Author Topic: World Finals 2009 -- THE THREAD!  (Read 124930 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: World Finals 2009 -- THE THREAD!
« Reply #375 on: October 11, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »
Just since my last post I have already gotten and engine pulled from a bike and removed the complete turbo system as well.

Just shows you how much time we can devote to LSR...

I have not got this much bike stuff done in the last 3 weeks or so.

j

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #376 on: October 11, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »
 :-o John!   Bout time you got something done,,,,sides lookin pretty!   See you at Elmo the 25th!    Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Walter

• Nash & Kirchner, P.C.
« Reply #377 on: October 11, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »
Al Eshenbaugh in the Steinegger & Eshenbaugh E/FR got the record in class (to go with his record in D/FR). 

His back up run today was "only" 231...the motor was going sour on the pass.  The class record is now 234.

He had to pull a head in tech so folks could see that it really was just 7 cyclinders!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #378 on: October 11, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
thanks everyone for the pics and updates-----thanks k h for the buell and blast pics ---its bob biehler from washington---bob is a car builder extraordinaire ---if he has his 32 there take a close look at it ----willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline t russell

« Reply #379 on: October 11, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
Here is a good photo of a couple we all know, and appreciate.

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/World%20Finals%2009/photos/photos_10-2/IMG_4802.JPG

Tom G.
Man Jon the rock star hanging with a  major babe.Cool stuff

thanks for all the reports photos and work
terry

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #380 on: October 11, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »
What a great time, though spectating only. Hanging out with people like Kenny Hoover, Larry Monreal -both long time heroes of mine (and much older)- listening to that awesum Reher and Morrison powerplant at full song in Spirit of Rett, chattin' for a minute with Fast Freddie, meeting "Record Rick" Yacoucci, the cool chopped '47(?) Buick straight 8 from New Mexico, listening to Sten Back complain about illegal street roadsters, once in a lifetime salt, great weather and on and on.

The biggest thrills however, were introducing myself to Seldom Seen Slim, Ray the Rat, and the greatest Land Speed historian on the planet, Pork Pie. (Freud was either missing, or hiding).

Thot I'd died and gone to Land racing heaven!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:52:37 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Freud

« Reply #381 on: October 11, 2009, 06:27:53 PM »
The WITHDRAWL has now started.

It's a long time if we are waiting for next year.........unless you are building. Then it's just a blink away.

Thanks Rat, SSS and Nancy. Everyone has contributed to the drama and spell binding happenings but now we better get in gear.

Always here, to frequently be corrected.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #382 on: October 11, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
I'm baaaaacckk.....

Oh.  Just got home, moving the files from the laptop.  Once I know they're backed up, I'm gonna crash for a while, then start on a little project....getting CDs to everyone that I owe them to.  Only gonna take me a coupla months. 

Back to work.  (D*amned slavedriver boss.)

Offline desotoman

« Reply #383 on: October 11, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
The WITHDRAWL has now started.

FREUD

Freud,

Although the season for the Salt is over, we still have two events at El Mirage to be held. If Fast Freddy did not hurt the motor, and El Mirage can hold his HP, He could very well set the all time top speed record. There is still some exciting racing to be had in 2009. JMO.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #384 on: October 11, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »
I'm alive, and so is Nancy.  And the SCTA/BNI cones are back in the trailer, and the registration trailer is washed and back at Hansen's storage, and our trailer is off the salt and back here at the motel, and the pickup truck is packed and ready to roll in the morning, and that's what we did today.  And I did it without too much guilt about letting you folks out there in internet land hanging because I knew that Ray would do his durndest to keep you up to date.  I was not let down at all.  Thanks, Ray and everyone else.

I had the pleasure of being at a 200 MPH Club hat ceremony (well, sort of a ceremony -- a big deal, for sure) for John Dobbs who ran a 221 record on his 'Busa -- breaking Shane San Miguel's hours-old 216 record.  Congratulations to both for some danged-fast runs.  And Steve Benyo, in the blue Centimark Mustang, who got in trouble with Keith Turk a while back for exceeding the allowed speed at Maxton -- well, Steve went from a talking-to by Keith to an ECTA green hat, and today he got his Bonneville red hat.  It's a pleasure to shake hands and welcome new members into any 200 MPH Club, for sure.

And Kenny Hoover earned himself a blue 300 MPH Chapter hat today in the new 'liner.

Because we got busy with our chores I didn't get a list of runs aor records for the day -- but I just walked past Ed Safarik's room and see he's busy on the 'puter (he's the SCTA website maintainer), so I wouldn't be surprised if the run logs and other stuff are on their site soon.  And - speaking of keeping you all up to date on the runs -- we were pitted next to the Rice/Vigeant little lakester for this meet.  During the last few months I've got to know the Rice brothers, what with getting daily logs from them at Bub's and working pretty close with them at the Shootout.  So anyway, the subject has been broached - about the possibility of linking to their computer so that I can offer almost real-time run data.  We have to work on it -- two things I can see being in need of "work", and those are the minor issue of connecting the two computers and making sure the sanctioning organization doesn't object to sharing the run data that quickly.  Connecting won't be too much trouble -- a couple of air cards or some kind of direct link.  The sanctioning folks -- well, I expect I'll need to ask really nicely and have them all (SCTA, BNI, Bub's, USFRA, Cook Motorsports, etc) examine the whys and wherewithals and decide if it's something they'd like to have landracing.com do.  We'll see.

This post is long enough for now.  I've gotta go check the washing machine and see if the clothes are clean enough for the trip home.  Later. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #385 on: October 11, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »
Be sure and tell Ed that we really appreciate how quickly the results posted on their site.

Good job by all!

Thanks.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: October 11, 2009, 07:33:28 PM »
Another photo of some of the people that make the events happen.  Randy Travis and Mike Kilger spend the whole time chasing around in the Emergency Response Truck/Trailer, going to the end of the course after most runs, especially of the fastest vehicles, as a "just in case" plan of work.  And they help everyone in any way they can -- such as when Nancy makes a run on the long course.  Her right knee if pretty well farkled - she's got a doctor appointment for the day after we get back to Skandia, Michigan, this week.  In the meantime - it's not strong enough to allow her to hold the bike up without lots of pain, so I help her launch -- and she aims for these guys at the end of a run.  They catch her and stabilize the bike while putting down the kickstand so she (and they) can relax and shoot the breeze and so on while I'm making the six mile trip from start to the 6 mile (that's how I know how long it is) in the chase truck.  So -- thanks to Mike and Randy for taking care of all racers - especially my wife.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: October 11, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »
Mike - and everyone that's using not only this site but also the SCTA site -- I just walked down to put the clothes in the dryer and saw Ed Safarik slaving away at the computer in his room here at the Quality Inn.  I did, indeed, just like you asked, express the thanks of one and all for him getting the results posted as quickly as he does.  We chatted for a couple of minutes about how much fun it is for both of us to keep the sites fresh and presenting good stuff for you all, and he was warmly pleased to hear someone give him a "Thanks!" for the work he's putting in. Attaboys go a long way, you know -- and he was a smiling guy as I walked out of his room.  By the way -- he's about done with putting the records together and posting them, although he's having some slow-wi-fi troubles down there in room 103 (we're in 111 and it's fine here).  So - be patient and the records will be on the SCTA site real soon. 

And thanks for suggesting, Mike, that I express your thanks.  It's great to get those props.  Here's Ed, and also Ed with Danny (or was it Dave?) Horton who happened to be visiting when I bopped in.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:53:24 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #388 on: October 11, 2009, 08:05:23 PM »
As I watched the carnage called NASCAR I was thinking about this meet.

Desotoman took the works right out of my convoluted brain waves.

Where the he l l  is the recognition for Fred Dannenfelzer?

50 years of hard core racing, an astonishing speed out of an open wheeled car, and he's probably back in his jeans ready to help

tear down the meet. Before he had a dry sump, still runnin' iron blocks, he made so many one way passes with big numbers and

huge sound............. as it blew up !! Finally, still in the modified roadster, I remember when Patti told me, "Freud, we got a dry sump."

That opened the gates. It would live for a record run. Now look at it. Freddie told me quite a while back that he figured this car may go

350. I think he's right.

Seth's new lakester is like a stiletto and Freddie's is like an 8# sledge hammer.

I guess Freddie is into crushing skulls instead of inflicting small holes in the victim. Both cars will make history.

Freddie's will leave your ears ringing longer.

Way to go Freddie, Patty and your animal crew.

Share His famous quote from Gas Up......

FREUD

In Memory of Donnie Torgeson     210.594   1967

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:12:51 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Bville701

« Reply #389 on: October 11, 2009, 08:14:15 PM »
Fast Freddy is awesome!!! What he did at this meet is amazing!!! He is a great hero of mine!!!   :cheers:  Congrats Freddy!!! Hope to see you at Elmo in Oct., as I would love to get a chance to talk with you again.   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member