Author Topic: World Finals 2012 Racing  (Read 155004 times)

Offline AJR192

Re: World Finals 2012 Racing
« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
After listening to the return runs this morning, I guess that the New format really does convey the fact that this really is the last amatuer form of motorsports left in the world. And sadly it now mostly includes the announcers. I realize this is whatever the FNG's name's first try at covering a land speed event. But it is not Ron's and he is having a hard time trying to cover for this guy's lack of knowledge. He should have done his homework beforehand. Maybe the SCTA needs to put him on a five second delay so Ron can pull his foot out of his mouth before the stupidity broadcasts itself worldwide. This entire situation is giving the SCTA a huge black eye. Too bad.........

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2012, 11:13:42 PM »
From Impound:

The McLeish Brothers have a GT-6 and it's FWD like the Black Salt car...just a small difference in power plants.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:03 PM »
Ray, if it's convenient, stop by Slim and Nancy's trailer and I'll give you access to my 4G hotspot for uploading your pix.

I'm just going to ride out the last race with the hum and static, bring one good tuner w/antenna and a good back-up for next year.

Cheers,
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »
The Mooneyes Modified Roadster is within a gnat's *ss of hitting record speed.  I wish 'em luck.

The "Winder Wonder" (my name, not theirs) liner sez "WV Power" but...

....there's a star in ring logo on that cam cover.

Clayton Ebert (who gets into his race car from a wheelchair) almost wrung 100 mph (99.96, I think) outta a stove-stock Pinto.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2012, 11:56:05 PM »
The man without whom we wouldn;t have this forum to gather as a big family wouldn't exist, gets his leathers on,  Thanks, Slim.

This dude liked the verbiage on the front fender that he had to get a cell phone camera photo of it.

"They went that-a-way, Slim!"

See ya tomorrow, Nancy,

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »
Ray, if it's convenient, stop by Slim and Nancy's trailer and I'll give you access to my 4G hotspot for uploading your pix.

I'm just going to ride out the last race with the hum and static, bring one good tuner w/antenna and a good back-up for next year.

Cheers,

Thanks, Max, but my phone is only 3G.  :(

G'nite.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2012, 12:09:43 AM »
Will the wifi on your computer sign onto my Verizon hotspot with the sign in password?  I can run up to 5 devices at a time and send it out 4G, though I'm running a designated Verizon air card doing 3G for the signal to Meridix. 

See you tomorrow on one of your drive by visits to the trailer.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2012, 12:13:25 AM »
Will the wifi on your computer sign onto my Verizon hotspot with the sign in password?  I can run up to 5 devices at a time and send it out 4G, though I'm running a designated Verizon air card doing 3G for the signal to Meridix. 

See you tomorrow on one of your drive by visits to the trailer.

That might work.  I'll come see ya after record returns

Offline Texican

« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2012, 12:34:22 AM »
Record returns are over and Keith Copeland's Black Salt Racing appears to have broken and coasted thru the lights...and still bumped the record.  But there may be some  damage to the motor.

WOW...they blew everyone into weeds :-o

Ray..could you interview them and find out stuff? engine-blower-hp-fuel-frontal area of car-cd-weight-how did it hook up, handle, ect :-D

My Bville pro computer program shows its possible.

Hp 2550--frontal area 16 sq ft--CD .25 weight 4900 lbs = 380mph

Frontal area, cd and weight could be more resulting in more hp

Also Bville Pro assumes you can hook up better than you can, and I doubt that he could, so he probably had

more hp than he could use and what Bville Pro results show.

JL222 :cheers:

The above posts answer some of the questions.

With all due respect, if you want a reporter at your command, hire me at $300 per day.  Simple.  :-D

$300/hr might be more like a fair number.  Knowledge and skill sets mean anything in this sport?

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #189 on: October 05, 2012, 12:35:33 AM »

Hi Max,

Do you have any in-use pictures and perhaps high level specifications of the audio streaming equipment you have set up. I'm interested in the technical challenges posed by transmitting from the Salt and how we might collectively be able to assist perhaps beyond just donations. For example, does the heat cause computer failures in peak ambient temperatures? What audio to computer conversion equipment is being used?

On the subject of announcer, I tried listening today for a while. It was hard work (buzz aside). We Brits (even ex-pats) have a term (OK many) for such commentary, one of which would politely state "useless drivel," or perhaps "verbal diarrhea" would be more appropriate. I'm might just be a recent addition to the LSR community but, as a man of generally few words, I have to say that I enjoyed previous broadcasts far more, key, informative and delivered in a timely and professional manner. Thank you Glen for your voluntary past (and perhaps future) services rendered.

I'd be happy to help from afar if I can. Feel free to contact me offline if desired.

Regards
Jim

Offline Texican

« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2012, 12:53:56 AM »
After listening to the return runs this morning, I guess that the New format really does convey the fact that this really is the last amatuer form of motorsports left in the world. And sadly it now mostly includes the announcers. I realize this is whatever the FNG's name's first try at covering a land speed event. But it is not Ron's and he is having a hard time trying to cover for this guy's lack of knowledge. He should have done his homework beforehand. Maybe the SCTA needs to put him on a five second delay so Ron can pull his foot out of his mouth before the stupidity broadcasts itself worldwide. This entire situation is giving the SCTA a huge black eye. Too bad.........

Not to "pile on", per se, but I was at the salt today, (Thurs); and boy! What a disappointment!
I guess one of the funniest lines was a quizzical comment about the car with an INFINITY engine as if that brand didn't belong in a race car.
I guess this boy has never heard of F1.

Last I checked,they were doing fairly well powering... what cars are they?  ...
Oh, yeah! RED BULL Just who is this guy Vettel?

This announcer needs to talk to the turkey that owns RMR.

His name is Spencer Young, and he owns a car store in Layton, UT.

They deserve each other.

I, too, empathize with Ron; he's a good guy.
We don't need the ratcheting jaw continual blather.
However, if the FIRST rule of broadcasting is, "There shall be no dead air",
these two have obeyed it in spades!

Jim

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:13:42 AM by Texican »

Offline JR529

« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
Not to "pile on", per se, but I was at the salt today, (Thurs); and boy! What a disappointment!
I guess one of the funniest lines was a quizzical comment about the car with an INFINITY engine as if that brand didn't belong in a race car.
I guess this boy has never heard of F1.

Last I checked,they were doing fairly well powering... what cars are they?  ...
Oh, yeah! RED BULL Just who is this guy Vettel?

Red Bull cars are powered by Renault RS27 engines. Renault owns a part of Nissan and the Infinity nameplate is owned by Nissan so they fly it on the cars bodywork but Infinity/Nissan have nothing to do with the engine. It's All Renault and only "Renault" is printed on the engine cover.

http://www.redbullracing.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Red-Bull-Racing-Car/001242807166675

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2012, 01:20:43 AM »
Infinity did build a purebred Indy car engine and Tom Walkinshaw's TWR took it to the next step by redesigning an all new unit for Indy and LeMans. It was also used as a road engine in a super car.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #193 on: October 05, 2012, 01:28:12 AM »
I always thought MS cars were weird.......then I saw Keith Copelands car and I was gone......then the bloody McLeish's turn up with another Triumph MS, dead on again....I am a fan, yes you heard it here....HOWEVER, these things are barely "door slammers"........front wheel drive when you think about it John ( Langlo) is pretty obvious and a huge advantage, CoG way up front OVER the drive wheels...it's a bit like a dog team, they just whip the shit out of it and hang on, no worries about the back coming around, it's light and it's being dragged along....simple really....but then again 380, with a 360, sheesh!!!!!!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline jl222

« Reply #194 on: October 05, 2012, 02:08:33 AM »
I always thought MS cars were weird.......then I saw Keith Copelands car and I was gone......then the bloody McLeish's turn up with another Triumph MS, dead on again....I am a fan, yes you heard it here....HOWEVER, these things are barely "door slammers"........front wheel drive when you think about it John ( Langlo) is pretty obvious and a huge advantage, CoG way up front OVER the drive wheels...it's a bit like a dog team, they just whip the Subaru out of it and hang on, no worries about the back coming around, it's light and it's being dragged along....simple really....but then again 380, with a 360, sheesh!!!!!!

Well, they do have doors :roll: But yea, modified sports can do a lot more aero stuff than altered.

I could be wrong but Jack Lufkin's sports car had a lot to do with current MS sport rules when he was going
close to 300 mph back in the 60's or 70's, Looked more like a streamliner, but still fast.

JL222

JL222