Author Topic: question  (Read 16351 times)

Robin UK

question
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 10:51:46 AM »
Of course you could always do what Radical Sportscars have done in the UK and build a V8 using busa top ends. Saw one at their factory - see link below. It's really compact and weighs the square root of bugger all. With a blower and a bit of fuel you could shove it in a 60% scale roadster and find a really small driver!!  :D  Maybe not. Wonder what it do in a bike liner though.

http://www.radicalextremesportscars.com/news_folder/v8/index.php

Robin

Offline Bob Drury

question
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 10:58:39 AM »
Keith, First of all, I want to say that I agree with your last post, I was merrily trying to clarify from the stand point of Joe Racer.  And Jack, I think what your saying kind of takes us back to the "Jon Course" idea.  I hope that the hierachy is taking a good look at it.
Bob Drury

Offline promachine

question
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »
Robin UK-interesting website, however I think honda did it about 20 years
ago with minimal success.
In my opinion, motorcycle engines don`t belong in cars, and car engines
don`t belong in bikes. That is just my thoughts and I don`t expect
everyone or anyone to agree. Just do what you can or will to go fast
and have fun. But please don`t F-up the traditional roadster class.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
question
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 12:00:41 PM »
Bob... the really great thing about our sport is that each and everyone of us define our own goals...   And since they are personal so then is the definition of success...   no matter what the cost... if you have money your goals might not be as low as mine... ( I have been lucky enough to reach the low standards I've set for myself... )

As a Mentor to many newly arrived ECTA members I stress setting goals that are reasonable and most importantly attainable...  

I'm not advocating that we limit any ones runs...   But that we limit the type of cars to what we have today...

The Board of the SCTA really impressed me by going by-annual with rule changes...   GOOD FOR THEM...  sure makes life easier on those that follow their lead.

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
question
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 12:04:32 PM »
Obviously didn't want to call the SCTA board members... BI ... just not in good form... LOL ...

Keith ( that or I can't spell for shit )
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
question
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2006, 12:12:34 PM »
Quote from: promachine
Robin UK-interesting website, however I think honda did it about 20 years
ago with minimal success.
In my opinion, motorcycle engines don`t belong in cars, and car engines
don`t belong in bikes. That is just my thoughts and I don`t expect
everyone or anyone to agree. Just do what you can or will to go fast
and have fun. But please don`t F-up the traditional roadster class.

So what is a traditional roadster John? A '29 on '32 rails? A blown fuel hemi? A hemi headed small block? Ya I guess they are ok now that we got rid of those bad bad  4 wheel drive cars. Ok I'll stop now...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

terry russell

question
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2006, 12:23:03 PM »
1st I spent 2years watching/helping others.Then I looked a classes/rules.
Then I looked at what others were doing.I decided that a truck would be different .Build a duel use mp.run 150 or so for under 5000.Wellit ran only 137 I know what it would take to run faster.goal was not met but gained friends,got educated,
2nd .Hope it draws more people to the Land speed world.
terry

Offline promachine

question
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 12:42:09 PM »
I never had a problem with four wheel drive roadsters,
as long as they had a jeep body on them :lol:
Just playing Mike, Don`t hurt me.

Offline rebelce

question
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 12:47:49 PM »
This seems to be as good a time as any for my first post, as I am collecting parts and slowly building up a Jimmy powered XO/GR.  The engine choice was a love affair/albatross foregone conclusion.  The car another story. Records, soft or not, had little to do with it.  It was more about keeping in the vintage spirit, being able to build it in a New England one car garage, tow it with my pickup and participate in great sport.  I didn't want to spend hundreds of hours fixing rust on whatever I could afford but did want the ability to make some of it my way.  The research I have done was to make sure the ideas incorporated were acceptable for the class.  It doesn't seem we really need new classes. The rules we have are constantly being refined and that's OK by me.             Armond Orr

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
question
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »
Quote from: promachine
I never had a problem with four wheel drive roadsters,
as long as they had a jeep body on them :lol:
Just playing Mike, Don`t hurt me.

That brings up a question that I've wondered about for some time John. A traditional roadster at one time had a lip around the tanneau about 1/2" that stood above the hood. This was the way it was for years, when did it go away and why was it allowed to?
Answer this and your life will be spared   :lol:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline promachine

question
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2006, 01:14:06 PM »
My lips are sealed. And so are my windsheild posts. 8)

dwarner

question
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2006, 03:15:52 PM »
Mike,

When the gas tank was allowed to be removed from the '28-'29 roadsters and that area flatten to the top of the doors the lip kinda disappeared.

I guess.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
ERRORS and OMISSIONS ?
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2006, 04:16:48 PM »
So now we have  years to bash on obvious mistakes. 8)
There has been for a long time an expression in SDRC that would have 2 rules or classes removed for every new one you propose.
That is the kind of 2 for 1 deal that will cause the author to think it through with some very good reasons and not just slide it in. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

JohnR

Re: ERRORS and OMISSIONS ?
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2006, 05:09:52 PM »
Quote from: JackD
So now we have  years to bash on obvious mistakes. 8)
There has been for a long time an expression in SDRC that would have 2 rules or classes removed for every new one you propose.
That is the kind of 2 for 1 deal that will cause the author to think it through with some very good reasons and not just slide it in. :wink:

Jack,

For once you SDRC guys got sumthin right! Is that going to be Lattins 2007 goal #14???

John

Offline tomsmith

car/bike engines
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2006, 06:41:49 PM »
Seems like I saw pictures of a "car" engine built with Norton Manx (500cc) cylinders and heads back about 1950.  I don't remember how many cylinders it had.   I wonder how long this has been going on?  Probably since Ricardo wrote his engine book.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.