Author Topic: Aussie newbie saying hi and a quick question  (Read 6465 times)

Offline panhead_pete

• New folks
Aussie newbie saying hi and a quick question
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:25:32 PM »
Hi Guys
Have been busy reading through the forum after Bigtim put me onto it. Im hoping to go to the salt next year with a street roadster powered by a 500 caddy motor. Can you please have a look at the image below of an Aussie made roadster body, especially the firewall as its recessed. Would the way its set up exclude it from being used on a street roadster? Thanks for your help in this instance, of which there will be a lot more Im sure - really appreciate it.
Cheers
Pete

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:08:19 AM by panhead_pete »
This year I learnt how to race on the 1/4, next year it will be the salt.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Aussie newbie saying hi and a quick question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:00:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum Pete.  Two wheels too many for me to comment.  Perhaps our resident Street Roadster Guru Stan Back would know.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 12:43:30 AM »
If we are treated to this car at B'ville then Bill Taylor will have to be retrained to be on the proper side to start this car down the course.  Can you imagine tugging the belts from the improper side?
FREUD
Since '63

Offline bigtim44

• NaCl addict
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 10:31:20 AM »
Pete
As long as the body isn't sectioned or narrowed,and dimensionally correct like an original there shouldn't be any problems ,the recessed firewall shouldn't be an issue either.

Tim

Hi Guys
Have been busy reading through the forum after Bigtim put me onto it. Im hoping to go to the salt next year with a street roadster powered by a 500 caddy motor. Can you please have a look at the image below of an Aussie made roadster body, especially the firewall as its recessed. Would the way its set up exclude it from being used on a street roadster? Thanks for your help in this instance, of which there will be a lot more Im sure - really appreciate it.
Cheers
Pete

:-D
Salty Box Racing #622 B/DT

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 10:32:25 AM »
Freud, not a problem.  Remember that he's on the other side of the equator, and so when the photo crossed the equator the steering wheel appeared to move.  That's all -- not really an issue.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 12:51:24 PM »
Pete --

You won't be the first one with a right-hand drive Street Roadster.  It's been done before and as long as you run in the wrong direction, it's okay.  Just try to keep the driver on one side or the other.  There's been a trend lately to move them towards center (a no-no) and end up more like an (altered) Gas or Fuel Roadster.

My concern with the recessed firewall in the Roadster (Pickup?) is that a '29 doesn't give you much leg room (even less in a Roadster Pickup) and you can't have the driver moved in any way back out of the passenger compartment, so you end up with him sticking farther up in the breeze than you might like.

You might consider taking advantage of the 3" hood extension allowance and keep the firewall flush.  I don't know if there's room for the Caddy that way, but it would make for a cleaner and more confortable ride.  The weight shift with a 3" engine move is almost negligible, and you will need to move as many components to the rear any way.

Good luck with your project!

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:37:44 PM »
Please follow the rules relating to the Street Roadster Class in the Vintage category (read both many times). I believe the max set back is 15% and a 3" addition to the stock hood length. If you place the front end spindle line in front of the radiator shell, like some have, remember we are going to use that spindle to rear axle for your wheelbase to calculate the set back. Rear fenders must be the same year as the body and mounted in the stock location.....Good luck....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »
I measure 31" (quickly, with a tape measure) on a stock 28/29 from the forward, inner sheetmetal of the radiator cover to the lower most recessed support leg of the firewall.  Lengthen the hood 3", install a radiator: how long did you say that Caddy motor is?   It might fit.   You may need to cut some.  :lol:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »
Mike --

My stock '28 Sedan measures an RCH less than 28 inches across the top.  That's the center of the hood sheet metal, and I believe that's what's used in computing how it would be lengthened -- so a little less than 31" would be alright.

Our '29 St/R is that dimension.  And the firewall is flat with a Smallblock Chevy with lots of add-ons on the front including water pump and oil pump drives along with mag drive and front-mounted injector pump. 

I also think the Caddy could be made to fit.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
Stan:

I was giving him the measurment without any radiator  :-o to what would be a flat firewall.  I would like to see it when it gets it installed, it's going to be tight.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline panhead_pete

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »
Thanks guys really appreciate the input. I'll attempt to respond to some of the issues you all graciously raised and then ask a newbie question or three. The body is a roadster and fortunately I am pretty short so there is enough room even with the recessed firewall for me as I have a mate with a similar body and its cool, although that might not be so easy when its channeled to the bottom of the frame LOL and the floor is sitting on the top of the rails.

I'll proceed with buying the body just as long as the eGay auction doesn't get out of hand. The car will be built right hand drive but will only race in Australia, hopefully most Wednesday nights on the 1/4 and the DLRA event in Sth Aussie. That way you wont have to worry about pointing me in the right direction at Bonneville - hehe.

Now the newbie questions!
The frame will be constructed from 100x50x3 mm RHS for the extra strength as the A frame I have is in really good shape and a mate wants it for his boat tail project. Besides being dimensionally similar and the extra 3" I'm allowed in the front, what else do I need to consider - I have read the rules re tailshaft loops etc and the boys have experience building really strong chassis to meet our street rod guidelines. I presume I'm aiming to go as low as possible - which is the lowest point of the car being 100mm (4") to make it eligible for street rego out here.

Thanks for explaining the wheelbase issue as I wasn't quite sure - even after reading the rules 3 times yesterday :). As the A never had a 500 from the factory how do I calculate where the motor would have been placed to calculate where the 15% set back will be measured from? Do I measure a front pulley or other component on a stock A? Or is the engine allowed to be placed 15% back of the overall wheel base???? If so where is the engine measured from????

Once again thanks for your assistance - really do appreciate it. Better go and watch the auction for the body.

Cheers for now
Pete

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:08:17 PM by panhead_pete »

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 08:06:04 PM »
Pete,

Based on your wheelbase the setback measurement is from the center-line of the spindle to the C/L of the #1 spark-plug. In addition to keeping the body low (limited in back by tire size) you will want to keep weight as low as possible, as in ballast etc.  To clarify the comment about weight, in LSR weight is a friend and helps in the stability of the car. Keep it low and between the axles.

Tom 

dwarner

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 08:14:57 PM »
Are those louvers in the the firewall? If so why? In a race car you don't want that. I wouldn't have 'em in a street rod only deal either.

DW

Offline panhead_pete

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 01:01:48 AM »
Thanks 836dstr that clarifies it a lot better, I now understand re set back. Will certainly be drawing everything up before I start . The firewall louvers are only there for show - thankfully they dont come all the way through. I sold a complete A model tudor to a mate to buy the coupe in my avatar. He's taking a few days to think about selling it back to me ;) If that happens its plan C :)

Offline panhead_pete

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 01:52:45 AM »
Well Bigtim might appreciate this. Plan C it is. Just re-acquired this. Time to collect some parts, rip the 500 out of the caddy and start fabbing a chassis. The fun starts now! Am I correct in thinking I can stretch the front of the chassis 3" but that's pretty much it in relation to the external dimensions of the frame. Thanks guys.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:56:04 AM by panhead_pete »