Author Topic: Land speed audio from the 1960s: Arfons and Breedlove  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Sam Hawley

• New folks
Land speed audio from the 1960s: Arfons and Breedlove
« on: August 18, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm Sam Hawley, author of the LSR book SPEED DUEL. Just a heads-up that I've added some new stuff to my LAND SPEED RECORD website--audio clips! Here's the link:

http://www.samuelhawley.com/lsr.html

Under "Green Monster" I've added 4 "Bonneville audio" clips from 1965 of Art Arfons and his crew on the salt, and in a room at the Western Motel in Wendover. This is raw, unscripted audio--these guys weren't aware they were being recorded--and it's never been made public before.

Under "Spirit of America" I've added a clip of the start of Breedlove's run on Nov. 15, 1964, when he crashed into the lake, plus a copy of the Beach Boys' song "Spirit of America."

Under "Infinity," I've added a clip from my 2009 interview with Vic Elischer in which Vic recalls the crash of Infinity and the death of Glenn Leasher. This is gripping stuff.

Sam

Offline DaveL

• New folks
Re: Land speed audio from the 1960s: Arfons and Breedlove
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 02:35:13 AM »
Ted Gillette's audio commentary of the Breedlove mishap is seared into my memory.
First heard as a young child watching Tony Maylam's 'Fastest man on earth' I can still recite it near word perfect. After all these years it's nice to put a name to the voice.
Many thanks for posting.
Dave.