Author Topic: Trail  (Read 4924 times)

Blue Foam

Trail
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:13:42 AM »
Looking for experience here on what trail seems to work best for LSR bikes and trikes.  We have a rather long wheelbase trike and the average percentage trail would be impractical.  We can achieve 50% of front wheel diameter and only 5% of wheelbase without REALLY restricting steering lock below what we need.  Please, limit responses to those who understand the interactions and differences between vehicle and steering stability as they relate to front wheel trail as a percentage of front wheel diameter and wheelbase.

bak189

Re: Trail
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:22:19 PM »
You might get some input if you were to ask the question in English.......I speak (in addition to English) Dutch, French, Spanish, and some Italian.
But none of the above knowledge have allowed me to understand what you are asking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Having build sidecars..... I understand what trail
is....and how it relates to steering and handling.........So what are you asking??????  We are here to help any way we can...............right people!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:29:55 PM »
The answers you will get from around here are limited to the builders and operators of the World's fastest 2, 3, and 4 wheeled vehicles, National Champion Road Racers, Drag Racers, various Off Road type racers and officials.
The field also ranges from  professionals in the business to first time amateurs.
We are somewhat limited and perhaps can't help.
BAK189 for example has been running for more years that most have been anywhere and has a business building MC racing frames.
His language skills exceed most but we still see some work needed in his command of American.
Perhaps I can help if you speak Spanish.
Please limit your questions to one of the available languages.

I don't think the translation would be such a problem if it were not for the flavor of the question.

TRY AGAIN

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:45:41 PM »
Whasamtta, Jack -- No comprendy snotty?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
Whasamtta, Jack -- No comprendy snotty?
"Who knows how bad his nose was tweaked ? Da chadow do."

While I do know the answer, his question would indicate he should already know but I did give him a chance to fall back to earth anyway.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »
I learned something new today.  :-) That a guest can post. I thought you had to register to be able to do that.  :? :? :?   Is it too late to be an April fool's joke?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:34:08 PM »
 I've done a lot of technical writing, translating "Engrish" to English. Mostly Chinese English (Or what they think is English.) to American English in the form of technical manuals and instruction manuals. I have a large collection of the most unusual writing you'll ever see, and I'm getting pretty good at it, but it will take me a little while to decipher this one.
 I have a strange feeling that there may be a propeller involved here.

Smitty

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:47:18 AM »
  I'm getting pretty good at it, but it will take me a little while to decipher this one.
 I have a strange feeling that there may be a propeller involved here.

Smitty
Let me help to translate for Smitty.
The Propeller he is speaking of is a big stick that goes round and round and sucks air unless you hold it under water and then it sucks water.
And at the risk of sounding repetitive, I didn't call him "Brew Foam".
I get e-mail from him all the time and enjoy making him dance.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 10:13:52 AM »
Looking for experience here on what trail seems to work best for LSR bikes.

Keep adding rake it until you can't steer it off course in shutdown, then derake it slightly. This will give you the desired trail(which is marked by a long black line).
Todd

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 10:28:43 AM »
Looking for experience here on what trail seems to work best for LSR bikes.

Keep adding rake it until you can't steer it off course in shutdown, .............
Todd

That run will be interesting  :-o  :wink:,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 11:47:15 AM »
The last edition of the "long black line" would present quite a challange to steer to. :wink:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 09:12:26 AM »
Todd, I know I sent GSXR info, but you are a Harley rider at heart aren't you?  :-D I know this because that is a variation of the tuning advice I used to give... Lean it till it siezes, then back it off a jet  :roll:
Don't you just love this forum, it is almost as much fun as driving all night to race....  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O