Author Topic: World Finals  (Read 173777 times)

Offline Wester

Re: World Finals
« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:08 PM »
Found this while listening to the feed from the salt:

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work
when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the
rest of the day.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #211 on: October 06, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
Chris, you were right.  First of all, everyone, the system is now down -- and the PA and FM broadcast is being shut down for the weather, too.  No official word on ending the meet for the afternoon, but I'll give it to you when I hear it.

Second -- sure enough, the little netbook that's taking the audio and putting it on the 'net -- the notebook's internal mike is what's been "overhearing" everything up there.  Good thing nobody farted, hey?  If you were listening about five minutes ago you heard Kurt getting down and close to the netbook and counting -- that's how we discovered the mike.  And then he looked -- and found the audio cable from tghe PA was plugged into the wrong hole, and sure enough -- when the cable was removed from that one and plugged into the "input" -- things went dead.  There was no audio at all on the 'net.

Next was an attempt to get audio into it the right way, but by then the rest of the system was being turned off.

So today's experiment has been a qualified success.  At least we know how to get everyone at home to hear us.  Next we'll work on getting high quality sound to you.

But -- we're close!  Hey hey hey!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #212 on: October 06, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
Old racer, now I am glued to the sound of the wind I think?

There's a reason for the sound of the wind.  It's all we can hear here.  34 mph and gusting higher; raindrops at the 3 and 4 mile.  I just heard someone say on the FM, "Call it, man."  No verification but I'll post some photos when I get to the motel.  It ain't pretty.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: October 06, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
Nancy just pointed out (I was using the laptop) that fire and ambulance are leaving the track, so that's a pretty good indicator that the meet has ended for today.  I'll get more information to you later.  Thanks for putting up with the audio experiments, and thanks for your rapt attention on the regular posts here on the Forum.

Later - - -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

"Watson, come here! I need you!"

Well done!  Can't wait for tomorrow!

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
Good work Jon, thanks! Tell your audio geek it was fun chatting with him! The girls were cracking up that when I hung the phone they could then hear the other side of the conversation over the net! Fun stuff! I'm excited that I'm telecommuting the next two days cause I can stream it live all day while I work! :)
Good work & it will only get better from here!  :cheers:
Hope the dampness lets up!
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline DSR88

« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2010, 06:56:58 PM »
Glad to hear Danny Thompson is OK! But have you heared why the car got upside down yet?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2010, 07:29:47 PM »
In re:  Danny Thompson on his head.  Only have anecdotal evidence so far.  That's that it was wet and he started to slip and slide and eventually was sideways enough that the car flipped.  Now -- did the car go over 'cause it was side ways and suddenly got traction, or did it get air under it while sideway and flip for that?

I'm only guessing, and you folks are welcome to tell me that I've got it wrong.  I did hear that the cage worked just fine, and all that Danny got out of the incident is a sore/stiff neck.
hanks for helping Kurt (I didn't know he had called you).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
One quick photo of what things looked like just before I left the salt.  Not much to see...but that's the problem.  I talked with a driver who was 3rd in line to run when they shut things down and he said that he was ready to pull his car out because of the conditions.  Shutting down was a good decision.

Next post.  Photos of Greg Everitt's Stude after the fire and his statements about SCTA's safety regs...all good.

Offline DSR88

« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »
Thanks Slim, We are rebuilding already after speedweek Just want to learn all I can as we keep going.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2010, 08:24:02 PM »
Somewhere between the 2 and 3 mile markers something let go at the back of the motor of Greg Everitt's A/GCC Studebaker. Whatever it was (flywheel?) blew shrapnel-like holes in the 14-gauge belly pan.  It also blew chunks off of the transmission case and started a fire that blistered the paint on the outside of the fender (on the other side of the inner fender) and generally caused a lotta mayhem and destruction.  Besides the fire, the parts and pieces blew the rear tires as the car ran over them. 

Greg knew that things were ablaze and could feel the heat and see smoke and flame coming thru the transmission tunnel.  He got the car stopped safely and the rescue crews were on the scene before could even get my camera up to shoot the incident from the pit area. 

When I talked with him afterward, he had nothing but praise for SCTA's strict safety regulations.  He said, "everything worked just as it should have."  He had a little problem with the lateral head supports, but he plans to take that up with the rules committee.  Nonetheless, he kept repeating how well the safety regs worked.  The fire suppression system went off and helped some, but the intensity of the fire was such that it (according to Greg's estimate) would have taken at least 5 times the amount of suppressant to completely control it.

In the first photo there's a view of the fuel cell.  It appears deformed and I thought that had happened because of the heat.  Greg told me that it had been that way for a long time; it wasn't the result of the fire. He expressed surprise that the cell didn't burn, given the intensity of the fire.  Even the fiberglass hood was unblistered. 

An odd twist to the story.  On the way to the salt, he and his crew stopped at Wells, Nv for gas and a biological break, (That's what they called potty breaks in the hospital company I used to work for) even though they didn't really need to.  He sensed something wrong with the trailer when he walked by the left rear wheel.  It was so hot he couldn't touch it.  A bad bearing was just about to turn into a tire fire.  It cost them some cash and some time to repair it, but nothing serious took place.  They'd stopped in time to catch the bearing before the problem got out of hand. 

It makes me wonder (I think Greg is wondering, too) if he didn't dodge not one, but two bullets on this trip.  I told him that I was happy to write this up because it had what could be considered a very happy ending, all factors considered.  I like covering that kind of story...and Danny Thompson's...much better than those where there's serious injury or worse.  I had one just recently with a motorcycle racer recently that was very disturbing.  I told Greg how happy I was that he was uninjured and I could cover the story with photos and words.

Addendum:  Just after I posted this a friend called me.  He's an OTR truck driver and was calling from the Tooele Valley Hospital.  A gust of wind caught his semi on I-80 between Lakepoint and Grantsville and put it on its head before he knew what was happening.  He's ok, just bumps and bruises.  All of his safety equipment functioned as it should have and spared him serious injury.  This is frikkin spooky.  I think I'm gonna say a few prayers of gratitude for all the stuff that DIDN'T happen today.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:49:09 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »
Some stuff seen on the salt.

Fast Freddie Dannenfelzer's lakester with a 4-banger and a PSI screw-type blower.

Uhh..decorative.  That's it.  Decorative.

The Bonneville Bombshell Buick, right where it belongs...in impound.  (The Salt Cat Jag is there, too.  YAY!)

Stude pickup that belongs to Billy@AHG.  :)

G'nite.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:07 PM »
 Fast Freddy is one imaginative son of a gun!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
Fast Freddy is one imaginative son of a gun!

it's not his motor, but it is one of his crew members. :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #224 on: October 06, 2010, 11:14:01 PM »
Looks like the Stude needs to check the vent on the tank during the rebuild...
The amount and type of fire retardant is up to the competitor, the rules only give the minimum required by the one size fits all rules... I'm sure he will rethink where the nozzles should go during the rebuild as well.

Jon... were you going to post run logs?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O