Author Topic: rookie pass/record run  (Read 14170 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: rookie pass/record run
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 02:23:02 AM »
 "I will say, however, that what we do at El Mirage has carried over to Bonneville and for the past 3 years it has been stated, loudly, by me, that rookies can not qualify for a record on their rookie run."

Nathan, It sounds as if YOU are making a rule. Page 9 under qualifing, it does not mention a rookie at all.  On page 13 it only says a rookies first run will not be at full throttle or over 150 and they will have attended the Rookie Orientation Meeting and have a signed sticker. If the rookie run qualifies for a record so be it.

I can't see how you can just pass something over from El Mirage without board approval and it in the rule book. I'm fine with it if it done that way. I attended Rookie Orientation in October with my grandson as he was going to start driving and do not remember hearing that statement.

I'm not trying to be a problem here, IMO it should be in the rule book and if it is to be inforce at the 2011 Bonneville meets it should be approved by the BOD and in writing included in each competitors packet............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
Guys  Remember why --it is a EMP procedure---Threre is a ROOKIE LINE--there is no such thing at B'ville.  we are talking about records under 125 mph  othewise the person is involved in a lisc up procedure I set a record back in '01 with a lisc run of 249. + and a lisc run of 27?  on a 280 min. wasn't a hat but was a record. 

I still had my rookie sticker on my helment because at B'ville you have a Rookie MEET--at El M you can't set a record out of the Rookie LINE.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
I think there will be a rookie course at Bonneville. A 4th course is planned for this and low speed vehicles if there is salt available to have it.

Sparky and others I repeat read the Bonneville rookie orientation procedures on the SCTA web page
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
JD,

This subject is covered in the Bonneville Rookie Manual passed out at rookie meetings at the salt. I have the 2011 version and it is on-line as mentioned at the beginning of this thred. My 2010 is out in the garage, so I don't know if the subject is in there. Check the copy given to your grandson and see.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 12:39:20 PM »
"It should be in the rule book and if it is to be in force at the 2011 Bonneville meet it should be approved by the BOD . . ."

Has it?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline fastman614

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 02:36:18 AM »
Now wait a minute.... did i miss something?.... at Bonneville, in order to run on a record or minimum at under 125 mph, one ONLY had to have a drivers licence- in face of which was issued an E class licence....Correct?..... so, is it NOW A RULE that, if a class record is, say, 135 mph, a person cannot raise his licence to a D licence and qualify for the record at the same time by driving 135.001 mph?.... When did THIS happen?

A second and possibly a third issue was also brought up here..... can a licence upgrade run also be a qualifying pass?.... when has it NOT been so?.... we took the record in class up to over 250 mph and the qualifying pass was ALSO a licence upgrade pass! (A to AA)..... HAS THIS ALSO NOW CHANGED?

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
614, I didn't get that from this thread... we also have qualified on a license upgrade pass, several times.  What I get from this is your rookie pass is just that... your first pass on the salt, and you should make it as a stand alone familiarization with the course, speed control and the exit.  I believe that is the way it should be.  Rookies should not expect to be able to qualify on their familiarization pass, at any speed.... including 36 MPH  :-o
This is just about rookie run, not any others... now if you are on a license pass, you qualify, but don't do your pass correctly you may not get your license upgrade... which to me means you have another shot at getting the upgrade on your record run....
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
Now wait a minute.... did i miss something?.... at Bonneville, in order to run on a record or minimum at under 125 mph, one ONLY had to have a drivers licence- in face of which was issued an E class licence....Correct?..... so, is it NOW A RULE that, if a class record is, say, 135 mph, a person cannot raise his licence to a D licence and qualify for the record at the same time by driving 135.001 mph?.... When did THIS happen?

A second and possibly a third issue was also brought up here..... can a licence upgrade run also be a qualifying pass?.... when has it NOT been so?.... we took the record in class up to over 250 mph and the qualifying pass was ALSO a licence upgrade pass! (A to AA)..... HAS THIS ALSO NOW CHANGED?

Dave, there have been no changes.  All is well.

Quote from: Stainless1
What I get from this is your rookie pass is just that... your first pass on the salt, and you should make it as a stand alone familiarization with the course, speed control and the exit.  I believe that is the way it should be.  Rookies should not expect to be able to qualify on their familiarization pass, at any speed.... including 36 MPH 
This is just about rookie run, not any others...

Exactly.  :cheers:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Papi

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 01:04:57 AM »
After my Rookie time at El Mirage, I was actually pretty grateful for it. Kiwi, Nathan, DW, Van, Lee were all very supportive making sure I got through safe and just learning the course, procedures, turning off properly, etc.  Not having to "worry" about breaking a record was actually very comforting. I did my 125 a couple times, my 150 and then some, all from the Rookie Line.

When I went to Bonneville for the first time, same drill. They all knew I was doing my Rookie passes, even without a Rookie line.

The whole Rookie procedure is just common sense. It's very safe, fun, practical and helps you get your head wrapped around the whole venue. In fact, every new crew person that comes with us, I typically go to the Rookie event with them, just in case something new is said and to help them along.

If Rookies are more concerned about setting records on their first couple runs instead of learning our sport safely, then they should be asked to leave. Just saying. There's plenty of time for Rookies to get records, except their first few times out.

Now, it's time for my pudding cup. Enjoy your day, relax and lets go race, SAFELY please.  :cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:28 AM »
Last year at Bonneville I was the timer for the short course (course #3) and had about 125 rookies, the starter would tell me this will be a rookie pass by car #xxx or bike xxx and please watch his pass for good control, good exit speed and what was his top speed at 3 mile, and if required for that class record, did he use his parachute, if those requirements are not met then we would require them to run again!  One main problem last year was the rookies did not carry enough speed when exiting the race course, then I would have to put a hold on the race course till our patrols towed them off to the return road, I realize its a judgement case trying to figure out how much speed to carry during engine shut down and heading for the return road, so no one gets mad a rookie, its just a learning experience on their 1st run, to get thier head together for the 2nd run.  Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »
LOVE the third cousrse a B'Ville  great for lisc up--  we would have never been able to get 2 guys to a AA lisc with out it! in 09
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 12:12:30 PM »
Dave --

Are the rookies driving their chase vehicles on that specific course prior to their runs as part of their orientation?

And on another note -- it's sometimes surprising to see the variance in angles the turn-outs may have from year to year.  And the angle they meet the return road, in particular.  One year it was 90ยบ making for some surprising exits.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 12:27:31 AM »
Stan, yes each day we shut down the #3 race course for the "rookie orientation", which let them drive down the course with their push truck (with CBs) to see the layout of mile markers, condition of salt and what the turn outs looked like, it was like a parade with all those rookies, and I hate to complain, but last year the turn outs on that course were to gentle, more for high speed streamliners than for slow rookies or folks upping the licenses, we need steeper 180 degree turn outs for the rookies to get away from the race course. Hopefully this year it will improve, also I think the salt will not have pressure ridges, so you really can turn out anywhere you please and make your own 180 degree turn-out with good speed, with my Avanti I usually turn off the race course at around 80 mph and with my car weighing 4,200 lbs (750 lbs ballast) it carrys me easily to the return road and then some. Also if a rookie realizes he didn't clear the track, we don't mind him re-starting the engine and idle off to the return road, this will keep the racers and the starters happy so the next vehicle can race. Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »
Speaking of Rookie Orientation, I found this pic of the group I had last year.   :-o

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline JoeRider677

• FOIL HAT RACING - BIKES BUILT BETTER
    • Bikes Built Better
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 10:24:13 AM »
Okay getting very close. For a rookie run or two, is there a prescribed speed we are supposed to run? I do not have a sppedo so I have list of RPM in gear X for 80 and 100 MPH or just leg it out? This is my first time at SW, I've got a decent amount of passes under my belt at Maxton with the bike but knowing is good
Foil Hat Racing
Bikes Built Better
SCTA Records 2011   ECTA 2013
MPS-BG   120.507     M-BF 140.507    
MPS-BF   141.236      M-BG 146.19
M-BG      118.674      MPS-BG 165.01
M-BF      132.905       MPS-BF 170.32
LTA 2013
1 mile - MPS-BG 174.341
1.5 Mile-MPS-BG 184.09
ECTA 2014
M-BG 155.38