Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3314812 times)

Offline wisdonm

Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #2760 on: June 17, 2013, 09:12:48 AM »
Congrats at Sussex, Chris. I'm in Gattlinburg, TN and it's raining like crazy. Did you notice I'm only 5' 8"? Be back Sunday.
Stand on it....brakes only slow you down.

Has a checkered past.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2761 on: June 17, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »
Okay, let's reel this one in a bit, set the drag, and take some slack out of the line, before it gets away, the line snaps, or I run out of string...

Horse . . .  :roll:

Cart . . .   :wink:

There we go.

IT REMAINS MY INTENTION TO DRIVE THE MILWAUKEE MIDGET AT THE BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK BETWEEN AUGUST 10 AND AUGUST 16.

You're free to bring your suit, your Hans and your brain bucket - but they're going to have to pull my cussing, lanky fighten' frame out from behind the wheel before I hand off the keys.

Volunteers, at ease . . . 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2762 on: June 17, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »
Chris;

Did you know that a famous French mathematician was once introduced to a pair of prostitutes?

It was a case of "putting the whores before Descartes."

:roll:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

LittleLiner

« Reply #2763 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
. . .

IT REMAINS MY INTENTION TO DRIVE THE MILWAUKEE MIDGET AT THE BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK BETWEEN AUGUST 10 AND AUGUST 16.

You're free to bring your suit, your Hans and your brain bucket - but they're going to have to pull my cussing, lanky fighten' frame out from behind the wheel before I hand off the keys. . . . 

I've read the rule book re: Roll Cage, . . .The rule book goes into great detail about cage requirements. It lists everything except the color of the cage which I assume if optional.   I can't find any restriction to how close you can have the top of the helmet to the inside of the cage. . . so what's the issue?   I think the Milwaukee Midget without you at the wheel is not the Milwaukee Midget . . . .

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2764 on: June 17, 2013, 04:38:07 PM »

You're free to bring your suit, your Hans and your brain bucket - but they're going to have to pull my cussing, lanky fighten' frame out from behind the wheel before I hand off the keys.

Volunteers, at ease . . . 

Kemo Sabe,

It appears to me that you have already crammed your head into one space . . . . . . .  :roll:

What possible difference could it make to cram your head & self into one more?   :-o

Net result would be: One more item off your "bucket list" . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Horseless Tonto
Helmet-free since 1982
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2765 on: June 17, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
Tonto -

So it's my mask that's tickling my prostate?  :|

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2766 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »
MM

That's the spirit. I am leaving my helmet and suit at home. 

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2767 on: June 17, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »
True, the "Florida Midget" does not sound right.

BR

. . .

You're free to bring your suit, your Hans and your brain bucket - but they're going to have to pull my cussing, lanky fighten' frame out from behind the wheel before I hand off the keys. . . . 

I've read the rule book re: Roll Cage, . . .The rule book goes into great detail about cage requirements. It lists everything except the color of the cage which I assume if optional.   I can't find any restriction to how close you can have the top of the helmet to the inside of the cage. . . so what's the issue?   I think the Milwaukee Midget without you at the wheel is not the Milwaukee Midget . . . .
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2768 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »
Tonto -

So it's my mask that's tickling my prostate?  :|

Kemo Sabe,

TMI, buddy, TMI . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Tonto
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2769 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
You know me -- proclaimed expert on everything.  Today it's "containment seats".  Too many times I've seen the comment that the seat should do it.  Too many times I've seen someone grab the "wings" and bend the sh*t outta them.

The best comment so far -- is whoever -- can't go back dozens of pages -- said build it like a roadster.  British Leyland did.  The top is instantly removable.  We get hassled in our roadster about "if the body goes away" -- and we gotta steel body like yours, not some slick muther-humping slick replica (but that's another story).  Look at the roadsters.

Stan

(Nathan -- chime in here if you wanna help.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2770 on: June 18, 2013, 12:48:31 AM »
Well Stan, yes, I'd be looking at a different approach, but when I started this thing 5 years ago, there was no mention of Hans, Lexan or extended lateral restraints.  In fact, when I started the planning, roll bars alone were just at the end of being grandfathered out in a few classes.

A roadster style cage could be put into place, and the top could be hinged from the back like a canopy to get into the car, but at that point, it keeps getting farther and farther away from the concept of a "production" based car.  It's the direction NASCAR has taken, and to paraphrase Kent Riches, there's not a Skittle swirling around that toilet bowl that I can relate to. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2771 on: June 18, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »
A loooong time ago I had a friend had a Jag XK120 Coupe. That long hood doesn't contain any leg room, as a matter of fact the Jag has less leg room than the Spridget. I'm 6'2" and he was 6'4 and both of us have most of the height in the legs. The solution to driving that car was to bring the steering wheel right close to your chest and put your knees between the steering wheel and the dash. Is it possible, thinking along those lines, to pull the bottom of the seat forward a little to a somewhat reclining position?

I do remember the legroom situation in the Spridget. I can still remember the feeling in my shins from the massive attempt to bend them to 90 degrees on a several hundred mile trip.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline DND

« Reply #2772 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:02 AM »
Yep thats what those guys did in those early encosed tanks, just twern't no room but they drove em'

Don

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2773 on: June 19, 2013, 12:07:56 AM »
The Midget showed well at the Sussex British Car Field Day last Sunday.  Grabbed a 2nd place trophy for dragging it out.
This is my entry – let the yuks begin . . .

Ran under its own power –

Best of Show – without a doubt – one gorgeous Cat . . .

An apropos display celebrating 60 years of monarchical nonsense . . .

This very sweet BGT changed hands about 5 years ago.  Kate and I stopped to look at it when it was for sale so she’d have something other than the Subaru, but she doesn’t drive a stick, and I’m not rebuilding any transmissions anytime soon.  Still, I’m looking for an MGC/GT automatic in this color for her –

A Salvador Dali print titled, “British Dentistry” . . .

Andy Warhol’s take on the same theme . . .

Hey, Neil – how’s this for those attempted escapes from “The Village”?

Raise your hood if you’re having cooling problems . . .

Judging by the shadow, this was about 10:30 in the morning.  The tent was where I had intended to spend the first really nice, sunny day of the summer.  Instead, those lily white legs looked like they’d walked through the parking lot at Chernobyl by the end of the day.

My buddy, Mike Buddie – the former drummer for Miss Lee and the Gentlemen Callers, not the former Yankees pitcher – brought out his 351 Ford powered TVR.  This car will shoot out from underneath your tukus like a greased watermelon seed through your fingertips –

I wound up picking up another speaking engagement out of this with the MG3 club – along with a corporate picnic/car show, and an appearance on “Racing Roundup”, scheduled for July 30th –
http://www.racingroundup.net/
If my bands had been as successful at garnering attention as this stupid little car is, I’d be living in Nashville . . .  probably still starving . . . but living in Nashville . . .

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #2774 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:55 AM »

Hey Chris, I forgot to say well done about the field day prize, excellent!  :cheers:

That Moke is a dead Ringer for one of mine!

I am not a number....... I am a free man! :-D