Author Topic: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out  (Read 274874 times)

Offline ack

Re: 2011 Land Speed Shoot Out
« Reply #585 on: September 23, 2011, 06:18:32 PM »
Dont think I've seen it mentioned any where, what's the buy in to run this meet?
  Sid.

This year Top 1 Oil again picked up the costs for the sanctions and costs for the officials to attend. The cost for the bikes to run for AMA and FIM records is 5K which Mike Cook charges for course prep, timing, insurance, fire, ambulance and the many other costs involved to run the event.  Not sure what additional costs the car guys paid which would include the car sanction fees. The more cars that attend the event the less the cost per entry. If you are interested in running a car I would contact Mike Cook.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #586 on: September 23, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
Thanks, folks, for all of your support and interest.  And thanks for the donations.  As I told you a day or two ago, one race team offered up to $300 to the site as a match to another $300 raised as individual donations.  In other words, a "matching grant" like you might have seen on public broadcasting - or other - fund raising events.  

Youse guys have responded admirably, with us being somewhere north of $200 already.  I don't have a nice little bar graph of such to show you the status - the matching thingie took me by surprise.  But we've had donations of $15 and up.  If one of you will dig back through this 40-page-+ series of posts - and find the last time I talked about it -- I'll give you an exact report on where we are for right now - - if you want to know.  I don't ask that you quit once we get to that $300 mark, of course :roll:

I appreciate their offer and all of your responses 'cause I don't have to be the one asking for the $$.  It does take a few dollars, for sure, to keep things going here, and every time you use the Paypal button or mail a check or hand Nancy or me a greenback when you see one of us -- every time that happens it helps us provide more stuff to keep you up to date on what's going on in the world of land speed racing.

I'd go on - but have to get back out to the truck and trailer to try to get a few layers of mud and salt off them before too much more time transpires.  Thanks for the support.  We'll try to give it back to you - in spades and in coverage.  Oh - thanks again to Ray for the photos and to Max/Moxnix for the audio work.  I don't do this all by myself, you know.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #587 on: September 23, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
Dont think I've seen it mentioned any where, what's the buy in to run this meet?
  Sid.

The cost for the bikes to run for AMA and FIM records is 5K which Mike Cook charges for course prep, timing, insurance, fire, ambulance and the many other costs involved to run the event. 

The 5K is per bike entered? If you break a record are there additional cost to get that record certified for FIM or is it included in the entry fee?
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline joea

« Reply #588 on: September 23, 2011, 06:30:24 PM »
certification fees are extra...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #589 on: September 23, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
Holey, moley -- I mention the fund raising effort -- and just minutes later a handful - no, fistful -- nah, hey, let's call it a bushelbasket full of dollars has arrived. :-o :-o  Thanks to those that sent money -- those just now, those in the past few days, those that have been supporting the site right along.  For what it's worth -- yes, the donors are often people that fit into all three of those descriptions.

Thank you.  To be honest -- the $300 "challenge" has now been met by a fine margin.  Thanks to those that got this started, to those that sent $$ in response, and thanks most of all to all of the land speed racing community that has embraced landracing.com as THE place to go to learn about the avocation.

Now, really - I've gotta get that salt off the truck and trailer!  I'll be back later on. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #590 on: September 23, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »

Do you have any idea of the approximate cost of the certification?
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline ack

« Reply #591 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »

Do you have any idea of the approximate cost of the certification?

$400.00 for FIM

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #592 on: September 23, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
I believe it's 200 for the mile and 200 for the kilo when we did ours..

Offline desotoman

« Reply #593 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:32 PM »

Thank you.  To be honest -- the $300 "challenge" has now been met by a fine margin.  Thanks to those that got this started, to those that sent $$ in response, and thanks most of all to all of the land speed racing community that has embraced landracing.com as THE place to go to learn about the avocation.

Jon,

Thanks for the report. If you were still shy of the $300 I would have sent my yearly donation in early, so you could get more money. Glad it worked out.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline The wonderful One

« Reply #594 on: September 23, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
Tell you what. This is just the most interesting page. The reporting is first class. If someone will send me an address I will mach the $300. The Wonderful One     errorlessmedical@earthlink.net 

Offline jl222

« Reply #595 on: September 23, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
Tell you what. This is just the most interesting page. The reporting is first class. If someone will send me an address I will mach the $300. The Wonderful One     errorlessmedical@earthlink.net 

:cheers: :cheers:

JL222

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #596 on: September 23, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
Interesting Stats.

2008 Shootout - 83832 views
2009 Shootout - 82104 views
2010 Shootout - 42062 views
2011 Shootout - 12472 views

For the life of me, I can't find 2007 in the archives. I am thinking there wasn't a posting for this event as in 1997 the reporting was done on main page versus using the forum as the medium for reporting. Just a different way of conveying the information from 2007 to 2008 forward.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #597 on: September 23, 2011, 09:29:48 PM »
Click on the pic to bring up the video. Check the pressure waves around the canopy.
  Sid.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/23/this-is-what-a-426-mph-flying-mile-looks-like-in-hd/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:33:11 PM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #598 on: September 23, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »
So who is Top 1 Oil? They need to get some recognition for their contribution to LSR.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #599 on: September 23, 2011, 10:11:51 PM »
Sid, I'm not the guy that knows lots of stuff about Top 1 Oil, but they do, indeed, do lots and lots to support land speed racing.  Maybe Mike Akatiff has a good way of telling us about them -- or can hook us up with a link to one of their sites or people.  But they sure as heck do help us with the hobby/avocation/affliction.

On a different note, please be advised that Cook Motorsports has re-ordered 2011 Shootout t-shirts.  There were some available at the pits at the Shootout, starting last Sunday -- and by Tuesday or so they were gone.  So -- today Mike Jr. told me that they'll be ordering some more shirts, in sizes from medium through 2 XL.  The shirts will be available for sale by visiting the store at www.stonewoodscook.com and going to the store ("SWC Store") in the left side column.  Here's the front art:     and here's the back (personal input here -- Nancy's in the middle on the "flamingo bike" that never did run, but what the heck, Nancy's on the shirt!): 

The shirts just got ordered today -- might be a little while 'til they can ship.  Order now and maybe they'll get more to cover the quantities requested.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com