Author Topic: Here's why I was AWOL today  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Here's why I was AWOL today
« on: August 05, 2023, 12:56:09 AM »
Last night I got a call from a racer at his motel asking me to come visit to meet the folks staying in the next room.  I went over there today and chatted for quite while with this lady who'd never been to the salt but wanted to see it in person.  She said her gramps raced here quite a ways back, and she wanted to go out on the race course where he ran.  I'm picking up Robyn and Greg, her travel companion, in the morning to show them around.  I'd love to take her out to the course but the officials told me "No" because of the water out there still.  Maybe they'll let me drive them out6 there, but if not I'll show these folks what I can, anyway.  I think it's worth the risk to show Burt Munro's granddaughter around, don't you agree?

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ii147/SeldomSeenSlim/Screenshot_2023-08-04_at_10.48.24_PM.png
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rockracer

Re: Here's why I was AWOL today
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 01:44:49 AM »
Very cool. 😎

Offline GD

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 08:31:14 AM »
Wow!
Gord Driedger
53 Studebaker
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/FCC 162.698
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/GCC 158.978

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 10:19:52 AM »
Bonneville Royalty.  SB
push truck driver

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 10:44:52 AM »
Forgive me for being vain, but I'll be busy today and might not check up on youse guys regularly.  You come in second 'cause today I'll be busy hanging out with an absolute frickin' legend's granddaughter.

I'm a lucky guy.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 01:38:46 PM »
WOW BEYOND AWESOME!!! Way to go SSS- can't even imagine how that would be to meet her !!  :clap :cheers:

Offline UT AT

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 03:44:16 PM »
AMAZING!!!
Tell her she has a place to stay in SLC if she needs it!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 04:37:37 PM »
Media Circus (so to speak).  I picked her and Greg, her travel companion on this trip, and we went to inspection, at the airport.  It was jam-packed and I introduced her to a few people and then left them alone and wandered around talking and telling folks to walk over there and talk to that lady.  Robyn has now seen Scott Bearisto's near twin Suzuki - guided tour from Scott - and met Keith and Tonya Turk and on and on.  I got hold of Kevin Oeste - the Bonneville Up to Speed podcast guy, who did a show on the spot with her. 

Funny story:  There's a video crew here arranging their press credentials.  The ladies that issue them had told these guys they needed to watch the movie before they came out here (good intro for newcomers).  They asked if they could interview her and got told:  No, not until you have credentials, and I'm not giving the m to you 'til you have watched that movie.  They've headed to the room to see it - - have a 4PM appt. to interview Robyn.

Yes, one of the first things I asked when we first met was "Do you really know how your grandfather is revered by these people?"  I'm pretty sure she thought she did, and I'm even more sure that she's pretty danged giddy now from the outpouring from all.

I couldn't get permission to drive her onto the race course (but I'm still going to try.  They leave sometime tomorrow morning), so we went to the tourist viewpoint and drove way the heck towards the dike directly across from the short course.  She got out and walked to. and over the berm and through a bit of mud and saltwater and stood there for quite a while.  I stayed with Greg, at the truck.  You all know exactly what that moment means to each of us.  'Nuff said, but I'm lucky to have helped her fulfill one of her important things in life.

They'll leave in the morning, although if the officials will be letting workers out there to set up - you dang betcha I'm taking her out to the salt cam so she can have her photo taken.  I'll get a screen shot so she'll have proof!

Thanks for making it possible for me to do this.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline noboD

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 06:37:58 PM »
Question!! Is someone taking care of the lemon tree for Burt?

Offline **RP**

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
I dozen or so years ago I painted some Suzuki parts for Burt's nephew Tony who lived in Texas......his family referred to him as crazy uncle Burt!
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 08:47:01 PM »
All right, the lemon tree.  I asked her, too, and she said - with a roll of her eyes - that that's the first thing almost everybody asks.

Yes, he really did pee on the tree.  And now yes, she's got salt and mud on her shoes and leggings and has walked barefoot on the salt.  She was camped in a tent up the hill from the Bend last night and has lived through a windy as heck night out there - watching the stars and meteor shower.  Land's End, the Bend in the Road, the Salt Flats cafe, inspection, the air base, etc etc.  She's made lots of memories for herself - and us, too.

Tomorrow she heads for Bike Week in Sturgis.  Her grandpa is being inducted in their Hall of Fame and she's an invited (all the way from NZ) guest.  Maybe tonight we can find a little more to do around here.  No I'm not taking her to Carmen's!!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 12:07:16 AM »
If you have a nice little lemon tree you don't like, pi$$ on it every day & see how long it takes to kill it.
  Sid.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 06:23:33 AM »
If you have a nice little lemon tree you don't like, pi$$ on it every day & see how long it takes to kill it.
  Sid.
lol8 lol8 lol8
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,