Author Topic: BUB MEET  (Read 7837 times)

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
Re: BUB MEET
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »
Just got back from the Bub meet had a blast the salt was very wet so speeds were down.
 I ran my 2.1 cc pocket bike to a blistering 22mph in the mucky salt. Derek Mcleash found a huge loop hole in the rules that allowed him to tow his streamliner to whatever speed he wanted to and release it just before going through the timming traps so he took top mph per cc at 58 mph with a 2.5 cc engine
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

stwheeler

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for the updates so I could keep track of my brother(Sam) and yes he IT THE TRUE holder of the record no matter what some people say.

So thanks again for the excellent job on the updates

aswracing

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »
Well, despite the abbreviated racing, the poor salt, and the less-than-perfect running of the event, I thought it was GREAT. I know Jon disagrees with me, but I think this is an idea who's time has come, a motorcycle only event. My hat is off to Bub and all the sponsors for making this happen. I had a blast.

There was sure lots of opportunity for things to go bad. High stress situations, money on the line, things not running smoothly, etc. Yet I can honestly say that every encounter I had with any official at this event, they were friendly and helpful. Even when we got scolded for flat track racing pit bikes a half mile from the pits (hey, nothing else to do while we waited for the course to open), they were nice about it. They seemed to actually want us there.

Not a huge turnout by any means, but enough, and certainly some very interesting bikes. We had a great time.

landracing

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »
Aaron and team did very well during the event taking home the top prize for Fastest American VTwin.

We sat during the banquet and had discussions about the meet. Aason was more then excited about a motorcycle meet only, as was I.

There was dicussion at the table about making Speedweek car only without the bikes. I would never want to see the bikes seen pushed out from Speedweek. Yes we now have a Bike Only meet, which Aaron is super excited about, but the cars to me make the experience also etc etc.

But the more meets during the year the better, let it be motorcycle or car, but Speedweek is the grand daddy of them all. I just plain love the whole bonneville experience no matter who is racing.

<small>[ September 11, 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: JonAmo ]</small>

Offline k.h.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »
SCTA/BNI has been part of the last true amateur speed sport venues in the country.  I'll be sorry to see no room at Speedweek for motorcycles in the future.  I was a car fan until I figured out how many more motorcycles I could shoehorn into the same amount of garage space.  Anyway, as I recall, about 30-35 years ago a few motorcycle manufacturers offered prize money to people who set records with their bikes, which brought out A LOT of participants.  A fad that passed.  Maybe BUB has the right idea with both record opportunities thru AMA/FIM and some very attractive purses to compete for at several levels.  I like it being in addition to Speedweek.  One more venue scheduled on the salt can't be bad.  

So, how many total bikes were there, including the Run What people?  Any idea if BUB will have it again next year?  

And a big thanks for the event coverage to #1.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline joea

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »
kh.

THere were about 40-50 actuall participants. You are correct an addition to speedweek is great.
 Dennis Manning has already got a major sponsor for next years event, and as I was talking to him another company approached him for sponsoring also for next year. There are plenty of people that want it to happen next year.

Jonathan

Offline Freud

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »
Racing on the Salt doesn't have to be a "no money deal." It's just been a lot easier when the sponsoring group didn't have to pay out prize money and can have income from the event. Racers were so happy to be able to run on the salt that they were willing to pay for the opportunity. Nascar's humble beginning seems to have thrived as their prize money grows.

Motorcycles certainly took a backseat at Bonneville for many years but recently have been a prominent part of the scene. In the early "lakes days" coupes and sedans took a "bastard child " position to roadsters. It took a separate timing association to allow them to be recognized. The sponsors of this meet must have been convinced that supporting a "motorcycle only" happening would be of benefit to them. I think it is bound to grow.

Mother Nature didn't pick this meet out for revenge. Speed Week was delayed into October in 1968, because of weather, and flooding has cancelled other events also. It's natures way of showing she too has PMS. Then again, what replenishes that place? WATER. We even pump it back on there. Maybe she just picked an unfortunate time to do her part.

Manning's meet has given motorcycles a place of prominence that they have never before enjoyed.

Dennis, thanks for the vision and the effort. You are to be commended.
Since '63

Philip York

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »
To all that attended BUB meet: A note to the editors of all the cycle magazines would help the event next year. BUB folks did a great job for the first time. Need anti rain dance Dennis (ha). We all need to keep the pressure on the salt restoration project. I am concerned about the new owner / operators.