Author Topic: Driver Safety in Staging Lanes........  (Read 16217 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Driver Safety in Staging Lanes........
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 04:24:01 PM »
Cool shirt is great idea and it should be used, but its not a new idea.  When we were racing IMSA, I used a cool suit with a skull cap that was integral.  It also cools the head area and makes everything comfortable.  I am building one of these integral systems for my roadster.  There are also several  companies that make liquid drinking systems to mount in cars. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:25:59 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »
Cool shirt is great idea and it should be used, but its not a new idea.  When we were racing IMSA, I used a cool suit with a skull cap that was integral.  It also cools the head area and makes everything comfortable.  I am building one of these integral systems for my roadster.  There are also several  companies that make liquid drinking systems to mount in cars.

As long as you yourself are not in the "Alcohol" class... 8-)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
I work for a tea company and I am a teetotaler. LOL  Never even cross my mind about the proof.  But it might help calm some of the starting line jitters.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
I've always had the suspicion that firesuits work so well at B-Ville because they are soaking wet.

Hi Richard-
It's probably not a good idea to have a saturated fire suit or underwear.  A good friend of mine died from burns he received in a funny car fire.  This was on a hot, humid Kentucky day which in turn soaked his suit with perspiration.  His 3/2A-20 suit was heated to the point his perspiration literally boiled.  He had relatively few physical burns from direct fire contact but succumbed a few days later from his injuries. 

I used to soak my nomex underwear in cold water or empty a bottle over my head before suiting up but stopped after his accident.

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
i do just about what slim does except if its real hot i stay in the truck with the a c on getting out to push the bike up and at the last minute put on helmet -gloves hook up lanyard -start bike and wait for go signal   ---scp-g&f 1000cc  willie buchta   ( only 2 of us signed our real names i think the rest are in the witness protection program LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL)
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 06:12:31 PM »
i do just about what slim does except if its real hot i stay in the truck with the a c on getting out to push the bike up and at the last minute put on helmet -gloves hook up lanyard -start bike and wait for go signal   ---scp-g&f 1000cc  willie buchta   ( only 2 of us signed our real names i think the rest are in the witness protection program LLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL)

Willie,

Several folks in this thread have posted their real names...and those that did not most of us know who they are... :wink:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
i dont know who they are         willie buchta  -----when sumner started this thread  he asked everyone to sign with there REAL name --personally i like to know peoples names --ive met people at LSR events and they said hay willie im FRED SMITH  and i said ok where do i know you from and they said im r2d2 from landspeed website --and i thought i wonder why fred didnt use his real name he looks more like a fred than a r2d2   --i guess it doesnt matter ill have to meet you 4 times before i remember your name anyway     willie buchta
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 06:42:58 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 07:39:38 PM »
The three driver back scheme came from too many not ready at the front. Only you know how long it takes to suit up, belt in, etc. If you are new to the salt flats then three back is a good place to start. If you are in your 20th year you know how long it takes and can adjust accordingly. There should be some give and take for this. If the oops factor comes into play then the other line goes. Even if you have the best plans and are completely ready that doesn't mean the engine will fire when you want it to.

Staying cool is only limited by your budget. Putting on the fire suit/leathers does take a while, but there is a vehicle nearby with air conditioning. It doesn't require the driver/rider to move up the line. Having a cart with a cooler, ice, blower and tube to your face will help. It may be only 25 minutes, but it seems like a life time when you are drenched in sweat. God I love black leathers!

And as far as signing with your real name, I am not such a fan of doing that on the Internet. Look me up at a Sidewinders meeting or come to the announcers trailer at El Mirage in September, I'll be announcing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:43:20 PM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Ro Yale

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 08:23:11 PM »
I wear a SFI 20 suit. I sometimes suit up and belt in the car 30-60min. before I run. I find It makes me calm and I make better decisions this way. Calming the nerves has helped me in many kinds of racing. I drink plenty of fluids.  I live in Texas so maybe the heat thing is a not that much of a concern to me. Practice suiting up and belting in at home as well. I spend as much as 6 hrs. in the car before we go to Bonneville. That's 1-2hrs at a time. I went thru Frank Hawley's drag racing school and was taught to get to know the car. Where everything is second nature. I don't have to think about what to do, it's just second nature to hit the chute or whatever.  I don't want to get hurt and really don't like to see others hurt. Prepare early and don't be rushed at the starting line it just makes the heat thing that much easier. Can't wait to see everybody!
Ro Yale/Contrivance Engineering 920/GMR
Racers Race and Whiners Whine!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 10:37:20 PM »
In the last 20 some years, the Bockscar team has never stalled the races at the start line.  Last year a couple of the guys were a little overboard about being in the car 3 cars back.  While a couple a cars back, there was also a track problem.  We don't practice sitting in the car in 100 degree heat.  We do have a computer to start, a recorder to start, a few other pre-run things to do.  Those things are done as soon as the car to our left or right leaves the line.  I did sit up in the car, took off the helmet, drank another bottle of water.  Back in and waited another 15 or 20 minutes to run.  By the time I got to the start, I was soaked, sweat running into the eyes, and felt like crap.  Drove 3 miles and turned out. 
Very small cars don't really have room for a drinking system, it is a thought for the big ones, I have thought about the cool shirt, but we drag a lot of stuff around at the line already.  Maybe it is time to get one.
Anyway, the Bockscar will be going to WOS this year, it is ready to run, but we are skipping Speedweek with it.  Hope it is cooler a month later.

Didn't know you could overheat on a bike.... OK just kidding... We will have the bike at SW, the car at WOS
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

John Romero

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 11:44:48 PM »
I have a cool suit and a forced-fresh air vent for the helmet. Before I had these I used to put off getting in and buckled as long as possible. Now i'm in 3 cars back and am much more calm. I have plenty of time to focus and go through the checklist and I am more comfortable than my crew guys who are standing around sweating.

I cant recommend enough a cool shit style device and forced air helmet system. once you get it you will beat yourself on the head for going so long without it.

Offline salt27

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 12:05:20 AM »
I cant recommend enough a cool shit style device and forced air helmet system. once you get it you will beat yourself on the head for going so long without it.
[/quote]

I hope the cool s##t style device does not interconnect to the forced air helmet.  :-D

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 02:10:13 AM »

I hope the cool s##t style device does not interconnect to the forced air helmet.  :-D
[/quote]

John,

That is funny... :mrgreen:

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 03:25:39 AM »
Hi Guys (& gals) , This is a very worthwhile topic,heat stress can be Fatal.Nick Arias' comment on his lost friend is most apt,our fire suits are to protect us,but in a bad fire they can only take "X" heat before the water starts to boil.The idea of the shade covers at the startline is something that we've discussed down here (more for the bike riders)but see merits for all entrants.Keep the ideas coming!Now for the identifying bit,Bob Ellis,DLRA Steward,DLRA C/GCC record holder at Lake Gairdner Aust.And someone that knows how hot it gets waiting to leave the line,fully suited & strapped in.All the best for speedweek,wish we were there! Cheers,Bob.
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 09:50:44 AM »
This was just behind the starting line at the June Maxton meet. There were always enough people to hold down the easy-ups if the wind picked up. The shade when fully suited was very welcome  :-D

Randy Smith
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc