Author Topic: STD 250 APS/PF for 2011  (Read 10455 times)

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
Re: STD 250 APS/PF for 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
Does the body work have an opening to air air to get into the fan ?

Yes it does, triangular opening right behind my helmet to catch the air flow coming off the back of it at speed (have you ever ridden on the back of a bike and felt the blast of the air directly behind the rider's head?). Also screen vents on both sides at the very front of the body, and a large hole in the front right behind my back that stays open till I set down and start moving.

Here's a couple of pics.

This one was during construction last year, but you can see the rectangular opening that takes up most of the front of the fairing.

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 01:09:01 AM »
Since you are in the "twittling the thumbs" mode why don't you think about putting some small scoops over the screened air inlets on the sides of your body? Might help get a little more air to cool your motor.

I do love your wooden body, I am not sure if you should ever change it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »
Since you are in the "twittling the thumbs" mode why don't you think about putting some small scoops over the screened air inlets on the sides of your body? Might help get a little more air to cool your motor.

I do love your wooden body, I am not sure if you should ever change it.

Rex

As far as adding scoops, at this point I'm almost afraid to add any more cooling effect. With the added piston clearance I'm really banking on the engine running hot to make the most power. It's an old trick from my demo-derby days, build the engine really loose, then when the radiator gets knocked out and you loose all cooling it will still run and make good power. At one derby we ran in the heads were actually glowing very dull orange and the engine was still running at the end of the heat.  :lol: Of course, that engine burned a couple of quarts of oil before it got up to normal temp, we had to warm it up in the pits and then top off the oil before the heat started, and it rattled like diamondback cold too.  :-o
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Bruin

• Just makin doo.
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 05:33:37 PM »
It's looking good. I still like the idea of a little something to cut the leading edge of the wind but I can't wait to see the credenza fly.

I rigged a manual compression release on the Big Red-one so I can start it without hurting myself more than usual. I'm getting the trailer serviced and need to have a wire-locktite party but in general we are ready-ish.
STD; Speed Team Doo
'82 Honda 500 APS-AF
'70 Triumph 250 MPS-PG
'71 Triumph 250 APS-PF
'70 Triumph 250 M-PG