Author Topic: Brett de Stoop, the New contender?  (Read 67187 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Brett de Stoop, the New contender?
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »
It is nice to hear that he is doing OK.  "OK" is a relative term...  It could have easily been worse.

Offline Rob

« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2013, 10:45:16 PM »
Brett is definitely the luckiest man alive.

When talking with him after his off he said he had trouble getting the bike into the next gear and in pushing down on the lever he inadvertently lifted his head/chest into the air stream, was wrenched upright and then had his left hand torn from the bars whilst trying to pull himself back down. The bike got a wobble up and went down. Brett stayed with the bike for round 300 metres before they parted company (eye witness reports) then got bumped around a bit including a knock to the helmet. No broken bones and only a possible concusion.

He said he could pull himself back down onto the tank at 200 but no way at 240, it just overcame his strength.

To my mind he doesn't need to buy any tickets, he won the lottery on Friday.

Glad you're aok Brett!

Rob

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2013, 12:55:12 AM »
That's great news that Brett suffered only minor injuries.
His accomplishments inspire the rest of us! :cheers:
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline lsr202

• New folks
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »
I have just read this entire post and all the comments about Brett. I have just spent the last 9 days on what seems to be the ultimate magical mystery tour with Brett. What Dr Goggles has stated in the previous posts was correct he is the most level headed person in such a zanny world of Land Speed Racing. We had highs and lows on this years 2013 Speed week on Lake Gairdner. From the 5 flat tyres on the whole trip(3300km round trip) to shopping in every town we stopped at for parts and supplies that he forgot because he was making his new expansion chamber pipes for the bike or repairing his kids mini bikes. Even at 2 am in the morning when we realise that we drove 100 km past the turn of for the lake we were still enjoying ourselves. (this lake is huge and we still missed it)
 The entertainer came out in Brett even in the ambulance when he was getting checked out. Someone handed me his Aviator styled glasses that survived the crash, i passed them to him and it was like a flash back to Happy Days......heeeeyyyyyy say Brett(Fonzareli) De Stoop
 He is lucky he felt like he was in a "pub brawl" with 3 bikies, a few bits of skin removed (more mods to the new leathers)
 Animal watched the whole incident for himself as he was watching Bretts run from the Club Animal bus, i will let Animal describe what he saw for himself in the future.
 The trip home was an entertaing one as Brett was in no condition to drive for the first 48 hours. I even told him he is in the league of Bert Munro, he got all shy and didnt want to agree with me.
 We got talking on the trip and have already laid out future improvements to his bike so watch this space and remember that Brett is as real as you and I, if you want a good laugh just say Hi and enjoy the ride as i did this year and will do for many years in the future. And if you want a bigger laugh wear your funny hat. He will love it.
Nigel
LSR202
NAC 300+ here we come

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2013, 06:04:07 AM »

Salt Fever began SpeedWeek 2013 with problems. Brett wired a water pump sensor to the tachometer. If the tacho dies and the engine is running it means the water system is faulty. The tacho died during a run and he buttoned-off to save the motor.

An inspection revealed nothing wrong with the water pump and hoses, has to be electrical. An ingenious fault tracing device appears, he calls it "Suzuki Simulator." A home handyman power drill sporting an aluminium cylinder stuck to a drill bit, a bracket attached to the drill handle holds a stator pick-up close to the marked-up aluminium cylinder. Wires trail from the pick-up and Brett gets busy plugging them into the loom. With the drill running the electrical system thinks the motor is turning over. Brett can plug and play and work out which section of cabling isn’t functioning.

Salt Fever goes out to shake some moves.

...only to return with gearbox problems. A spare box from an old bike is dragged out, a complete unknown, packed because an air shifter was fitted for this year’s SpeedWeek, another unknown and Brett wasn’t comfortable using it... so he didn’t.

Draining the box into a bucket, shiny pieces of shrapnel sparkled like diamonds in the sun. The second gear cog was in three pieces.

An all-nighter to swap-out the gearbox was fueled on caffeine and borrowed cigarettes (Brett doesn’t smoke). Like all special construction machines, replacing major components is time consuming and frustrating.

Bretty does a shake-down pass on the short GPS time track and snaps a throttle cable. Easy fix and tweak a few things, join the Spirit of Sunshine in line for Friday morning... last day of SpeedWeek 2013.

Two mile entry is announced "240MPH..." followed a second later by "RIDER DOWN... RIDER DOWN." We drop what we’re doing and wait for information, straining to see safety car dots in the hazy distance.

He’s in one piece!

Here’s the run-crash story recited in animated detail at the annual Waterbottle Tribe gathering on Saturday morning.

Into the timing sector and top gear didn’t grab properly, another attempt to stab the shifter. Uh-oh, his hand slipped on the throttle forcing an elbow into the wall of air Salt Fever was busting through, Brett’s arm flung back over his head forcing shoulder and helmet to come up and punch into the drag... the beginning of the end.

Brett’s upper body becomes a parachute and the front wheel lifted... at 240 miles an hour. With gym-workout strength - and our story now animated by: Incredible Hulk pose,  contorted face, and Hollywood roar sound effects - Brett screams and tries to pull forward against the wall of air.

At this point a dreamy cloud descends and the world slowed. "I’m f@#ked... oh there’s Heaven, let’s go for a walk." the last remembered thoughts.

Back of the Ambulance.

Ambo: "What day is it?"
Brett: "...ahh...Monday."
Ambo: "Nah Mate, it’s Friday."
The week floods back as the mind engages with a snap.

Port Pirie, Friday night.
Brett was sleeping like a baby when the Spirit of Sunshine crew arrived at Steve Finn’s place for the annual Waterbottle Tribe gathering. Steve’s place is a welcomed relief coming from a week in the red-hot desert at Lake Gairdner: pool, spa, place to crash in the shed between a collection of Suzuki bikes.

Pizza, beer, on the big screen: Steve McQueen in Bullet. SpeedWeek analysis and opinionated debate till 1:00AM. All going on loudly around sleeping Brett... didn’t even wake up for the famous car chase scene.

It’s just getting light when I wake up and peer over the wheel of a Suzuki. In one hand Brett has a half-eaten slice of pizza, in the other a can of beer. "There’s ants all over this pizza" he grumbles and moves toward the shed door with a stiff movement.

Over coffee and toast we're persuaded to unpack Salt Fever so he can put oil down the pots... in case salt made it inside the screaming two-stroke. It’s hard to stop him using the swollen paw with a salt rash on the wrist.

There’s another rash at the back of his neck and bruising around the hips. That’s an incredibly lucky escape for a 240 MPH exit of a sit-on bike, a rare accident. We’re grateful to have our mate in one piece and look forward to being annoyed by his antics at many more SpeedWeeks.

As Doctor Goggles told him "...that’s eight you’ve got left."

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:09:53 AM by PJQ »
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline bak189

« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
Glad to hear he is OK......ready to ride again......
Now there a man who could use a air and/or elec. shifter.................................
Question authority.....always

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Great story, well told, about a pretty tough bastard.
You're becoming a chapter in the history books here Brett! :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
You bike guys are f'in nuts...  :-o :-D
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »
There seems to be something inherently wrong with a design that wraps the driver around the outside of a vehicle.... :-P

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2013, 03:21:48 PM »
There seems to be something inherently wrong with a design that wraps the driver around the outside of a vehicle.... tongue

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ

Yes, and there's a can of worms debate with this one.
Infinitely more survivable if this were a caged streamline bike, vs. it's a sit on bike as god intended them to be: open and free.
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »
Lying in bed last night mulling the recent ups and downs of Speedweek in Aus, It struck me just how lucky Brett was here, I mean going down the salt at 240! I guess staying with the bike is better in this case? Scrub off some speed and hope it doesn't flip into a tumble.

The abrasions look bad, but no broken bones, truly astonishing! Who made Bretts leathers?

Brett is an inspiration to the spirit of racing on the salt, but as others have said, I guess you have to be a bit loopy too!

Get well (healed) soon Brett  :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
What kind of fancy wrappings/bandages are those? Looks like porkfat!?

Glad Brett is ok :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »
nice write Pete,people,it's all true, not a word of that is exaggerated ...

Hey Trent, its a special speck dressing.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
Any landing that you walk away from is a good landing.

Joe

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2013, 05:44:03 PM »
Thanks for the updates Nigel,
I was standing next to Brett while he was buying some food from the Tucker Truck, and had to laugh when Brett asked for "one of those streamlined pies" , which was actually a pastie,,,
Here's a video of Brett leaving the line early in the week.

http://youtu.be/WjisUqV3808

Get well soon Brett
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE