Author Topic: What Happened  (Read 3019 times)

Offline bearingburner

What Happened
« on: July 17, 2021, 05:14:48 PM »
I've seen no reports from Loring on this weeks activities.

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: What Happened
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »
Heres my report on our testing for Speedweek I made two runs in my car a rear engine modified roaster powered by a super charged gas burning Ford flathead .  First pass the mile speed 190.708 at the mile and a half 207.046. Changed the rear gear went taller the mile speed 191.438 and at the mile and a half 208.442.
  During the event the 10,000 timed run was made. To celebrate this milestone Joe Timney from the ECTA who helped give guidance so long ago at the first event made the 10,000th run.
 Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 04:36:26 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline greencar

• greencar
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »
First and probably the most important, my wife was very impressed with the car tech inspectors thoroughness' and attention to details.  Thank you
Went 163.158 in  the mile and 151.809 in the mile and a half.
New car and have some things to workout and if not ,will see you in the 55 at the Harvest event
Ed

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 12:42:57 AM »
More competitors than last fall?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Frank06

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »
Hi Jack:

The event was pretty lightly attended.  I don't know the exact number but no more than 50.  We think that maybe seeing rain in the forecast may have scared some folks off.  We lost a couple of hours on Thursday around lunchtime but ran before and after.  There was a lot of time spent "waiting for next competitor".

Bob Kesolowski once again had fastest speed of the meet, I can't remember the exact speed but am pretty sure it was 269 at the 1.5 mile.
 For the first time ever, there were no new "2-club" members.

I know it's a bit of a hike for some people, but where else in the country can you essentially get in as many runs as you want on such a great racing surface? 

Ronnie: good luck at SW!
E-Racer

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 07:49:40 PM »
I attended. Left after Thursday because of rain forecast and muscle spasms. Nice venue, nice folks. Certainly no issue getting runs in. I had 7 over 1.5 days. I could have had many more. Was good to be able to methodically test parts, changing only one thing at a time. Or conversely having the luxury or doing a back up run to confirm performance. Oddly enough everything I tried made the bike slower (DOH) until I ditched my drag pipes for a 2:1. Still unable to match my 137 from run 2, my run 7 was back up to 135 after bottoming out at 129 in run 5. I'll be back. 13 hour drive vs 39 for El Mirage.

https://youtu.be/sjq00jWdtjk

Motel lesson: Stay away from the "crown park inn" in Caribou.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 11:28:14 PM »
Speaking of motels- I had good accommodations at the Bunker Inn on the airbase last fall. Is it still in business?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Frank06

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 09:02:05 AM »
Jack - I haven't heard any different but I'd certainly call in plenty of time to make sure. 

Mike - glad you had a good time and sorry to hear you had to leave early.

It turns out that Bob Kesolowski's speed was only .3 mph slower than Jason White's Corvette.  Amazing.

LTA had it's 10,000th pass during the event also.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:06:07 AM by Frank06 »
E-Racer

Offline Jimish

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 01:23:53 PM »
Well we had a good 4 days. Upped my best from 179 to 191. Man, these next 10 mph, like Ringo Star says, "Don't come easy" I don't think on any of my 9 runs did I pull into the staging area and wait more than 10 minutes. Had some computer glitches and other issues but did some redneck engineering and got around most of them. Can't thank enough all the people who give you a hand, advise, tools and equipment, and all the volunteers who make it happen. Special thanks to Mark for his help, us Factory Five guys stick together. Can't make September but will be back next summer !

Offline sabat

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
Here's the Team Forstall report from the Loring Maine Event 2021. Steve Knecum burned all the candles from both ends for a long time to get 3 bikes ready to race. Steve rode the just-built 1349cc Production Busa (current record 211.0 by Ransom Holbrook at Loring in 2009), Mark Deluca rode the 1649cc Production ZX14R (current record 217.6), and I was lucky enough to ride a WICKED 1649cc naked NA bike, the Streaker. All conceived by Larry, and built by Steve.

The Streaker burns gasoline, but since Steve already had the AG-1650 records, the bike was entered in AF-1650. The goal for this bike was to top the fastest NA naked speed of 218.2 in the standing mile, held by Ryan Ostergard at Beeville in 2013.

The weather was predicted to be mixed / rainy, with tailwind on Wednesday, shifting to crosswind as the week went on. Racing started at 2pm Wed, and we all made shakedown passes, but the computers were glitchy and we didn't get our speeds until later. We cooled down the bikes, looked at data, and prepped for full runs. Riding the Streaker is like being launched out of a cannon, the bike is really light and makes a ton of torque, so there is just no way to get to WOT until the middle of third. No boost to turn down on this beast!

The second pass I was a bit more prepared, tried to be smooth, and focused on keeping my helmet on the tank so I could see the dash a little. After shutdown I pull up to Steve on the return road and he is grinning. "Man that thing sounds so f**king awesome coming down the track'  Tom Shaeffer (700+ records) pulled up on his Motus and held up one hand: 2 fingers, then 2 fingers, then 4 fingers!  It went 224!!!  Hell yeah!!!  Steve and I were ecstatic.

Mark went by next, sounding silky smooth, and got the PP-1650 record by a tenth! Steve's pass was strong but the tuneup needed tweaking, the bike had never been on a dyno. Not bad for the first day.

Thursday was 20 degrees hotter and the tailwind was gone. We tweaked the bikes, and Steve got the 1350 to within a half mph of the record, but the conditions weren't there. If he could have run with the right tuneup on Wed, he would have had it for sure. He will go back in September in the cool air and try again.

We saw a bunch of good folks, including Tim Kelly & Joe Daly, Joe & Donna Timney, Don Hass and Scott Horner (who went 233 on a shakedown on Don's bike before the trans went) and lots of others. We met Team Keselowski who went an unreal 269 in their unblown nitrous 355ci Cup car.  Good times.

Thanks to Larry Forstall for making it all possible, Steve Knecum for building the baddest bike engines on Earth, and all the Loring folks for a great event.

Dean
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:37:45 PM by sabat »