Author Topic: Shootout 2009  (Read 322930 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Shootout 2009
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2009, 06:10:57 PM »
Gone down the course.  Didn't get on the wheels for the first 200 yards.  

I can hear he's shut it off already.

Got some photos of the salt after he passed, but we've got to clear the course so Bub can run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline davebrown

• New folks
« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2009, 06:20:11 PM »
Message for Kurt and Mormon Missile Team

Excellent pair of back to back runs , congratulations

Dave Brown, JCB Dieselmax Team,   440 AA/DS

Still the fastest Diesel in the world but probably not for too much longer

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »
More various and sundry shots.

There isn't much in the first photo without an explanation:  I waked over to the Bullet's pit area and heard a loud hissing.  Then everybody started turning away from the car, crouching  down and making haste to get outta there.  Then the hissing stopped.  Nothing happened.  There were a few sheepish looks and a couple of chuckles.  Turns out that it was an air hose that was open when they fired up a compressor.  People were concerned that it might have been a hydrogen leak.  That woulda been real scary, but it wasn't anything to panic about.

Next photo:  I'll let others have a shot at captioning it but what the young lady with the torque wrench really said was, "I've never done this before."  I've only heard that line a coupla dozen times before.  Have fun.

Finally, Does size really matter?

Offline mayner

• New folks
  • On The Salt
« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »
Go Bub Go!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »
The lady with the torque wrench was heard yelling something about "She was not going to touch the salty nuts on the wheels"   :-D

Offline daudet

• New folks
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »
Thank you guy`s great post and pictures,i would like some news of that snowmobile what is going on!!!!!!![

quote author=RayTheRat link=topic=6381.msg102717#msg102717 date=1253657136]
Since things are a bit slow, here are some shots of stuff going on here and there.

Chris Carr indulging in his favorite pastime, measuring wind velocity. 

The anemometer read 2.4 when I walked around to the other side of it.

Mark, Ron, Kenny and an unidentified crewmember are getting the Speed Demon's transmission back in. 

They rebuilt it earlier today.  (In this shot, Kenny Duttweiler is doing some fine tuning.)

[/quote]

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
Just a quick note - Once again the JCB DieselMax Team has shown to be tru LSR Bonneville racers. They know how much effort they put into reaching the speeds they ran and seem to really appreciate the efforts of their competitiors. From Andy Green to the bitchin guy that got to drive their Push Tractor, they were and are a good bun ch of guys. Pat  :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »

I think I heard the Speed Demon run the 4 cyl. engine a while back -- must be they've got it in the car now.

Speaking of that car, Ron was saying the car weighs about 4200 pounds -- 70% on the rear wheels.  The Mormon Missile, he says, is 4700# -- no stats on front/rear bias. 

No big need to tell you that -- just thought I'd share some of the details I'm hearing out here. 

Jon,

If you get a chance, ask Kenny D. what kind of HP Speed Demon was making on the 430+ pass. Also how many miles do the competitors have to run before they enter the Timed Section of the Course?

Thanks for all the updates.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2009, 06:52:46 PM »
Thank you guy`s great post and pictures,i would like some news of that snowmobile what is going on!!!!!!![

I'm glad you asked that question.  I just  came from visiting with them, the Missile team and the Speed Demon team.

Snowmobile first:  They have it all back together except for one shaft that needs machined down by 20mm...I don't know ith that's length or diameter..maybe you can refer to the torque wrench thread.  Anyway, they told me that they wouldn't run until everything was just right.  I told them a little about some hurried turnarounds last year and that seemed to confirm their decision that they wouldn't go unless they were confident in everything.

Here's a photo.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #234 on: September 22, 2009, 06:53:28 PM »
I agree with Pat, Andy and his wife stopped by the timing trailer at SW. He always gets around to say hello and does love LSR.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline mayner

• New folks
  • On The Salt
« Reply #235 on: September 22, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »
Almost 6 out there on the salt. Anymore likely runs?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
It's Utah time almost 5:00pm right now.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »
Speed Demon update:

Kenny Duttweiler checks the computer mapping.

Then he blips the throttle as Mark reads the computer.  It sounded real good.

Russ, Mark and Gary (left to right) ready the trailer for loading.

And it's loaded!  They left for the 12 mile about 10 minutes ago.  Jon's gone to see what he can find out.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2009, 07:07:56 PM »
Coupla things.  Bub is about ready to run, so is Speed Demon.  There's chatter on the radio about who'll run first -- because of the different allowed turnaround times.  It's all worked out but I don't know -- couldn't figure out what they decided.  But we're not done for the day yet, that's for sure.  It's a little past five here -- and the shadow of the mountains will be over the pits by 7.15 PM.

I just drove to the Mormon Missile pit and read them the post from Dave Brown/JCB.  The guys in the pit were elated to hear that their success has been acknowledged by JCB -- and the respect of everyone on the Salt for the JCB team has jumped further still.  Still -- M Missile is looking for another 9 or 10 mph for the next run, you can betchur hiney on that!

I'll see if I can find Duttweiler -- but since the Speed Demon has towed down to the 12 mile in anticipation of a run I expect he'll be hard to find for a while.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2009, 07:09:36 PM »
"I've never done this before."  I've only heard that line a coupla dozen times before.

Ray --

If you've only heard it a couple of times before, you're over quota.  And I bet you didn't have that size tool in your hands.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"