Author Topic: Bonneville and drag racing  (Read 1029 times)

Offline tallguy

Bonneville and drag racing
« on: February 09, 2024, 02:34:35 AM »
I may be wrong about this, but I believe that the phrase "drag racing" originated about the time that the first folks did
some "organized" side-by-side racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats.  My belief is that the salt surface was "dragged" to make
it smooth (as is typically still done, with a vehicle dragging a heavy weight across the salt).

The goal in typical drag racing (i.e., on a dragstrip) is to get to the finish line before your competitor does.  A big deal in all of this is how well your vehicle can accelerate.  In land speed racing, it appears that the big deal is what top speed can be attained while on the course, specifically in the measured mile (or kilometer, as the case may be).

Accelerating safely in a straight line is common to drag racing and land speed racing.  And there are a few names of racers
I have met who were relatively well-known (in those racing circles) who have done both.

Among them are Boris Murray and Leo Payne, both in motorcycling.  They both rode top fuel motorcycles as drag racers,
and later made attempts to break motorcycle land speed records (in their respective classes) at Bonneville.

I was in my twenties when I visited Boris Murray at his home in Laverne, California.  I had seen his pickup truck, with its
camper shell, at some drag races in southern California (this was in the early '70s).  I had read -- in a motorcycle magazine --
that he built dragbike frames for others, and I wanted to work for him as a weldor.  This never happened, but I still have
fond memories of talking to him in his home garage. 

Another time (this was at the Irwindale drag strip, about 30 miles east of Los Angeles), I watched something come off of Leo Payne's Harley-Davidson dragbike when he blew an engine during a run.  Later, in the pit area, I saw his bike.  It was missing a cylinder.  I was holding part of the engine -- either a head, or a cylinder -- in my hand, and didn't know that I was being photographed.  Imagine my thrill, (still about 22 years old) a couple months later, when I was reading a motorcycle magazine, to see my picture in it -- holding part of Leo Payne's engine!  And in fact, when I saw that pic for the first time, I was wearing my favorite blue shirt . . . the same one that I was wearing that day when I got photographed at that race.  What a kick!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 02:37:05 AM by tallguy »

Offline MAYOMAN

Re: Bonneville and drag racing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 09:51:43 AM »
We used to watch drag racing in the early 1950s at Halfday drag strip near Halfday, Illinois. It was an old primitive air strip, promoted by the Granatelli brothers (Grancor speed shop) for a few years.
Hot rods were pretty primitive back then, and the Top Eliminator was usually a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Our dads drove us there and we sat on wooden benches alongside the strip. I don't believe they went much over 100mph.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 09:59:05 AM »
Notice the spectators alongside the pavement. I hope the jpg is here.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline 1leg

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 12:22:17 PM »
I'm going to disagree that the phrase "drag Racing" has anything to do with draging the surface at bonneville.
I think it originated with street racing in the socal hot rod scene in the late 40s and may have been the police that first said it. Some  say it may have started with the motorcyle clubs after world war 2.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 12:41:54 PM »
🤔....And the primary road thru town was the "Main Drag"... I doubt we will ever know the where the term originated.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 01:04:23 PM »
I may be wrong about this,   

I'd say your are wrong!

Before the salt was being prepped with a drag it was cut with a road grader & the black line was laid down with used oil from Tooele County. Those were the days when there was actually salt crust thickness.
  Sid.

Offline 1leg

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 01:29:57 PM »
🤔.I doubt we will ever know the where the term originated.

I agree we will never know for sure!
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 01:54:31 PM »
the word drag has something to do with

OLD ENGLISH

the word drag is a very old English word and it was used for a long time instead of road/street....

over the last hundreds of years the English language changed and new words replaced old words.

an example...

before WW II in England the word QUIETING was still a standard used word...after WW II the word SILENCE became the standard use and replaced quieting

and so, DRAG, was a word which was used for street and road....

it looks that someone was still familiar with the word DRAG for street, when they start to race at the street in California....street race....drag race...

Drag Race sounds good...heck...why not keep it for that fun...

Today we are seeing so "misuse" of words for new things...especially in the digital/computer world....a lot of terms in the digital/computer world had originally a total different meaning....

hope this clarifies the word drag race
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 02:58:41 PM »
Please don't ask a drag queen!  :?
Sorry, but is Friday!  :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 03:30:40 PM »
I think Thomas may be right. How often do we refer to the "main drag" as the principal street in a town?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 03:32:00 PM »

I'm not surprised about this comment....

especially that it comes from you, Woody....

well, there was the possibility that two or three other character here on Landracing could response that way....but you won that race.... :friday :friday :friday
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 03:34:14 PM »
I don't think he means Jungle Pam, folks!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 03:45:49 PM »
I read in a Hot Rod magazine that it came from the words "drag it out", in other words race it but who knows

Offline tallguy

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 04:11:58 PM »
I don't think he means Jungle Pam, folks!

I sure remember her!  And I never questioned her gender.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 06:46:44 PM »
Ah the good old days when people where pretty much ball bearing or child bearing! cromag
  Sid.