Author Topic: Salt conditions  (Read 10185 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Salt conditions
« on: June 24, 2021, 05:10:43 PM »
Just posted on Insatgram:

SW Pre-Trip - Update #2 (6/23/21)

Firm+smooth=FAST - It?s as simple as that! 👊🏼

We've done our job, the rest is up to Mother Nature.🙏

Course #1 & #2 are groomed to the 7 Mile, but we have 9+ miles if you need it. It is as good as any Salt in recent memory. Course #3 will again be used for Rookies & Licensing. It Will be timed to the 2 1/4 mile for Long Course qualifying. It will be open to anyone wishing to run 2 miles.

We're headin' home in the morning since our job is done. The only thing the Salt needs now is YOU!! Don't miss out!

?SEE YA ON THE SALT!?

Bill Lattin - BNI Chairman

Pat McDowell ? SCTA President

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQgvkI4HMhu/?utm_medium=copy_link

Mike  :clap
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline gnomenator

Re: Salt conditions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 11:39:07 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers: positive waves!!!

Offline Sporty Dan

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »
The pictures that were posted on the Bonneville and El Mirage page look awesome.

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 11:57:56 AM »
Still have a ways to go but heres hoping for fast salt.  Up here in the northwest, we are cooking in these very high temps!

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 03:30:51 PM »
Still have a ways to go but heres hoping for fast salt.  Up here in the northwest, we are cooking in these very high temps!

Yes, it's great training weather for the salt. I spent a couple hours in the 98 degree shade yesterday working on the race bike. If I closed my eyes I could imagine I was working under a popup in the pits.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 06:15:02 PM »
My Brother and I did Rocky Mountain Race Week this year as total Rookies.  Great Bend, Kansas was about 95*.  The drive to Pueblo, Colorado was about 98*.  Pueblo was 95*, thanks to a generous cloud for most of the day.  The drive to Morrison was the beginning of three days of 103*-105* heat.  The drive from Morrison to Kearney, Nebraska was a brutal twelve hour, 500 mile test with an estimated near 200* floor temp.  Back in Great Bend, it was "only" about 98* for the final day.  I think I am more ready for Speed Week than in years past

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 07:27:14 PM »
Yoo-hoo! Fairmont for the win!

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »
Yoo-hoo! Fairmont for the win!

If we would not have turned in a 10.9XX ticket for the first day, we would have been on the box for the 11.000 class.  Our average for the last four days was two hundredths quicker than the class winner's average.  Not too bad for a couple of kids from Iowa & Nebraska (my Brother) with a car that was recently finished, and only had four passes on it the week prior to the event.  We had 13 passes and 1300+ trouble free miles over the seven day event.  Now I want to build one for myself...

Online kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »
We did Drag Week & Rocky Mt in a Duramax powered street rod a few years ago. It's a disease just like Bonneville but I cured myself of that short course thing. :-D
  Sid.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 08:31:37 AM »
We did Drag Week & Rocky Mt in a Duramax powered street rod a few years ago. It's a disease just like Bonneville but I cured myself of that short course thing. :-D
  Sid.

lol8

I totally agree with the disease part.  I told my Brother I would go to Race Week every year he plans to enter.  The cat that I go to Bonneville with is just getting his bike finished, so that may become a yearly adventure, as well.  I am lucky enough to have enough vacation to make both events every year now.

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 04:03:16 PM »
Larry Reber of BMST (he drags the course) posted video of the salt yesterday, showing pretty much zero salt on his truck's tires or wheel wells. Said it's smooth and rock hard.

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 01:14:09 PM »
JULY 2021 STRAIGHT AWAY NEWS

At the time this letter was written we had just completed grooming three courses. Course #1 is 8+ miles long and will be up to 10+ miles by August. Course #2 is 8+ miles long and Course #3 at this time is set up to the 2 ? timed miles. The salt is so smooth, hard, and durable that we could have gotten away with not dragging at all. The thickness of the salt has increased modestly, however the distribution is far more uniform which has led to a smoother and harder surface. The course layout is the same as last year except we are adding course 3. Some of our old time members / volunteers / drag crew with over 50 years of experience say that they have not seen this good of a salt surface in a long time!

GOOD YEAR techs will be on site for your tire needs and issues.

In conclusion, as long as Mother Nature cooperates, this will be one of the best Speedweek events in history. Pack your bags, load your vehicles and we will see you on the salt.

Always remember faster is better, most of the time!

Bill Lattin
BNI Chairman

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 05:09:26 PM »
If you're real lucky, you'll get to see something like this.  Not this, and probably not quite the same, but something you'll remember for a long time . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkVB-t-Z7o&feature=email
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 08:50:18 PM »
Currently raining in Bendover
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 12:51:00 PM »
Station on the flats recorded no rain and camera this am shows no puddles. :clap
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019