Author Topic: SCTA USFRA BUB Support for landracing com  (Read 6392 times)

Offline ack

SCTA USFRA BUB Support for landracing com
« on: December 19, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »
Being this is the premier site we all go to for same day coverage, results, discussion etc for Bonneville racing and it requires a great amount of time, money and effort on Jonathan's part why not have the sanctioning organizations add a surcharge on each entry to help support it?  I don't believe any one would object to a $10 or $15 dollar charge added to each entry to help offset the costs. I will personally twist Dennis Mannings arm if necessary. Is there anyone out there that would object to such a charge?

Mike Akatiff

<small>[ December 21, 2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: JonAmo ]</small>

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: SCTA USFRA BUB Support for landracing com
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »
Well, I'm not going to say I'd object to it, and probably wouldn't...

But maybe -- just maybe -- the sanctioning organizations don't need (or want) another entry in the bookkeeper's chart and would rather have us send contributions directly to Jonathon.

I did send a check to landracing.com.  Also - don't forget to grease the palms of what's-his-name that hosts the land-speed.net for us, too.  It's Holiday time (Bing Crosby is singing "White Christmas" even as I speak), so remember those that help us enjoy our hobby.

Last note - Mike, you're going to make Keith and Joe feel left out if you don't include ECTA in your list!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Hank

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 07:34:00 PM »
Good idea as far as I am concerned Mike.I hope no one takes this wrong,but I split and gave away the Bub's money last time,and If I am fortunate enough to repeat,I can split and do it again with landracing,and Bub's.I think it brings out the worst,and will never keep any money.I realize that I am very fortunate,and others can provide for or fund worthy things,but this is worthy to me,as this is my passion,and if it would help continue and fund land speed events and provide a information outlet for those not fortunate enough to make the race,
 Then I would be willing to do so.Of course there is always that annoying thing about winning first,but hey---  :D

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »
Winning is highly overated..

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 04:31:00 AM »
It is nice to see you don't have an over active ego. I wonder why some bike and occasional car guys say winning is not that important but list everything of even minor significance they have done in the last 10 years and a guy like Tom Burkland just signs Tom at the end of the e-mail. most legends and heros in any sport don't have to remind everyone who they are, the public already knows. The more you build yourself up the more enjoyable for everyone to watch you take the tumble down. Humility is a vastly under rated virtue. You went a 246 as a 1650 cc. Joe Amo ran a 240 as a 1000 cc. and only used the first mile LOL.. I would think when he decides to run it out to the 5 you might have a problem with his old Kawasaki..

Offline Bob Jr.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
How true the proof is in the performance! Not telling the world what you have done everyday...
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 03:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dave Dahlgren:
  It is nice to see you don't have an over active ego. I wonder why some bike and occasional car guys say winning is not that important but list everything of even minor significance they have done in the last 10 years and a guy like Tom Burkland just signs Tom at the end of the e-mail. most legends and heros in any sport don't have to remind everyone who they are, the public already knows. The more you build yourself up the more enjoyable for everyone to watch you take the tumble down. Humility is a vastly under rated virtue. You went a 246 as a 1650 cc. Joe Amo ran a 240 as a 1000 cc. and only used the first mile LOL.. I would think when he decides to run it out to the 5 you might have a problem with his old Kawasaki..
Dave since you have personally addressed this to me I will answer.
 What Joe Amo has done in the last 14 years is great, I am still a little green to this(3full seasons) and with our new 1,363cc combo we ran 250mph+ well before the 1 mile...maybe later I can be faster..for now I am just doing what I can...  :)   I am proud of all of the friends and competitors on the Salt and Dirt  :)  .  I can say I have met my goal and fullfilled my dreams in the time I have been doing this.

Dave how did you do on the salt this year..? I made it to one SCTA/BNI event World Finals and was there for 1.5 days..six runs the first day and put her in the yard with a 248pass (after we tossed the 246)and ran 245 plus in the morning..we came back out with a goal to hit 250 and told Hank what and where we hoped and prayed to make it happen and did.

I could not find your name and being new to this hobby/sport I am sorry to admit I do not recognise your name from the SCTA/BNI record books..if you would like to email me or call I would be most interested in finding out more about what you race and your success as a land speed racer.  Didn't you have a hand in building the propster?  
 My email is available if you want it..

JN

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 07:47:00 AM »
Trust me the salt will humble you at some point when you least expect it. Your early on success is great and explains a lot. As for who I am, it is unimportant. My friends know who I am as well as a great deal of the automotive aftermarket engineering departments. I could give you a long list of engineering accomplishments but that would be a waste of bandwidth and I don't need the ego booster. I start every day like it is a fresh sheet of paper and what I did yesterday while interesting is history, today's job is to do better than yesterday and not sit around admiring the past. We have had some conversations in the past both on the phone and on the salt for that matter but that is unimportant as well. As far as the record book goes I doubt if you will find my name in it unless there is some crazy misprint or they start listing engineers and crew chiefs. My enjoyment is designing, building and tuning and LSR is just a hobby for me. I take it seriously at times as I do all engineering challenges, though I would suspect it does not really define who I am in the eyes of my peers. Have a good day and thanks for the offer to call or e-mail but I think I have said everything I had on my mind right here besides it is time for me to get out in the shop and poke around the best I can in relative obscurity compared to your accomplishments..

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 08:02:00 AM »
John....Let me introduce you to Captain Curmundgen....

Dave is a tuner/vehicle set up guy and one of the best crew chief's a fella could ask for... He's not a driver but he gives the rider/driver the best opportunity to set records.

Not all folks are throttle twisters... thou Dave has been very instumental with many folks performace...   From Winston cup to Sporty car racing... but ultimately his passion is Bonneville... ( He's also been to Lake Gairdner )

Yeah he own's an engine systems management company but he's doesn't charge for his time or efforts at Bonneville...  and many times it's cost him just to be part of some of our record setting combinations...

I can't ever thank Dave enough for the Many many hours he's spent teaching my dumb butt how to race a vehicle...  how to build.. set up... design and ultimately how to learn to be successful not only at Bonneville but personally...  

Dave isn't always very tactful.. ( thou when you meet him in person he's always extreamly respectful )...matter of fact I'd say he's mostly brutally honest with his opinion... which might not always be right... ( but I wouldn't bet against him 9 out of 10 times )

His Bonneville tag lines would read something like 21 pass's on the salt... all lic. record qualifiying,or setting...( this was before he started the challange of the Camaro...) he's helped put 5 people in the Bonneville two club that I can think of off the top of my head... worked with a Daytona winner... winston cup rookie of the year... so on and so forth...

Bottom line he's the guy that makes sure the equipment is right... Safe... and has the best opportunity to set a record...  Not everyone is on the cover... there's always highly competent folks behind the scenes... and Dave would be one of them....  

John I had to laugh at this whole thing... just classic uncle Dave...  He insists on the best in everything and only uses's JE pistons...  you two have chatted many times...

Okay boys play nice...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »
Dave with imaturity and lack of patience I have been humbled by the salt..trust me on that..for my own well being I dont have 30-40 years to reach my goals, I would like to move up in speed if I continue to approach Bonneville from a racers side.  A "team" member status is something I feel I need and desire to be a part of(perhaps in assisting others to reach thier own goals at Bonneville/El Mirage) and if you are doing that then I truly admire you for what you have done and are doing.

Keith as a person I do not think I came on as spiteful or malicious towards Dave, I saw that he mentioned me and I responded..a little sarcastic.though
 As I sit here I now remember that fella..yeah I sure do..hello Dave.  Your desire and willingness to help others achieve their dreams is great and I aspire to be in a position to one day play a part in others success.

At the end of the day I am proud of meeting my personal goals on the salt(as Keith is about his own) so I wear my list of achievements close..I live one day at a time and put my shoes and socks on the same as all others...(sometimes foot is put in mouth however;)

Thanks for banter and lessons..

Now back to your regular Topic: SCTA USFRA BUB support for LANDRACING.COM

John

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »
Now John that was playing Very Nice.... Merry Christmas to both of you Yahoo's....  Dave and John that is.... Laura and Michelle you two have your work cut out for you....

LIFE is Damn Good....

Keith
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
Turk
 Wheres the propster when we need someone to pick on. Hell man ive been going to the salt since 1953 and have seen for many years people that are on the edge of getting that much wanted record and red hat. it's taken some 30 plus years to do it. I admire everyone that goes to the salt or other venues and achieves or even attempts to do it. Every race track can humble one. The bottom line is none of us are going to stop. Each in our own way. At 70 years I don't think I will build another car, even thou I would like to. I get my kicks doing what I do and seeing others achieve theirs. For the last 21 years I have been in the best seat in the house. I love every minute of it.Starting this year I will be in a more relaxed mode and be able to spend a little time in the pits during the day. I will pester several of you when I get the chance. I will also support the timing crew as needed. It's been a great run over the years and I hope for many more. Everyone one of you are special to me. Lets go race. The best and Merry Christmas to all.
 Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 05:55:00 AM »
Yeah I forgot to mention.... that I too open my mouth occassionally just to exchange feet....

Keith
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »
Glen, I would like to speak for all of us in thanking you, J.D. Tone, Dan Warner, Mike Cook, and all the other VOLUNTEER workers who over the years have given so much to the sport, and have allowed us the opertunity to pursue our dreams.  Also, thanks again to Jon Amo for allowing us the forum to whine, brag, argue, and learn from each other.  Merry Christmas, and PEACE ON EARTH...........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
You guys made a funny.
 If I had to pick a rider to go fast on a motorcycle it would be a girl. They are found in smaller sizes, therefore, are better streamlined. There are plenty around to make a bike go really fast.
 The same goes for a streamlined car. Wendy set a record on her first run and license pass at El Mirage. In that year she got #1 and #2 in the San Diego Roadster Club.
 It's not how fast you go but how you go fast. We used to laugh about her class being L/ES (ladies extra small).
 Off season cat fights are really great. It's a lot more posing, posturing, and noise than real fighting. They are usually broken up by my big dog and all she wants is to play.
 While the propster tends to pre-brag, post bragging is not much different. The best story is the one you hear from a stranger, about yourself, and they don't realize who they are talking to.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"