Author Topic: Australian Belly Tank  (Read 3204924 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Australian Belly Tank
« Reply #1890 on: June 05, 2011, 11:08:53 PM »
  I'm with you. Maybe it's time to ask for a current Salt report. I think that the big weather anomolies are over for the time being, but maybe somebody should make an educated prognostication. How deep is the fucking water????????????????????????  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Tman

« Reply #1891 on: June 05, 2011, 11:37:23 PM »
I think Glen said in the chat last week it was 6" deep

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1892 on: June 06, 2011, 12:40:09 AM »
Feeling a tad starcrossed, eh?

We're still better than two months out from Speedweek.  It gets pretty hot, and the norm, the mean, the average nature of the place in June and July is one of aridity.  Like the DLRA, SCTA-BNI won't cancel unless absolutely necessary, and it's likely to be late in the game.  But if the mid term weather events play out poorly, or start to look like the early eighties, I suspect it'll be pretty clear what's up before you have to hop a plane.

Tman's observations are likely right . . . 

"Summer will be drier than normal, with near-normal temperatures, on average. The hottest periods will be in late July and mid-August.

September and October will be slightly drier than normal, with near-normal temperatures."

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/zipcode/84083

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline maj

« Reply #1893 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:34 AM »
Well thats at least some good news, I believe several Aussie cars are not making the trip across the water now as they think its too risky , there timetable would require them to be on the boat within the next few weeks to make Speedweek. Were continuing with our plans to ship the bikes mid July for later meets.

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #1894 on: June 07, 2011, 04:29:12 AM »
I see that the Prefect has a damper conversion, if you're not using the suspension it might fetch a couple of £ on ebay.  I recall Ballamy did one, but that may be a false memory...
Andy

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #1895 on: June 07, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »
day or two late for the nostalgia posts, oh well... "Memories..."

Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1896 on: June 07, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
  I'm with you. Maybe it's time to ask for a current Salt report. I think that the big weather anomolies are over for the time being, but maybe somebody should make an educated prognostication. How deep is the fucking water????????????????????????  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Doug

....it's colddddd and deeeeep man..... :wink: oldie but a goodie.

I see that the Prefect has a damper conversion, if you're not using the suspension it might fetch a couple of £ on ebay.  I recall Ballamy did one, but that may be a false memory...
Andy

Hi Andy,
I'll have to come straight out and confess that we are going to chop that chassis up.

At the moment it looks like we might reverse the rails and shorten the wheelbase about 25%. We will be using the suspension but we are as yet undecided as to how we will ...there is a chance we might use the front end "suicide" style by shifting the spring behind the axle.That would allowus to put the spring through the nose of the tank and hang the rest out in front of it.......the cable brakes are very handy for what we're going to do.......we'll be using a lot of motorbike controls, hand clutch on the gearshift lever, hand actuated brake ironically with a hydraulic piston working the cable set up.......

The baby is in the Reverends more than capable hands and I am very much looking forward to seeing what he comes up with ......just in case yous were a wondering...

This is the model we had in 1:5 scale sitting on the line in 2005 ......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Dr Goggles

Re: Australian Hybrid racing
« Reply #1897 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:23 PM »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
Re: Australian Hybrid racing
« Reply #1898 on: June 10, 2011, 07:38:24 AM »
Pure excitement....

Sorry Dr.....your spelling suck's (sux) :wink: :-D

It's spelt excrement

Cheers,

Drewfus :-D

P.S. was thinking about this little tank project, why don't you just stick a motorbike engine inside the tank, driving the rear wheels, and make the lid(top) with a small seat to straddle (like a horse), with little bike handles protruding discretely to hang onto/steer with? In other words, sit on it, not in it?
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1899 on: June 10, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »

P.S. was thinking about this little tank project, why don't you just stick a motorbike engine inside the tank, driving the rear wheels, and make the lid(top) with a small seat to straddle (like a horse), with little bike handles protruding discretely to hang onto/steer with? In other words, sit on it, not in it?

Drewfus, I already PM'd him the saddle idea, and then he started off on a diatribe about how camels shouldn't be fed because they get lazy, and some other oddball topics. 

I think he's in denial, but then I'm building a Spridget, so I've got no quarter with THAT argument.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #1900 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »
Drewfus, I already PM'd him the saddle idea, and then he started off on a diatribe about how camels shouldn't be fed because they get lazy, and some other oddball topics. 

I think he's in denial, but then I'm building a Spridget, so I've got no quarter with THAT argument.

Denial? I thought he was in Sunshine
Doesn't Denial run thru Egypt?
That would explain the camel thing
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1901 on: June 10, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
I'll have none of this gip........

The idea is to use a V-Twin Drewfus, no not one of those expensive pump motors but maybe a Honda Firestorm or something similar like a TL....but anyway it'll be run transverse which means we only need about 600mm (2ft imperialists) from the back of the diff to the firewall . Having the closed tailshaft style diff means there is a spline which will be easy to adapt to run a short chain to the secondary that means we've got motor/box/clutch in one package, then we've got cable brakes, we can use the hand controls off the bike, even the twist throttle mechanism as the pivot for a pedal. There's a free biscuit for anyone who gets what I'm talking about there.............

I just went out and ran a tape over a few things.....then I sat against the wall and measured how much leg-room I thought I could get away with....

Now, from the pointy end it's just over 800mm to the small bulkhead, that's enough for the rear spring,rear end and motor assembly.

From the small bulkhead to the nose is 1500 or so which means there's enough room for the spring, front end and steering ( 250mm front to back) and enough room for me to sit with my legs flat (1200mm).....

Sitting legs flat feels weird and takes away your ability to brace too but bending your knees leaves little room for a steering wheel so that is a compromise that will have to be made I reckon........It's going to be a better fit than I thought....

I am not in deNile which is Am-a-zon  all things considered but I may live to Ruhr the day that I didn't read the Seines and moderate my Rio Grande plans, I must have been O High-Oh . :roll: :roll:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1902 on: June 10, 2011, 10:51:13 PM »
I am not in deNile which is Am-a-zon  all things considered but I may live to Ruhr the day that I didn't read the Seines and moderate my Rio Grande plans, I must have been O High-Oh . :roll: :roll:

This is not an intervention - We just don't want to see you in Missouri.

Offline Drewfus

• http://www.smv.com.au
« Reply #1903 on: June 11, 2011, 12:03:53 AM »
then we've got cable brakes, we can use the hand controls off the bike, even the twist throttle mechanism as the pivot for a pedal. There's a free biscuit for anyone who gets what I'm talking about there............

I get what you're doing, but I think you need to step out of the mentality that suggests you need to have a steering wheel....

Sitting legs flat feels weird and takes away your ability to brace too but bending your knees leaves little room for a steering wheel so that is a compromise that will have to be made I reckon........It's going to be a better fit than I thought....

If you just trim/narrow up the existing bike handle bars(instead of using a steering wheel), it should provide you a neat comprimise, a 'bit' of room for you to move your legs a fraction, and still offer you a 'familiar' steering sensation, without having to create more parts to package into that tiny area

Is that free buiscuit soggy? or slightly past its used by date?

Cheers,

Drewfus
"Build it small, Drive it BIG"

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #1904 on: June 11, 2011, 01:57:43 AM »
Kind of disappointed that Jerry King of Puns didn't get involved in that one......

I get what you're doing, but I think you need to step out of the mentality that suggests you need to have a steering wheel....

If you just trim/narrow up the existing bike handle bars(instead of using a steering wheel), it should provide you a neat compromise, a 'bit' of room for you to move your legs a fraction, and still offer you a 'familiar' steering sensation, without having to create more parts to package into that tiny area
Cheers,
Drewfus

Had intended all along to use handle bars....but there's something really un-rock about them in a bellytank....it might be the "coot-scooter" similarities....and frankly if it's gonna look like a chopped down mobility scooter I'm not building it.... plus, the steering has to be super short to go full lock without a full rotation, and that's more trouble than its worth.

It's not about leg movement. Sit on the floor with your legs flat, they aren't much use to you are they?,,,,It puts more strain on your back . We'll have to build a pretty good back rest that stops any side to side movement if we are to have our legs flat....

Quote from:  Soggy Sao
There's a free biscuit for anyone who gets what I'm talking about there.............

I can just set up a spring loaded pedal and run a "string" around the twist throttle control mounted in a convenient place.....much easier than setting up another cable from a pedal