Author Topic: The day of a team  (Read 3151 times)

Offline ptcca1

• New folks
The day of a team
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »
Hello,
Can you describe me one day "standard" of a team at the time of Speedweek? (How much test can one make. From what time is open the track and closing....) I am taking of all information to be able to establish a "program"  :wink:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: The day of a team
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 12:37:44 PM »
What type of vehicle are you going to run, how big is your crew. 1 to 2 runs at the first of the week, later the lines get shorter and move faster.
Glen :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 12:41:12 PM »
It is a easy week. We get up at 5 AM have breakfast and are in line to get on the salt when they open it at 6. I you a lucky enough to be in impound you have to be ready to roil out before 7 for record runs. Then hopefully back to impound by 10. Then after inspection back in line to try to qualify again. You may get 3 or 4 runs in a day. You must be in line before 5 to make your last run of the day. If you get to impound or not you have to be off the salt at dark. Then off to clean up and get some dinner, try to get to bed by 11, or flog in the parking lot all night to fix anything that broke and your ready for the next day. 6 days of racing and you are ready to drive home. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 01:30:42 PM »
You never really know.  We had one day last year in the middle of Speed Week where we got out to the salt at 8, wrenched for 2 hours, got in line at 10, and didn't get to make a run that day.  High winds shut the track down . . . it's no fun being strapped in with a great tail wind and not getting to run!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:58:32 PM »
Evil Tweety,

That must have been Wednesday. I was the last one to make a run that day. I was @ about the 2 & 1/2 mile on the short course @ about 165 when I was hit by a cross wind gust of about 20 MPH when a twitch of the steering wheel caused the rear end to try to switch with the front. That was exciting, and the end of the day. You never know about the weather.

Tom

Offline ptcca1

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 02:16:08 PM »
Thank you for your answers. In short each day is one day new  :-D
For the type of vehicle that will be Pt Cruiser with an engine 2.0 L
When I would have received the rule book I would see in which category I could register it according to the authorized modifications

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:01:48 PM »
Speed Limit 1000 doesn't paint a true picture.
They are record holders. Everything runs very smoothly for them.
They have free time during the day and party at night.
They just want people to think Land Speed Racing is difficult.
Besides, a week in Wendover is so much easier than a day in Denver.
Pit next to them so they can assist you in your rookie year.
He speaks many languages fluently but will only speak
English here in the US.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 01:08:58 AM »
Hello,
Can you describe me one day "standard" of a team at the time of Speedweek? (How much test can one make. From what time is open the track and closing....) I am taking of all information to be able to establish a "program"  :wink:

I've documented some of our days on the salt that might give you an idea what to expect.  You can find them here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html

You will like it no matter how many times you get to run  :-D ,

Sum

Offline ptcca1

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 04:16:37 AM »
Hello,

I've documented some of our days on the salt that might give you an idea what to expect.  You can find them here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html

You will like it no matter how many times you get to run  :-D ,

Sum

thank you for the link, indeed it is a good source of information for the "rookies" which we are  :lol: :lol:

Offline overboost

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
Bring all that you can plus a bit of ingenuity.  I found a metal "yard/meter" stick at Smith's Store last year that we were able to fabricate into a battery strap.  Also, plan on two hours every evening (if nothing is broken) at the Nugget for all the Rat Rods on display.  Have a safe journey....
2005 Hayabusa....small mods...MPS-BG 1209B...
Lynn Stubblefield, Nashville, TN