Author Topic: bead roller  (Read 11411 times)

Offline sheribuchta

bead roller
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:04:24 PM »
Theres some bead rollers for sale on ebay under sheetmetal tools cheap, for all you metal working guys, especially sumner.
Sheri Buchta

Offline DCarr511

Re: bead roller
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »
They are also sold at Harbor Frieght. I bought one for 90 $ a few years and will say that it does a decent job and works pretty good. I'm happy with mine.

LVMAXX

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:23:30 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »
Also www.lowbucktools.com, lot's of metal working tools
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »

Like Duane I had bought a HF bead roller a couple years ago on a half price sale, but it never got any further than a shelf until I recently bought one of their English wheels on sale and mounted it on the end.

I had heard rumors that it might not be a bad idea to reinforce it, so I did that before installing it.

They also had their large planishing hammer and shrinker/stretcher set on sale, so I emptied my checking account on those as well. I mounted them on the ends of my sheet metal press brake. Getting all of this is one reason I've decided to stick my neck out on building an aluminum body for the lakester.  Of course I realize owning and using tools are two different things, so I'll probably be posting questions for those of you who know how to use this stuff.  I've played with the wheel, planishing hammer and shrinker/stretcher combo some and they seem pretty straight forward with what I've read in the past.  I can move the metal with all of them, now can I move it exactly into the shape I need  8-).

If you are interested there is more about these tools here and also how I reinforced the bead roller:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/English%20Wheel-1.html

c ya,

Sum   

LVMAXX

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:24:04 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:45:17 PM »
............We are looking for a sheetmetal brake and a shear, prefer 10', but would take a 6' or longer....................

You might be money ahead by maybe getting a 4 foot one and taking the longer stuff to a sheet metal shop.  I had to do that recently..................

.............. to get these 6 foot pieces broke and sheared for..................

....... my water tanks so I could then weld them up at home.  They charged $30.  If you are dead set on getting larger ones I would start calling sheet metal shops in larger cities and asking if they know of any shops that have gone out of business or that are going out of business or who are up-dating their equipment and try and contact them.

How many actual bends and/or shearing operations do you feel you will actually have that are over 4 feet on whatever it is you are building??

c ya,

Sum

LVMAXX

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 01:04:38 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:24:48 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »
There are not any fabraication shops here in our little town of Lovelock, NV, and no one in Fallon or Fernley wants to bother. So, it's the Reno/Sparks area if we want something done, which is 100 miles each way.

When we built the '69 El Camino, we lived in Las Vegas, and the primary sponsor owns Shooting Ranges International, and Hal Mechanical. They have everything you can think of in fabrication equipment, so we were spoiled rotten. The owner even allowed me to work side by side with "Jim The Fab Man" fabricating items for the car.

We decided to fabricate and sell different products to Team Chevelle Members and others in the Vegas area. We actually sent products to a member in Norway, and another in Alaska.

They include------------------

1966 to 1972 Aluminum Fenderwells, Firewalls (1 to 5 piece), Side Valance Panels, Tonneau Covers (1 and 2 Piece), Dash Inserts , "Racedash" (1 Piece Side To Side Dash), Wheel Tubs, and Stainless Steel WSW Covers and Rear Window Inserts, and misc. others parts as needed.

So, being retired, and wanting to do this again, we need the items here at the new home, or might rent a very, very small space in the new industrial park.

Richard, Judy, MAXX2
MAXX2RACING

8-) 8-) 8-)

Well if you are going into manufacturing I can understand.  My pieces were bent 80 miles away, but it gives me an excuse to visit Phil and Tony.  I'm helping Shaun, a young rodder, put a 305 sbc I had into his '73 Z car in my shop and next week I'll have to go over there to get a drive-shaft made.  One thing is there is no traffic, so it is an easy trip.

Good luck in your hunt,

Sum

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »
Richard, I have been kicking myself for passing up on a 10' 3 phase electric shear for 600 $. When I was talking to the guy he mentioned that he couldnt recall if it took 1 or 2 Backhoes to pick it up and move it .... I dont have the room for something that heavy. But it sure would've been nice to have !!

LVMAXX

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 03:19:18 PM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:25:33 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »
 Getting all of this is one reason I've decided to stick my neck out on building an aluminum body for the lakester.  Of course I realize owning and using tools are two different things, so I'll probably be posting questions for those of you who know how to use this stuff.  I've played with the wheel, planishing hammer and shrinker/stretcher combo some and they seem pretty straight forward with what I've read in the past.  I can move the metal with all of them, now can I move it exactly into the shape I need  8-).

Sum
When you get ready to build your body, check out MetalMeet.com. Someone there can and will answer any questions you may have about tools,materials or whatever you need.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 07:51:59 AM »
+1 on metalmeet.com   Great group of people, very helpful.  Just be sure to use your first name when posting.     Jerry :-)
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 09:35:34 AM »
+1 on metalmeet.com   Great group of people, very helpful.  Just be sure to use your first name when posting.     Jerry :-)

Thanks Ron and Jerry, I found that place recently, but haven't asked any questions yet.  Do I have to use my full first name  8-)  :? ,

Sum

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »
www.eastwood.com has lots of metal working equipment including bead rollers.  :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah