Author Topic: Scarf & goggles Athol Graham  (Read 5011 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Scarf & goggles Athol Graham
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2023, 09:21:39 AM »
with the 2011 season the 1 percent rule was history, after Mr 1 Percent....David Tremayne gave up....he blocked the end of the 1 percent for a long time...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline TD

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2023, 03:33:41 PM »
with the 2011 season the 1 percent rule was history, after Mr 1 Percent....David Tremayne gave up....he blocked the end of the 1 percent for a long time...
Tremayne is a writer.  How did he do that?   

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2023, 06:35:40 PM »
He's a member of the FIA Land Speed Records Commission (and has been for quite a few years).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 06:44:06 PM by TrickyDicky »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2023, 06:36:01 PM »
Tremayne is a writer.  How did he do that?

David is the FIA Speed Record represent for GB....

David became involved when Posthumus choose him to take over his work...so, David was at Black Rock when Richard set the record and wrote a book about the time of the record
attempt...than, David, used Posthumus Land Speed Record book and up dated it with newest activities....later, in 2006, he wrote the book about the JCB record at Bonneville, just as
example....in 2010, during the Shootout at Bonneville, the FIA had for the first time his yearly gathering in Wendover, I was as a guest of Dave Petrali, there....Dave is the son of Joe Petrali and
he took over the job as the chief timer for FIA attempts....David Tremayne was with us at the salt at the beginning of the Shootout
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 06:38:19 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2023, 07:44:52 AM »
David Tremayne co-authored my book SPEEDQUEST - INSIDE THE BLUE FLAME in 2020 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our setting the absolute world land speed record. He was very supportive of my amateur writing. Definitely the English-language authority on land speed records following Cyril Posthumus.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2023, 07:35:30 AM »
The AGA sponsor had that painted on the car immediately after we set the absolute world land speed record (630.388mph), still believing their incorrect PR story. The Blue Flame was toured in the USA and EU for a little over one year, then parked outdoors behind the Institute of Gas Technology in Chicago until being sent off to the Sinsheim Museum via a European donor. Fortunately, the Sinsheim Museum signage and other promotional materials describe the car's absolute world record as 1,014.686 kilometers per hour. Since only English-speaking countries (USA, UK, NZ, AUS) even know what a mile is - most of the world has the correct speed. That stupid 622 on the car was never removed by the new owners.

Dick, I'm this Friday in the museum in Sinsheim...will talk to them if they can write also the 630 mph at the side.....OK

Dick, it's kicked on....I talked with the responsible person, they will take care  :cheers:
Pork Pie

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2023, 05:22:39 PM »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2024, 07:21:33 AM »
Hi Dick,

as promised, I took care that the 630 mph record is well shown at the Blue Flame display.

Today they add the numbers and Sofia, she was so kind and done that job, sent me two photos....see attachment

hope you be happy with that.

The AGA sponsor had that painted on the car immediately after we set the absolute world land speed record (630.388mph), still believing their incorrect PR story. The Blue Flame was toured in the USA and EU for a little over one year, then parked outdoors behind the Institute of Gas Technology in Chicago until being sent off to the Sinsheim Museum via a European donor. Fortunately, the Sinsheim Museum signage and other promotional materials describe the car's absolute world record as 1,014.686 kilometers per hour. Since only English-speaking countries (USA, UK, NZ, AUS) even know what a mile is - most of the world has the correct speed. That stupid 622 on the car was never removed by the new owners.

Dick, I'm this Friday in the museum in Sinsheim...will talk to them if they can write also the 630 mph at the side.....OK
Pork Pie

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2024, 09:39:22 AM »
Thank you for that. I get really pissed every time historians cite the 622mph mile record as the absolute world record, comparing to Richard Noble, Craig Breedlove, and others. I was hoping the 622 on the tail fin would also be corrected. Probably too much to ask.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2024, 09:46:39 AM »
OOPS - my error the 622.407 is on the cockpit fairing. At 85, my memory is not always correct. The IGT PR guys were so invested in  their pre-record publicity calling the record the "miracle mile", they ignored the faster kilometer absolute record. They never corrected it. When Joe Petrali saw the error, a  few days after the record run, he called me asking for the correction. IGT and AGA didn't care at that point.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2024, 09:52:48 AM »
Well, Dick,

that's the way they got the Blue Flame...and the car was never restored since the first day they had the Blue Flame on display...

also, maybe you saw....they used the original kilo record...not the later changed version

the later one is on the canvas....this canvas is now for more than 10 years on the side of the Blue Flame... :friday

if you look closer, the canvas is now back up front close to the rear wheel...for a while it was on the back side

by the way, the most people are not aware about the 622 mph on the bodywork....the now solution directly by the video screen...they will understood when they read the information

Thank you for that. I get really pissed every time historians cite the 622mph mile record as the absolute world record, comparing to Richard Noble, Craig Breedlove, and others. I was hoping the 622 on the tail fin would also be corrected. Probably too much to ask.
Pork Pie

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2024, 12:11:37 PM »
Is that my video interview on the back wall? We did that in 2020.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2024, 02:23:49 PM »
Yes, that's your interview....and plus more photo material on display

Is that my video interview on the back wall? We did that in 2020.
Pork Pie