Author Topic: Speedweek & world finals  (Read 9932 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Speedweek & world finals
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »
Rookie orientation and information is posted on the SCTA web site. Good to  read up on it before you get to the salt. This will help all new people understand more about the events and how they operate. Print out a copy and put in your vehicle log book.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:52:38 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Speedweek & world finals
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
I would have put a link to the Rookie stuff that Glen mentioned - but I see it's a .pdf for you to download and print.  So - go to www.scta-bni.org and look in the left column about the center of the page.  Seek the title "Bonneville Rookie Orientation Form", click on it and download the stuff.  You'll be glad you did.  Thanks, Glen.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
I would have put a link to the Rookie stuff that Glen mentioned - but I see it's a .pdf for you to download and print.  So - go to www.scta-bni.org and look in the left column about the center of the page.  Seek the title "Bonneville Rookie Orientation Form", click on it and download the stuff.  You'll be glad you did.  Thanks, Glen.

Or you could post it here:

Information provided by SCTA.

http://www.scta-bni.org/pdf/2011%20Rookie%20Orientation-Bonneville%20web.pdf   <~~~~~~Click

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »
Uh-oh -- we're in a bit of trouble here.  Maybe you can help us - and end up helping everyone.

The guy that was going to man the console for the streaming audio at SpeedWeek -- can't be there after all (medical issue in the family).  And that means I don't have anyone that'll stay dedicated to the system.  While it might not need someone full-time, there's the very big likelihood that we'll change CB channels now and then.  If the streaming system doesn't get changed all of the folks listening to this event out there in Internet-land -- will hear truck drivers and foreigners.  So - -

I would sure like to have someone volunteer to help us.  If not one person - maybe a couple of them.  We planned to have pretty much 100% of the racing covered - including record return runs (which means the system should be on the air by 7AM daily) and up 'til the end of racing each day -- which might be 7PM.  We've got everything else in order for this audio streaming - just need the human(s) that'll keep things going.  Nancy is running a couple of bikes and therefore I can't be at the console all of the time, although I'll be in attendance as much as is likely.

Got someone in mind?  One of the kids that's good with computers (mostly that means not scared of 'em), or maybe the spouse that doesn't race and will be happy to have something to do instead of being bored while you have a ball racing?

Please let me know.  If you'd like to PM me - go ahead.  Or email.  Or even post here. 

Now the bonus:  There might be some remuneration available for the operator of the whole shebang.  I dangle that carrot on a stick to help persuade an otherwise fence-sitter.

Let's hear from you soon!!  Thanks. :? :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:34:08 PM »
Jon, where is it going to be located???
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »
We had planned on simply using out pit trailer as a base of operations.  We're intending on audio from Ron/AM1610 & also from your tower.  Got an idea to nominate someone to help us?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »
I was thinking Ron Cohn or Mike Manghelli, both are radio guys. Is this a lap top unit or how is it interfaced with the CB and the other radio?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
I doubt either one of them will be able to spend any time sitting at a console. Manghelli will be doing the radios, timing slips and running three cars, Ron will be running a car and doing cb, announcer stand, etc.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
Jon --

Up the ante by throwing in shade.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline k.h.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »
Ron Cohn may be bringing some new radio gear to the timing stand.  If so, there is room to put the laptop unit at the end of the table, with a/c power and wire in the AM  broadcast from the board up there, and have someone to watch it.  CB?  I dunno.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Pete1

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
Uh-oh -- we're in a bit of trouble here.  Maybe you can help us - and end up helping everyone.

The guy that was going to man the console for the streaming audio at SpeedWeek -- can't be there after all (medical issue in the family).  And that means I don't have anyone that'll stay dedicated to the system.  While it might not need someone full-time, there's the very big likelihood that we'll change CB channels now and then.  If the streaming system doesn't get changed all of the folks listening to this event out there in Internet-land -- will hear truck drivers and foreigners.  So - -

I would sure like to have someone volunteer to help us.  If not one person - maybe a couple of them.  We planned to have pretty much 100% of the racing covered - including record return runs (which means the system should be on the air by 7AM daily) and up 'til the end of racing each day -- which might be 7PM.  We've got everything else in order for this audio streaming - just need the human(s) that'll keep things going.  Nancy is running a couple of bikes and therefore I can't be at the console all of the time, although I'll be in attendance as much as is likely.

Got someone in mind?  One of the kids that's good with computers (mostly that means not scared of 'em), or maybe the spouse that doesn't race and will be happy to have something to do instead of being bored while you have a ball racing?

Please let me know.  If you'd like to PM me - go ahead.  Or email.  Or even post here. 

Now the bonus:  There might be some remuneration available for the operator of the whole shebang.  I dangle that carrot on a stick to help persuade an otherwise fence-sitter.

Let's hear from you soon!!  Thanks. :? :?

SSS:
My wife is available intermittenly. She can run a computer and is an extra class ham radio type so she understands 2 way
and 1 way radio. We are running a car so she can't be there all the time.
We will be on the salt Friday morning.
Pete Samuelson
Car #9785

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »
  Jon, where is your pit going to be?  Front row near impound?
If you don't tell me I will have to give your money to Save the Salt (or one of those medicaly stuffed coctail waitresses outside the Nugget, or whatever this years name is).   Bob
  p.s.  What day is Salt Talks.  I might lower  my standard's and show up (wearing my best floral print dress).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:50:16 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
Jon, make sure he has all of his dis temper shots and a current tag. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »
  Glen, I heard you could save money by going to a vet specializing in cow's. 
  I feel fine but this damn ear tag is going to be a real hassle when I put my helmet on........... :-D :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
Bob -- you're right.  Usually we're in the front row near impound.  Look for the 26' black SSS trailer or page Slim on the CB radio.  As for Salt Talks -- Sunday evening, the 14nd, at the bend in the road starting about 6PM or so.  C U There.  Bring your dog tags and other identification -- for Glen's purposes, whatever they may be.  He's usually there, but late 'cause he stays on the air announcing runs down the course 'til it ends for the day.  But that just makes him more insistent on seeing ID from folks like you.

Thanks, Bob.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com