Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Technical Discussion / Re: Selecting a synchronous belt
« Last post by Jack Gifford on Today at 01:06:47 AM »
Thanks Jim. I'll get the belt info.
Aerodynamics / Drag of Open Windows
« Last post by 71GSSDemon on May 23, 2024, 05:06:34 PM »
I believe I watched a wind tunnel test that showed an open window with a window net to have near identical aero as a closed window.  Does anyone here have back to back tests of this?  or even CFD analysis?
« Last post by Beltguy on May 23, 2024, 12:51:01 PM »
Jim-
Thanks for responding to my questions. The sprockets are all made from 3" 8mm blower drive pieces, machined to about 1.250" wide, to take 30mm belts. The application is strange. I'm building a two-stage drive for a huge 14-71 blower at 19% of crank speed, utilizing a jackshaft. I don't know specific loads. The second belt needs to drive a billet 14-71 (normal helix, Teflon'd) making about 12-14 PSI (into a 91 c.l. engine) at a maximum speed of about 1,700 RPM. The first belt will be very lightly loaded- about one quarter of the load on the second belt, but up to 9,000 RPM of the 32 tooth crank sprocket.
Thanks, Jack Gifford

Jack, I hope you don't mind that I have posted your message to me here in the forum.  I am doing that to make sure that my response will be available for others to see.

There are two 8mm blower belt profiles.  The first is, indeed HTD and the second is a proprietary profile for the Gates PolyChain belt. It would help me to get my head around this if you could provide the part number for the 3" belt.

It sounds like the blower might be as big as the engine :-D.  If you are saying that you are gearing the drive down to 19% of engine speed, that will have a huge impact on my thought process.

I want to mention the ugly thought of parasitic losses created by the huge rotors of a 14-71 blower.  Even with teflon wipers, it will be significant.

I am running today, so will end this post, I will continue to be active in this thread. 

Jim
Bonneville General Chat / Re: Is GTO 766 Chuck Whiteman a Member?
« Last post by 71GSSDemon on May 23, 2024, 11:05:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  I don't do Bookface.  No social media for me except this forum and a mopar site.  I will reach out.
« Last post by Stainless1 on May 23, 2024, 09:15:34 AM »
Burkdoll3111 is Bo on this site.  You can send a PM or email.  :cheers:
« Last post by Seldom Seen Slim on May 22, 2024, 10:08:42 PM »
Bo is on Facebook but seldom here.
« Last post by johnneilson on May 22, 2024, 09:47:27 PM »
not sure this will help but if the pulleys you have are from an automotive application Gates published a catalog on automotive timing belts.

It was about the most informative when selecting.

Do a little searching, J
Build Diaries / Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Last post by bvillercr on May 22, 2024, 07:58:20 PM »
It was a great weekend, great track no problems with traction in 3rd gear.  I was a little too aggressive with the throttle and really trying to go fast at this meet.  Mission accomplished with more on the table.

https://youtu.be/6zdLH9c2deU?si=MMkDnTbZzPQlaXwF
Build Diaries / Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Last post by jl222 on May 22, 2024, 06:55:09 PM »

Troy's not the only one with an exciting run.

Following troy in his motorhome ON 99 BANG left tire on truck blew out.  Truck and trailer crossed up could see whole side of trailer in mirror, steering like crazy halfway straightened out but trailer weaving a lot, slowed down to side of road but no place to pull over. Troy saw what happened and pulled over so followed him at creep speed about a mile on rim. Finally got the spare down and only about 5 miles to tire shop and 4 new tires and $1400 later.

I've had several blow outs on the trailer and sometimes never know it. I thought i was going to wreck.

JL222

« Last post by 71GSSDemon on May 22, 2024, 04:47:52 PM »
Thank you.  Not sure if you  can @ tag someone on this site or what his username is.  But we can see.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10