Author Topic: Good luck to all racers and their teams  (Read 727 times)

Offline tallguy

Good luck to all racers and their teams
« on: August 06, 2023, 11:33:10 PM »
As we know, rain at the Bonneville Salt Flats shortly before or during Speed Week is not our friend.  It looks like this year's
main event there may well be in jeopardy due to this undesired rain. 

I'm writing this from California, and it's been about ten years since I attended Speed Week.  I wish good luck to all of you, and would like to add that I have met some land speed racers and found them to be wonderful, friendly people.  It may be rather obvious that one of the reasons that there isn't much unfriendly competition in land speed racing is that there is no prize money.  Instead, people SPEND (a lot of) money to race on the salt (or dry lake bed or airport runway).

Perhaps some businesses relating to this kind of racing make some money, as business intends to do.  Land speed racing is
not about making money.  It's about the challenges to be overcome in order to break an official (or even one's own personal) record.  Typically, the racers are willing -- if not eager -- to help one another, even if it results in someone breaking an existing record established by the person offering the help.  I have a lot of respect for this ethic, and I also have a lot of respect for the ingenuity and dedication of the folks who build, tune, repair, and drive/ride the vehicles.

For what it's worth, even knowing the sad history of the declining condition of the salt flats, I do look forward to again attending Bonneville (perhaps later this year or next year) and being excited by the vehicles and the attained speeds.  But
it's the people that are most meaningful to me.  Again . . . good luck, y'all.

Offline tallguy

Re: Good luck to all racers and their teams
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 02:32:54 AM »
I applaud all the folks who raced at Speed Week at Bonneville this year, and I'd also like to compliment/acknowledge all the
people who prepped the course, and did all the other tasks necessary to put on this event.  I'm very sorry that there was
so much rain shortly before Speed Week . . . but mother nature does what mother nature does.  I am seriously considering
attending World Finals 2023, as an observer.  Thanks to everyone for their efforts.  I consider the land speed racing community
as one that I highly respect.

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 09:32:11 PM »
Go WOS, WF rains out 50% of the time
327,B/GR

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 10:37:51 PM »
Go WOS, WF rains out 50% of the time