Author Topic: Sunshade on push truck?  (Read 6088 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: Sunshade on push truck?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
Lets start a pool.

On which push off will tarp/canopy be left unsecured and fly off the truck?

I vote for #3.

DW
Come on now.....  :-D   

I full well know the power of wind and awnings. One year at road atlanta our awning picked up a generator and tossed it over the transporter. Pretty big deal and could have killed someone. I was just glad I wasn't the one who made the call to tie it to the generator.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
I put up a mesh top one year and the crew said if I didn't take it down they were all quitting. It was way to hot under it to work. I put up the solid silver one and they went back to work. Still have the mesh rolled up in the trailer...SCTA still uses Mesh ones for inspection but the seem to be different. I believe there are more than one grade and they may have the ones which block out more sun.

If you ever get the get a white "Easy-up" cheap you will know why it was cheap..That only worked for a year and I bought a new blue cover.. Cook actually said black was the best...Never had one though............Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

Bob. I heard you have your head where the sun don't shine anyway. :evil:

Being a "near" genius, about ten years ago I left my canopy's up and hung 5 gallon fuel jug's, floor jack's, and even a nitrogen bottle secured to one post.
  The next morning I arrived to a "war zone" which included one inside out "easy up" which was beyond repair, a collapsed 20x10 conduit canopy which was drapped over my race car, and a fallen nitrogen bottle which while still attached to the 1" heavy wall emt (conduit wich was now bent 90 degrees) and left a reminder down the side of the car.
  Since then, I have new respect for the winds of Bonneville.
  The last big storm we had four or five years ago, I parked my truck sideway's in front of my pit to deflect a few of Slim's sliding PortaPotty's from attacking my race car.
  There were plenty of canopy's flying by at a pretty good pace.
  I would have snagged a few but was too busy trying to get my own one's down.
p.s.  Dan, if my "awning" is not removed, it may clip Jim Jenson's "rabbit ear's" off going by the starting line.  If so, He has my full permission to shoot my crew at Sundown..........    :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »
 Hey, I resemble that remark...................... :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »
Fond memories of watching the outhouse races 15 to 20 years ago.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records