Author Topic: World F1 Champion Phil Hill passes on  (Read 2276 times)

dwarner

World F1 Champion Phil Hill passes on
« on: August 29, 2008, 09:03:55 PM »
Just got word that Phil Hill, America's first F1 Champion has passed away. Among his numerous accomplishments Phil drove a factory MG to FIA records at Bonneville.

God Speed Phil Hill, Champion

DW

Offline aircap

Re: World F1 Champion Phil Hill passes on
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:49:25 PM »
He was a gentleman racer for sure, and fast as hell to boot! Godspeed, Phil.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

LVMAXX

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:04:17 PM »
 :-(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:16:11 AM by LVMAXX »

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »
Yes, definately a gentleman. Gods speed Phil.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »
I was a Formula 1 fan starting in about 1960. I met Phil at the Barrett Jackson auction in 1990 and congratulated him on his championship in 1961 'cause it was the first chance I had. He got a kick out of it. He was a nice guy and truly one of my heroes. Wayno

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 11:22:33 AM »
On the day that President Kennedy was killed I had an early morning patient. The day before I had a call from New York. It was Phil Hill. In his pit crew on his F1 car was a fellow that was one of my patients. As I remember, Phil and some of the F1 drivers were on a ferry in Switzerland crossing a large lake. Dan Gurney was standing next to Phil and a dot appeared on the horizon. As time passed and the vessel came closer, Dan told Phil the name of the vessel. Phil asked him how he knew that and Dan told him he could read the name on the boat.
That did it..........Phil was having his trouble identifying anything about the boat and Dan could read it. Phil told my patient about the experience and it was suggested that he should come to me for a vision exam. After confirming that he would be at my office at 8AM the day after the call, I cleared out my schedule and was ready when he arrived. Following the case history we did a screening and at that time I knew there was nothing wrong with his distance acuity. Later in the test he was able to read the 20/10 line correctly. He had ben duped by an expert but pride, and some doubt, required that he have a test to confirm that his vision was adequate to survive in the ultra competitive arena of F1.
He was beginning to lose his ability to see fine detail at the reading distance and I did solve that inconvenience for him.  We had time to discuss many of his prior driving experiences, the cars in his life and music.
I have more than one reason to remember that day.

FREUD
Since '63