Author Topic: 50th Anniversary NSU Record  (Read 9191 times)

Offline Stan Back

50th Anniversary NSU Record
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
Is that the Hindenberg replica in the first photo?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 05:06:21 PM »
Is that the Hindenberg replica in the first photo?

NOOOO, I think we would need a little bit longer to build a replica from the Hindenburg. But the airport close to Munich, where we done the test runs is a place where this advertisment blimp start with paying guests.

So every hour he is back from his round tour. So I was lucky to get them in the background.

To the comment about the BNI rules, sure , there would be lot to do, but from the engineering position it's only a challenge............not a opportunity :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 05:08:29 PM »
Just some picture that you can see how it looks inside.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline joea

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 09:18:44 PM »
bak.........the bike doesnt meet FIM rules either...........

Dennis/BUB might allow it to run during their meet......

but is doesnt meet current FIM rules for streamliners........

'someone" needs to take a long look at the motorcycle rules
alright.........

AND ITS NOT JUST THE SCTA...................

the FIM rules and classification system was shkkt canned
when Dennis started BUB........now the FIM rules are nearly
a carbon copy of the SCTA rules...............

in fact with recent changes to SCTA there exists more streamlining
allowances in SCTA than the FIM...........

and instead of running against a century of FIM prestige.......fim
attempts are against a book of completely open records.....except for
a couple classes.................

Joe :)

Offline Freud

WHO?
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 09:41:33 PM »
Who wants to ride that between the 4 and the 5 if the wind comes up after you leave the starting line?

No Balls FREUD
Since '63

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 12:31:12 AM »
Me please!!  I couldn't afford to build it nor do I have the skill to do so.  If a rider is needed I'll be glad to volunteer.  You are completely enclosed.  How much harm can come?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FUTURE ?
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 02:33:01 AM »
While the bike may have certain aerodynamic features that look good on paper and the wind tunnel, all streamliners have crashed for very much the same reason that is really no mystery.
It lacks the rider protection that is required by the rules that has proven it's worth many times.
When you can predict the wind changes over the length of a run on the salt and in particular when you go by the notch in the mountain, you will find the gentle 3mph gets worse when it stops without asking you and if it turns 180 deg. , that is a suck +6.
A sailor can see the patterns on the water and adjust.
 A crashed bike leaves marks that are a little late for you.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 11:17:01 AM »
Joea......I don't recall stating that Heinz's bike was within FIM rules...actualy it does not meet
any M/C rules out there.  But at least he gets a run on the salt at the BUB Meet......but it does look like we all feel that the M/C rules accrossed the world for landracing need to be looked at.
When I saw his Dad run the NSU'S
on the salt in 1956, they had a problem with wind on all their streamliners.  The CAN-AM 125c.c.
record set in 1973 (that still stands today) had extensive windunnel testing....but had to be modified on the salt in order to be stable....windtunnel testing does not tell the whole story.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
50th
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 11:44:12 AM »
The starters are required to check wind conditions for all stream liners regardless of the number of wheels. This is something we do automatically when the wind (cross) is above 8 mph for all faster cars and bikes.  :D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
DON'T RUIN IT FOR EVERYBODY
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 12:17:10 PM »
The event directors are not supposed to be showboating for the stands.
In spite of all the good efforts and experience represented by Glen
and others, certain "CARNI" types will take chances that are not in the best interest of the future of the sport.
The bikes within the reasonable rules enjoy a great safety record that has been developed for many years.
To allow a substandard bike to run in the face of the published rules will give the
Insurance Carrier cause to have a fit at your added expense.
Even if nothing happens, that policy failure can be used against your defence of an entirely unrelated event.
How would you explain that to anybody ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

bak189

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 01:06:26 PM »
The point I have been trying to make is the fact that the rules are
WAY overboard. If a Moto-GP rider wanted to run landracing with his
Moto-GP bike it would not be legal to run....in fact no roadrace bike would be legal.  (they also run close to 200mph) What is going to be very interesting, USFRA is going to let the roadracers of the Vintage M/C club AHRMA take their bikes for a run on the salt. (they have a roadrace at Millers track)
....they have no chain-guards.....
they do not wire the front-axcle
pinch bolts, and I could go on and on....USFRA runs the same M/C rules as BNI.....Right...Lets see if the
entry dollars over-rule the M/C rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
P.S. I almost forgot....they can NOT wear their roadrace- leathers
....not legal

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
NOTHING HAS CHANGED
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »
Every rule in motor sports has a basis in experience, some of it better than others.
To back up to the crash and injury rate of every other MC sport for the sake of generating
entries is not much different than bar stools or blind drivers.
The better safety rules all have direct testimony
 from the survivors and the degree of injury can
 best be told by them if you ask.
Rules based on idle speculation are  counter productive but when in violation of your own printed
 standards, you violate the future of the whole thing. :wink:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 04:18:46 PM »
OOOPPPPPSSSSSSS,

I kicked something in :wink:

Alright, first of all, this is a 50 Anniversary run to honour the record of Wilhelm Herz on the 4th August 1956 - first over 300 kph and 200 mph.

To get him a official status the bike got the rights to run under FIM.

Heinz has no interest to set a record - the data shows a possible speed of 225 mph with 115 hp (on rear wheel).

He also will be carefully enough and he knows about the wind problems at the salt - I explained him everything.

The other is - he rode the original Delfin I - also by cross wind - this bike is more sensitve by crosswind than the Delfin III.

Also the replica got a much better chassis under the body than the original configuration, the airshifter helps too.

For serious records this bike couldn't be allowed, we know that, too.

But on the other side - is it not great, that Heinz done all the work to remember a real great record which was set in 1956.

Bringing back all the memories.

Heinz takes a lot of old picture material and other stuff to salt, about the NSU activities and Wilhelm Herz records - he was 1965 back and set some more records on 4 wheels - the Delfin IV couldn`t be run due to bad weather.

So see Heinz in the pits, it will be a pleasure for him to call you welcome.
Pork Pie

bak189

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »
It will be great to see the name
"NSU" back on the salt......and he certainly is welcome to take one of our 125c.c. out for a test run down the course.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 05:58:34 PM »
It will be great to see the name
"NSU" back on the salt......and he certainly is welcome to take one of our 125c.c. out for a test run down the course.

I forward your other note to Heinz, got today the answer. He sound very happy and says thank you - he got your starting numbers in the pocket.

I think Heinz sleep now a little bit better. Done him a little bit nervous, thinking he has to ride the NSU directly w?thout some miles on the salt.

Honestly, at the beginning Heinz was not aware of this what all had to be done to get the bike at the salt.

Luckily we are a big family, so there was a lot of supports, so as your help.

Thank you.
Pork Pie