Author Topic: Rookie Question!! Motorcycle related  (Read 5954 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Rookie Question!! Motorcycle related
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
My first time on the salt I entered a slow and pretty much standard bike at BUB in an AMA class.  I made six runs during the first meet.  I had a lot to learn about riding.  This was a year with wet salt and it was difficult.  Fortunately I was going slow and my mistakes did not result in a crash.  The fastest I went was just under 100 mph.

The first meet taught me a lot and I came back the next year with different gearing and a lot of other changes.  Now we went just under 120, my Triumph and me.  There were severe handling issues.  I did not have the chassis set up right.

The next year I went back again with the turtle.  Small changes to the aerodynamics and how I rode made a difference and we went just under 130.  Finally I was learning about chassis setup and tuck and the bike handled great.

Next year we will be back with an attempt to break into the 130's. 

I did what I did because that was what I could afford to do.  I would have started off with a real fast bike if I had one.  In hindsight, I am figuring out how to ride, aerodynamics, gearing, tire pressure, rake and trail, preload and sag, and all sorts of other important stuff at lower and safer speeds.  Eventually I might get a seriously fast bike.  When and if this occurs I will know the fundamentals and in the long run, I will be safer and faster.

Based on my experience, I would not sink a lot of money into the little 360, but I would ride it for a few years with all sorts of jetting, gearing, and chassis setup changes.  I would move up to the big Suzook when I felt that I was riding the little bike as fast as it would go.       

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
My first time on the salt I entered a slow and pretty much standard bike at BUB in an AMA class.  I made six runs during the first meet.  I had a lot to learn about riding.  This was a year with wet salt and it was difficult.  Fortunately I was going slow and my mistakes did not result in a crash.  The fastest I went was just under 100 mph.

The first meet taught me a lot and I came back the next year with different gearing and a lot of other changes.  Now we went just under 120, my Triumph and me.  There were severe handling issues.  I did not have the chassis set up right.

The next year I went back again with the turtle.  Small changes to the aerodynamics and how I rode made a difference and we went just under 130.  Finally I was learning about chassis setup and tuck and the bike handled great.

Next year we will be back with an attempt to break into the 130's. 

I did what I did because that was what I could afford to do.  I would have started off with a real fast bike if I had one.  In hindsight, I am figuring out how to ride, aerodynamics, gearing, tire pressure, rake and trail, preload and sag, and all sorts of other important stuff at lower and safer speeds.  Eventually I might get a seriously fast bike.  When and if this occurs I will know the fundamentals and in the long run, I will be safer and faster.

Based on my experience, I would not sink a lot of money into the little 360, but I would ride it for a few years with all sorts of jetting, gearing, and chassis setup changes.  I would move up to the big Suzook when I felt that I was riding the little bike as fast as it would go.       

I really like what you had to say here.
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline brock Hollywood

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »
thanks wobbly!! I see where you are coming from.  Crashing slower hurts less!!! which brings me to my next question. If i were to take a frame, modify it ( lengthen, strengthen, and rake adjustments) while still using the original motor ( unmodified ) what class would I be able to run. I just recieved a SCTA rulebook and as far as i can tell that would put me in a special construction production class.??? all your help is much appreciated! btw the engine is not a pushrod motor if that makes a difference.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:02:06 AM by brock Hollywood »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »
those mods would put you in special construction.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »
There is no "special construction production" class -- special construction OR production (or modified, if you're at Bville not El Mirage)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 01:39:40 AM »
If you do BUB make sure you understand that BUB is not SCTA and not everything carries over between them.  I've had a few BUB participants show up to SCTA events as first timers that have had a difficult time understanding that just because they've run BUB does not mean they are not a rookie at an SCTA event.  If you want to run SCTA events this year and in the future I suggest that you pre-register for Speed Week, show up early, spectate and get a feel for how things work, and then after you feel like you understand what's going on around you you can go run your bike towards the end of the week.  To your surprise you'll be able to make many many runs during the last couple days of the meet. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »
If we are lucky enough to have 3 courses again this year you can virtually hot lap, on a short course, by monday. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline *RP*

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 07:51:22 AM »
thanks wobbly!! I see where you are coming from.  Crashing slower hurts less!!! which brings me to my next question. If i were to take a frame, modify it ( lengthen, strengthen, and rake adjustments) while still using the original motor ( unmodified ) what class would I be able to run. I just recieved a SCTA rulebook and as far as i can tell that would put me in a special construction production class.??? all your help is much appreciated! btw the engine is not a pushrod motor if that makes a difference.

Brock,  In SCTA you can rake , strengthen, lenghten the frame and run in the Modified class as long as wheelbase is not 10% longer than the documented O.E.M. wheelbase for that frame.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com