probably got crushed  :cry: .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: My first set of wheels....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:23:06 PM »
Got no pics, but it was a '62 T-Bird convertible - lot's of rust, a ripped top, red interior, white paint and primer.  The former owner had put a 428 in it, I installed air shocks, L-60 15's out back.  Steering was so slow, it felt like I was sending a telegram to the tie rods.

The perfect 12-pack-and-a-drive-in car for a dumb ol' Iowa farmboy like me.

$250.00 in 1977 - which is about what I spent on gas last month.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »
$250.00 in 1977 - which is about what I spent on gas last month.

You mist be driving the MG...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:30:06 AM »
Had this car for over 20 years, it was my H.S. hot rod.  Used to be root beer brown with z-28 stripes, unfortunately I hit a barbed wire fence and it stayed primer yellow until I sold it last year. :cry:

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:44:44 AM »
Only because this is a good story.
 I just turned 15 and lived across the street from a kid about 13 who's father  drank a lot every weekend. They had a 1931 model A parked behind the house. One weekend I asked him if he would sell me the car. He said no. I asked him why and he said it didn't run. I being 15 and knowing everything said I could make it run. He said if I could get running by dark he would sell it to me for $5. ( I said he was a drunk.) Ran across the street and called my buddy because his older brother and his brothers best friend both had model A's and worked on them all the time.
In a couple hours the two older guys had it running. Went over to his house to show him it was running and had $5 ( I had to borrow the $5 from my mom ). He was going to renege on the deal but his wife got all over him big time. She didn't want the car behind her house I think.
A couple months later my buddys brother brought a friend over to look at the car because he heard about the deal. He offered me $200 and I sold it to him. Best deal I ever made on a car I think.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:18 AM »
I've always worked on my own cars............

Got started in Land Speed Racing early............................

Not really  :-P   Thanks to Getty for the images.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »
Mine was a 67 Chevelle,blue(I think they all were blue),327,12.5:1 comp,30/30 cam,4:88 rear, T/A radials,Jacked up in the back with Gabrial Hi-jackers. Used to turn mid 13's in the 1/4. Could never sneak home late with that noisy cam.Ended up selling it to build the 34 (which I still have). Can you guess the era? Mid 70's
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:19:08 AM by thundersalt »
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »
My 68 GTO, had it since I was 16, and incredibly still have it 28 years later.  I can never sell this car, too much history and sentimental value now.  This is a recent pic.  My dad actually bought the car new, and I rebuilt the engine and repainted the car when I was 16.  Paint job was original color lacquer paint over the original lacquer, it has gone to hell now, looks good from 20 feet.  I should drive this more than it does get driven, few hundred miles per year.  It is nearly 100% original, no modifications to the engine, I only changed over to disc brakes in front and way back as a kid I put in an AM-FM-Cassette radio.  Otherwise the car is as built.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:41 PM »
My first car was a 36 ford 2dr sedan with 59ab flathead. My first hot rod was 65 GTO,tri-power,4 speed, 3.90 posi. Drag raced it in a lot of configurations, probably best with one 2gc rochester 13.50 1/4 mile. not bad for 1966.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
38Chevy,

Man that is a cool Goat !!  The reason I like it so much is that it is almost a carbon copy of my first car, a 68 GTO same color,,, Mine had a hard top body color and ET Mags, Sky Jacker rear airshocks and Cherry Bomb Glass Packs.. My Friends called the color Grandma Green,,, But I loved the car..I am not sure but I think the paint was verdigo green,,, or something like that... It was also the first car I ever drag raced after it was retired from street use..

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 07:54:53 AM »
Good post and cool pics Sum... are those baby moons on that wagon?  :wink: Some of ya'll had it really cool for sure.... 38Chev, man to have that GTO at 16 AND for it to be your dad's bought new AND it still be in your possession! I'm absolutely as jealous of you as anyone could be.... but also as happy as can be for you... now get that ride out on the pavement somewhere!

The folks tried impressing me with the 4 wheel gig too... with little success, especially since they thought I was going to share with my brother (i'm the good looking one up front)

As you can see from my face it did make me happier that I could have my own ride though, and one I could steer myself... but there still wasn't enough power (all the cowboy cothes in the world are worthless without actual HORSEpower right?).

Finally found my first true love (1970 Monkey Wards B&S) which I may not have been able to touch the ground on, but I had it out in the snow that Christmas day and very quickly learned it didn't have enough horsepower to move a tree. I rode it everyday the sun came up and it was one of my biggest influences in life when it came to wrenching as my dad made sure that we fixed it ourselves with the least amount of $ possible.

Finally got to my first car (much less cool then many of yours here for sure, but still mine and I mucho fun had in and on that car), a rusty but trusty '72 Pinto. From this car on, I've still never owned a car I didn't have to do a lot of work to get on the road (less any of my pickup trucks here lately). From the body work and the floorboard (made of MANY license plates riveted together and the stop sign hump I made for the 4 speed) to the junk yard rear end I put in it after finding all the metal in the original one. Not to mention make payments on it to my dad while wrenching on the whoel time.
Completed in couple months that summer and on the road by my August b-day...

16 years old and that New Years Eve I became the local don't drink and drive posterboy... that was one sad New Years day.

Helped build and install a small block in my dads '72 Corvette and in turn got to use it to go to my highschool graduation, which of course my date and I never made it to.... there was too many cruise-in spots, racing on airport road and a few donuts here and there to waste time in some gymnasium with a bowl full of spiked punch and girls with entirely too many clothes on.

"My" first hotrod... '71 Monte(and one of MANY Monte Carlo's to come into my life). 
Full work up from all of drivetrain and complete body job(she was real rough when I got).

Then I picked the 70-1/2 SS Camaro in this pic that I sat on for along time. Years later (when I went in the Army) my dad built the motor in it for my successful graduation of basic training. When I got back from my MOS training, Alfy(today's starter at the ECTA) and I did a ton of body work, quarter replacement, etc. and painted it in the driveway under a giant bug ridden oak tree on a 20 thrash for me to take to Germany with me at the end of that leave (ask Al about the trip to get me on a plane nad that car on a boat to get overseas... was a fun one for sure). Lotsa racing with it over there at dragstrips as well as some cash bets on the autobahn... an overall experience I wish every young man could do for himself (and country) by the way.

My last hotrod (and first move towards trucks actually, a '69 El Camino I spent alot of time at Rockingham in), before it started sitting too often to consititute keeping a car in the way of where my bikes needed to be.

Ohhh yeah.. can't forget The Van, my transfer vehicle back home after high school from finding myself in Key West.

Ok, that was a little more then my "first" set of wheels of course, but thought I'd share what I had pics of on hand in my "car" folder.

Today I have room to store and work on 20 bikes in the space that would only allow to the same on a couple cars at a time. With any of those cars taking up the space of all ten of these(some of our personal bikes)... it's a no brainer for us "at this specific point in life anyway", but I do look forward to getting back to cars someday for sure(with a specific one or two in mind).... and I have all of you to thank for that of course!

Todd
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 08:02:53 AM by narider »

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »
38Chevy,

Man that is a cool Goat !!  The reason I like it so much is that it is almost a carbon copy of my first car, a 68 GTO same color,,, Mine had a hard top body color and ET Mags, Sky Jacker rear airshocks and Cherry Bomb Glass Packs.. My Friends called the color Grandma Green,,, But I loved the car..I am not sure but I think the paint was verdigo green,,, or something like that... It was also the first car I ever drag raced after it was retired from street use..

Charles

The official color name is Verdoro Green.  Thanks for the compliment.

Good post and cool pics Sum... are those baby moons on that wagon?  :wink: Some of ya'll had it really cool for sure.... 38Chev, man to have that GTO at 16 AND for it to be your dad's bought new AND it still be in your possession! I'm absolutely as jealous of you as anyone could be.... but also as happy as can be for you... now get that ride out on the pavement somewhere!

Thanks for the compliment, I do need to get it out driving more than it does get.  Funny thing, no matter how I feel when i get in the GTO, when I get done I am smiling and have a good attitude.  It is good for my disposition.

Since the GTO was repainted and rebuilt engine, it was too nice to drive to college, so I built a 74 V-8 Vega when i was 18 and senior in high school.  Do not have any pics of that electronically, but that was a fun car.  350 SBC, turbo 400, narrowed 12 bolt 4.10 posi rearend, not tubbed though.  Kind of worthless driving on the freeway, 3500 rpm at 55 mph.  But I drove that car all through 5 years of college and 1 year out of college before selling it.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:53:38 AM »

Mine and my twin brothers was a 1929 model A two door sedan (cherry condition) paid 75$ in 1953 at age 13.
Luckly we lived in the foothills of Santa Barbara with access to some dirt roads that we could bomb around on.
 Of course we had to hop it up,bought a two carb intake from a future landspeed racer (Tom Swigam) and got it up to 70mph when we sneeked down on Foothill rd.
 Sure wish i had a picture.

JL222

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
"Sure wish i had a picture"

I may have mentioned this before. My Dad told me to take plenty of pictures of my cars. He didn't and regretted it, of course I didn't
and I regret it.

I can remember returning from Speedweek and each of us asking "how many pics did you take?" One look at the cameras showed we were all one photo #1.

DW

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »

I too have no pics. Mine was a 56 Cameo, white with the red . Built a nice 327 for it. I broke lots of 3 speeds, the last one I was able to get the 70 miles home with just 3rd gear. Pulled a Muncie out of a 70 SS chevelle and  that problem was solved. Those old trucks drove like S**t. I traded it for a Nova a couple years out of high school. If I ever have an old truck again it wont have the stock front end under it.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger