Misc Forums > Do before leaving for a race

Best Undercarriage Protection Against Salt

(1/8) > >>

ggl205:
I have a VERY clean 1999 Ford E350 Super Duty tow/push van and would like to keep it this way, if possible. No rust so I will be starting fresh with whatever undercoat works best. Any solid recommendations?

John

ronnieroadster:
Undercoated my Dodge Ram myself spent the week on the lift doing it made sure every possible area was coated including inside the doors and lower body sills used Rusfree brand undercoat found it on Ebay. Its a very thick somewhat clear liquid I thnned it with mineral spirits so it would flow out of the syphon gun ina light pastey spray.
   One gallon was more than enough to do the truck which has a crew cab and short bed. After a week on the salt last year theres no rust. I did spend time in town having the high school kids power wash everything for the trip home best $25.00 donation you can make to get most of the salt off.
 Ronnieroadster

wobblywalrus:
John, drive slow out there so your tires do not fling the salt all over the undercarriage and take off your shoes and put them in a trash bag before you get in the truck.  That keep the salt off of your floor mats and interior.   

Stainless1:
And pray for lots of rain and storms in Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas on the way home.  :cheers:

Seldom Seen Slim:
Rain on the way home won't do it all -- witness a couple of years ago when, in JULY, I removed the left rear turn signal housing on the pickup to replace a bulb - and found a big ol' hunk of salt - maybe grapefruit-sized -- nestled down inside the fender.

A winter of rain and snow and slop and all that -- still didn't get rid of the salt from Bville.  I still think my idea would work best -- find a fast-running stream that's a little deeper than your vehicle's roofline, then park the vehicle in the stream for a couple of days.

That'd get most of the salt out. :-D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version