Author Topic: How to seal?  (Read 3605 times)

Offline RICK

How to seal?
« on: July 01, 2006, 11:28:27 PM »
What is the preferred method to, provide for "seal" the fuel cell and engine?

thanks,    RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline jimmy six

How to seal?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 01:45:18 AM »
You can do the engine in many ways. We need to seal it so the crank shaft cannot be removed. With a small block V-8, 6 or 4 I prefer to see 2 timing cover caps srews drilled if they can easily be reached, Others do pans if you don't need to look inside....Others do intakes, or intakes to water pump/ timing cover. I do mine on the timing cover so I can remove the head in case of a bad valve or head gasket.....We can also pump it each time if push rods can be removed.

Fuel tanks are normally done with tape and a sealant or nail polish....It's a badge of honor on a street rod with a SCTA finger nail polish on the Gas tank.. Dan????  Good luck...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
How to seal?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 12:42:58 PM »
Quote from: jimmy six
You can do the engine in many ways. We need to seal it so the crank shaft cannot be removed. With a small block V-8, 6 or 4 I prefer to see 2 timing cover caps screws drilled if they can easily be reached, Others do pans if you don't need to look inside....Others do intakes, or intakes to water pump/ timing cover. I do mine on the timing cover so I can remove the head in case of a bad valve or head gasket.....We can also pump it each time if push rods can be removed.

Fuel tanks are normally done with tape and a sealant or nail polish....It's a badge of honor on a street rod with a SCTA finger nail polish on the Gas tank.. Dan????  Good luck...J.D.

Thanks J.D. and a question.

Let's say we are using the timing cover bolts as an example.  If you qualify for a record you have 1 hour to get to impound.  Is it at that time the motor is sealed using those bolts?

You still on your trip?  Are you going to get by SE Utah?  If so be sure and stop.

c ya, Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Sealed engines
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
No, Sum, it's sealed after being measured after you've backed up your record.  No time struggle, therefore -- you're in impound, you've torn down and they've measured and it's within limits, so you re-assemble (with them watching that you don't put in your stroker crank or whatever) and then they seal.

The idea is that once you've been measured you won't have to teardown again if you get back to impound with that same motor.

Ergo:  Before you leave home, drill a couple of fasteners in the various suggested locations so you can have the motor sealed.  The inspectors will have seals -- all you need to do is supply the holes (and the motor. . .)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Sealed engines
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 01:22:18 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
No, Sum................... -- all you need to do is supply the holes (and the motor. . .)

.....and the RECORD :!:  :!: .

Thanks Jon,

Sum

Offline GH

how to seal?
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 10:11:34 AM »
Dan Warner has sealed mine using orange paint on the joint between the head and intake manifold.

dwarner

How to seal?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »
The preferred method is using a wire seal. The Torque paint is a temp solution used at Bonneville.

DW

Offline jimmy six

How to seal?
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »
No Sum I'm home.. Made many stops, but none at any "racers" ....I don't punish Jean like that any more...I guess tht's why she has stayed around for 40 years while I sneek away to race a few times a year...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro