Author Topic: Milwaukee Midget  (Read 3289076 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: Milwaukee Midget
« Reply #3510 on: January 25, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »
The cape Canaveral comment was priceless! :cheers:

Trent,

Thanks!
 :cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3511 on: January 25, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
Chris, did you know the midget made the GNRS Bonneville book page 284. You are in great company!  :cheers:

Are you sure that isn't one of the porta-potties?  They have the same aero and paint scheme . . .

Woodie, let me know if I can order one of those, and through who.

Thanks!

Chris

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3512 on: January 25, 2014, 11:10:14 AM »
Chris, did you know the midget made the GNRS Bonneville book page 284. You are in great company!  :cheers:

Woody,

Is that the "Century of Speed" book?
F/B

Yup!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3513 on: January 25, 2014, 01:12:24 PM »
Well, DUUUH - I just found it on line.

Might make sense to occasionally hit the 'landracing.com" home page . . .

http://www.bonnevillecenturyofspeed.com/buy-the-book/

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3514 on: January 25, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
So ya wanna flow test . . . . . . . . . .         The following photos will give you some ideas . . . . . . .

That's a Brzezinski "slider" flow test stand with a purpose built BMC 'A' Series adaptor mounting the cylinder head being tested.    The slider fixture reduces the time necessary to test all the cylinders of a head.    Also in use, a Brzezinski bore diameter adaptor and a Brzezinski valve opener slider fixture.

http://www.castheads.com/aluminum_flow_testing_stand.php

Additionally: BMC specific radiused inlet port adaptors and BMC specific header stub pipes made from PVC.    (Now if I can just get PVC headers to work in the car . . . . . .  :wink:)

All your specialized needs will need to be fabricated by you or ordered out special from somewhere.    Knowledgeable racers will recognize the investment here, just to get started.    BTW, the flow bench in use is a Superflow 1020.

Also:   I use electronic data gathering and analysis with Port Flow Analyzer Pro (C) from Performance Trends (Tm).      Trying to gather and compare data by hand is just too difficult, IMHO.

http://performancetrends.com/pfa.htm

Will post some numbers for Chris's cylinder head some time next week after the flow testing is finished.    Followers of the thread will notice that neither of these heads are Chris's.    The tip-off is neither head is painted "Porta-Potty" green . . . . . .  :evil:

http://www.royael.com/images/portapotty.jpg

On second thought, if Chris's head flows like a toilet, maybe that would be a good thing . . . . . . . . . . . plenty of "swirl" . . . . . . . . . :roll:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:46:30 PM by fordboy628 »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3515 on: January 27, 2014, 11:40:55 PM »
Well, yeah, the weather has absolutely sucked.  I took last Thursday off, borrowed a welder (?!?! – WTF CHRIS CAN’T WELD) and stitched in a new piece of steel on the bottom of the stamped engine cross member.  Froze my bag off doing it, too.  I also made a pair of attachment points for a tow bar.  It’s all ugly wugly, but I got good penetration – and it’s too damned cold to go out and snap a picture of it – which saves me the embarrassment of displaying my lack of welding chops.

Later, I stopped by at Midwest Fabrication - Bobby Bleed's shop - and dropped of my front fenders to have the inside lip rolled back so the front tires won't rub when it's slammed.  They are mid project - a very cool '32 coupe that is completely scattered across the shop.  Jeff was still doing a bit of tin work of a virtual refabrication of the body from the waist down, and it looks fantastic.  Bob's going to do the lead work, and they intend to have a running showpiece ready for the World of Wheels show on Feb 21st.  I told 'em to go for it, and I'll pick up the fenders in March. 

They also had a customer's Military spec Range Rover in for floorboards, so they're going to be busy for a while.

https://www.facebook.com/MidwestFabrication

Fordboy has been slaving over the flowbench of late – he’s testing a bunch of BMC 5 ports – some sort of ritual which falls between the disciplines of the flagellants and the disconcertion of flatulence.  I’m sure the nuns at “Our Mother of Perpetual Guilt” would be pleased - I’ll take a slide rule over a ruler any day.

I have been on a parts buying binge of late –

The header is an E-bay item by Maniflow.  It’s British, very expensive new, and calculations are that it should be the best performing of my ever increasing bundle of serpents hanging from nails on the walls of my garage.  Nice bit of ceramic coating, and a bung for a temp sensor – maybe an oxygen sensor, although I don’t know what temps they’re capable of withstanding.

Just above the header is a set of titanium valve retainers.  We didn’t have any issues with valvetrain last year, but lightening these pieces will give an added degree of peace of mind.  And I like the fact that they are new and shiny.

Since the day I put this thing together, the clutch master cylinder has had a slow leak in it.  The clutch still worked okay, but the fluid eventually made a mess of the paint on the inside of the engine compartment, so I ordered up a new one.

To the right of that is a crank trigger simulator for the Electromotive ignition system.  The engine spends so little time actually in the car that in order to become more familiar with the recording provisions of the software, I picked this up to practice working on ignition setup and data recording.

Kiwi Steve made a note in my log book that he wasn’t particularly fond of my choice of harnesses.  They prefer to see sprung retainers in the adjusters.  Pegasus came through for me on that, along with the AeroCatch latches.  And a quick heads-up on these things.  THE REAL ONES ARE NOT CHEAP.  The ones you see on E-bay for $33-$50 a set are NO WHERE NEAR AS TOUGH AS THE REAL ONES.  I certainly wouldn’t trust my hood to the copy-cat pieces – these are the real deal.

I also replaced the rear wheel bearings, and discovered that one of the hubs was really badly worn.  The bearing was sliding in and out about 3/32” on the outer bearing race.  It’s supposed to be a press fit.  Fortunately, extra Midget parts are not in short supply here at the Pommy Pygmy Playhouse.  New studs were in order – I opted for extra long Mini Cooper pieces, which will let me space the rear wheels closer to the wheelwells.

So it hasn’t been a completely wasted January - just waiting for it to get warm enough to spend some serious time in the garage.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3516 on: January 28, 2014, 01:13:05 AM »
Chris, when you run into s situation where the metal is cold that you're planning on welding try preheating it with a torch. Even a propane torch is better than nothing. Your welds will be a whole bunch better both in appearance and quality.

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3517 on: January 28, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »
Midget,

Attached are some preliminary flow numbers for some F/Production BMC heads.    You might find this interesting.

Will be offline for a bit.
Fordboy

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3518 on: January 28, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
Chris;

Re: "They prefer to see sprung retainers in the adjusters."

What are sprung retainers?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3519 on: January 28, 2014, 06:47:09 PM »
I'm pretty slow, Boy, in deciphering this.  What's what?  Or what?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3520 on: January 28, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
I'm pretty slow, Boy, in deciphering this.  What's what?  Or what?

Sorry.   Ya know I write these things, and they seem self-explanatory to me . . . . . . . .

Flow tested @ 28" water on a SuperFlow 1020

Column A is the valve lift value

Column B is the Ex. flow with the std. valve

Column C is the Ex. flow with a "RimFlow" valve

Column D is the "flow difference"

Column E is the percentage difference from the original flow value

And so forth for the rest of the columns.   The last two sets of columns are for Intake flow Cyl. #1  and  Cyl. #2

What I find interesting:

A/   The large increase in low lift flow given by the "RimFlow" exhaust valve Vs. the Std. style exhaust valve.

B/   The nearly identical flow performance of both styles of inlet valves.

Increasing the area under the flow curve is precisely what you want to do.    Especially at low lift, since the valve is "open" for a longer duration at low lift values.

I'm thinking that one of the possible improvements for the "RimFlow" intake valves may be a lower "reversion" flow.    This would require testing the inlet valves in "exhaust" mode, which I have not done, YET.    A reduction in reversion with no penalty in regular flow would be an "interesting" improvement.

I've also added a graph to the chart, which may help to visualize the low lift improvement.
Fordboy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:54:56 PM by fordboy628 »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3521 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »
Chris;

Neil,
     I think the reference is to a wire spring that keeps the knurled bar in the belt adjuster pressed against the belt.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3522 on: January 28, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
Chris;

Neil,
     I think the reference is to a wire spring that keeps the knurled bar in the belt adjuster pressed against the belt.
Jim

That's right Jim - I just didn't really know what to call 'em.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3523 on: January 28, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »
Thanks for posting those, Mark.  I won't jump to conclusions based on the results of just one head, but there is additional potential in the Rimflow valves in that they are a thicker head, which take up more space in the combustion chamber, providing a bit more compression.

Of course, I've already got valve clearance issues I need to be wary of, but if further testing indicates an advantage with the Rimflow, it might be possible to have the exhaust lobes reground to widen the LCA - something Vizard mentioned in Indianapolis - which would let us retain the lift.

I know, I know - horse FIRST, then cart . . .

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3524 on: January 28, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »
I'm pretty slow, Boy, in deciphering this.  What's what?  Or what?

It has occurred to me that we're talking about a rather esoteric piece, and that the term, "Rimflow" - or sometimes, "Rimflo" - depending on the retailer - is a trademark for a valve design developed by Paul Ivey in Great Britain.  They are an anti reversion valve with a somewhat thicker head and confirmation groove cut into the face.  Here's an example of a Rimflow exhaust valve -

http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=38119

The Rimlow intake face is shaped differently -

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Engine/Cylinder_heads/Valves_accessories/C-RIM55.aspx?100410&ReturnUrl=/Product.aspx|Back to

Their development was prodded by a need to minimize cylinder robbing between the 1 and 2 cylinders, and the 3 and 4 cylinders on British tractor motors, such as my lump.  The back of the valve is at about 3 degrees referenced at the face, and the stems are ground down to 1/4 inch to promote flow through the ports.

They've kinda fallen out of favor, not because they weren't effective, but because they were heavier than a standard penny-on-a-stick valve.  That said, I have a print, and Manley is agreeable to turning out a set in titanium, but then I'm setting up for 6mm guides and new seats. 

So yeah, they'll take my money and create all kinds of work for me.