Author Topic: dual Engine Alison Streamliner  (Read 15080 times)

Offline coolgent01

• New folks
dual Engine Alison Streamliner
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:01:14 AM »
A little help is needed on my part..... Awhile back I was reading in the "Builds" section, and there was a short film on a dual
alison aircraft engine streamliner,that "MAY" make a debut,at one or all meets..... now this was last year or so and the short film actually showerd a little trial run, and the owner was thinking that he would trade the aircraft engines,for turbines, because of the  maintenance,and repair costs if you hurt one of the allisons......I have tried to find some information on this machine and I am either  looking wrongly or  it has gone away......So if one of you outstanding  people with a good memory or knowledge of this rig can steer me ..I just  want to see the progress.................................Thanks Steve 

Offline RichFox

Re: dual Engine Alison Streamliner
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:41:39 AM »
I thought they were Merlins

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:13:46 AM »
it is owned by the landracing.com member who has the green Citroen DS as his avatar......sorry I can't remember the name.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
Dave Cox owns it now. It is no where ready to run.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline coolgent01

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »
Thanks all you guys......I tried to find  that article and could not.......They may be merlins,I really dont know.... I know they were V12's,and was hoping to see it this year.....I went to Portland Or. at Swan Island and seen the only surviving ww2 fully functional PT Boat.... PT-658 if you want to see it on You Tube... anyway they had Packard V12 Marine engines,and those (3) were some big mo-diggers.......Thanks for your help...........................SH

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:31:58 AM »
Damn!  I didn't know that was there http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/.   I drive by almost daily.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
Are we talking about the twin RR Meteor engine liner that was built in Aus?
I cant remember the guys name, was it Bill Davis??
Something in my over crowded memory recalls it was bought by some one over here.
  Sid.

Offline coolgent01

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »
Naw... they are Packards,and I was put in my place,when I thought they were allisons...they are a very serious bunch of dedicated  guys and they are very knowledgeable. I crawled my old hind end down in that engine room and fondled,and groped and rubbed and carassed,and had a serious moment with each one,....There is obe guy close to 90 who gives tours and answers  questions.. he served on one in the pacific... right out of highschool,and just barely shaving and on one of those rascals...... he said "Ya grow up real quick"
I cant begin to think like that...... You gotta have  big stones to do that... kinda like being a ball turret gunner. anyway a good bunch of guys..... If you ever get to Portland go see it... it's free, well worth it.....Steve

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
My father was a machinist mate on the PT boats, Packard was given a contract to produce the Rolls Royce Merline engine, to increase production during the war.

They are the same engine as the RRM, just manufactured here in America to diversify production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Merlin

Larry

Offline k.h.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
The guy who owns Team Obsolete in vintage motorcycle racing is rebuilding  a few of them up the Hudson River from NY. 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline DaveL

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
Glen Davis was the builders name. They were two turbocharged RR Meteors nose to nose mated to Allison automatic transmissions and custom built final drives (4WD). Car was built here in Victoria in the early/mid '90s.
Dave. 

Offline Pete1

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
I worked at the shop that did most of the machine work on the engines for the several unlimited hydro's
based in Seattle in the 50's to the 70's.
We did both Allisons and Rolls...The Allison was a far better engine but it took more finesse to make it
go than the Rolls. An Allison held the qualifying record (about 129) for 11 years. Maverick, driven by Bill Stead.
Ricky Iglesis was crew chief. 2 stage centrifugal supercharged running 80 lb boost.
It took a redesign of boat hulls to the pickle boat to beat it.
Fuel/air/water ratio was 1 lb fuel, 4 lb air, 21 lb water.

As a side note, there is one Allison powered boat TODAY that is highly competitive with the turbines.
I can't remember the guy's name.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »
The unlimited hydro plane that pete1 is referring to is the U-3 owned by ed cooper jr. ed did not race the boat last year and is not racing this year because he is not getting along with the people at H-1. the turbine guys got mad that a piston powered boat was beating there turbine powered boats. H-1 told ed that his boat was no longer wanted on the racing circut.

The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Pete1

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »
The unlimited hydro plane that pete1 is referring to is the U-3 owned by ed cooper jr. ed did not race the boat last year and is not racing this year because he is not getting along with the people at H-1. the turbine guys got mad that a piston powered boat was beating there turbine powered boats. H-1 told ed that his boat was no longer wanted on the racing circut.

Oh,man, that sucks but typical of "teabaggers".....If you can't beat them, rule them out.
I ran into that same mentality many years ago in road racing.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
Thanks DaveL, I wasn't too far off mate. Now how did we get side tracked with wooden boats????? :? :?
  Sid.