Author Topic: EDUCATION  (Read 3208 times)

SALTRACER

EDUCATION
« on: July 22, 2005, 12:44:14 AM »
What education do some of you guys have? I have a friend of the family who is interested in aerodynamics, design, and R&D.  LSR people are some of the smartest and most innovative racers around.  I know someone on this board will have some answers.   If any one could post some good schools and what degrees he should be looking into we would appreciate this.  He is very mathematically inclined, and knows his way around any car.  I suggested Wyo-tech to him, but he wants to study something that will allow him to be involved with a R&D/aerodynamic aspect of automobile design.  I then suggested a engineering degree? Any Info will be appreciated.  If you or any one you know has an advanced degree that has allowed them to do any thing like I have mentioned please post your thoughts.   :?:

John Beckett

EDUCATION
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 08:16:08 AM »
If he is looking for a 4 year degree... try Clemson University. I understand they have an engineering program related to automotive applications. Also have heard that they are building a $40M wind tunnel to supplement the program.

Look into Univ. of NC @ Charlotte they also have an engineering program related to automotive applications. Know a student there who did a fantastic CAD chassis design. They may build it and test run at Maxton.

What was the College that ran the 300 MPH electric car at Bonneville? Univ. of Ohio? They may have something too.

JB

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
EDUCATION
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 09:21:42 AM »
The Buckeye Bullet is from Ohio State University.  I don't think there's "University of Ohio", and Ohio University is the "Bobcats", not the Buckeyes.

Got that straight?

I don't know if OSU has a big or small engineering department -- or just a couple of racer/profs that convinced the department head that an electric car would be a cool project.  I graduated from Michigan Tech, an engineering school that's even farther way up north -- but they don't have an automotive specialty per se -- even though about a zillion of Tech's grads work in the automotive industry.  My degree is in Liberal Arts...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

John Beckett

EDUCATION
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 12:33:47 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
The Buckeye Bullet is from Ohio State University.  I don't think there's "University of Ohio", and Ohio University is the "Bobcats", not the Buckeyes.

Got that straight?

OK Slim, Ohio State, Buckeyes, got it.

JB

Offline jimmy six

EDUCATION
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 07:39:41 PM »
I would start with a good "parochial" grade school where the teachers know how to "properly" use a ruler. (wood preferred) IMO
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline promachine

EDUCATION
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 10:41:06 PM »
There is allways the school of hard knocks. He could take a coarse in
"trial and error".
Sombody once told me "If you want to go as fast as everybody else, do
what they are doing, but if you want to go faster, you got to come up
with your own ideas.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline joea

EDUCATION
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 10:45:40 PM »
ps JB, its even more corectly... known as "THE" Ohio State University.......

Saltracer........I STRONGLY recommend you
pass on the prospects JB offered.....they have awesome
programs, and based in the heart of Nascar land,  they utilize
many of the advanced technologies in pushing those things
around..........

most all of the mainstream Universities with engineering
departments,  have SAE teams and projects fielding: SAE baja, SAE formula cars, SAE electric cars of varying types etc..........

Joe :)

Offline wolcottjl

Education
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 05:04:53 PM »
I would put in a vote for Clemson.  Of course I am a bit biased since my oldest is attending.  But on the other hand they are building a new facility for automotive and Automotive Racing research.  They have lots of funding and some top partners - BMW is putting in a research group onsite, Michelin and IBM are funding.  SAE is putting a research group onsite and they are getting support from some NASCAR teams.  

The name of the facility is ICAR - It will be a seperate campus - though nearby to the main campus.

Last but not least - He loves the school - Had choices to some top schools in the country but chose clemson.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010