Author Topic: Production class rules  (Read 12726 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Production class rules
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Charles --

Just personal experience here. 

We twice had our Bonneville record taken away by two different ECTA racers of "integrity" who showed up at smaller salt meets running their vehicles in illegal configuration they had been forewarned about.

Took some doing, but after the pictures hit the internet, they both lost the records (and, perhaps, their 200 Club memberships).

That's my experience with them.  Your salt experience, when it comes, may vary.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
I agree that records do need to be verified not just taken at the racers word.  If taking off cylinder heads is too mcuh of a bother for you then I think you should not be racing.

Offline sabat

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
So I guess I should just not race at ECTA events?

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 03:06:11 PM »
So I guess I should just not race at ECTA events?

Sabat,

I presume Stan is referring to class legal configurations,,, not engine displacement,, ie body classification.

Clearly we are talking about engine inspection/verification,,, I think  the issuse Stan used in his last post was to deflect more of his disdain towards ECTA... as those issues if I recall had to do with improper classification or the likes,, NOT ENGINE SIZE.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
Charles --

That had to do with integrity.

Stan
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:58:58 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »
Ouch!!! :-o

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »
Charles --

We twice had our Bonneville record taken away by two different ECTA racers of "integrity" who showed up at smaller salt meets running their vehicles in illegal configuration they had been forewarned about.

Took some doing, but after the pictures hit the internet, they both lost the records (and, perhaps, their 200 Club memberships).

Stan

So they show up knowing there was something wrong with the vehicle . They where prewarned you say. But Somehow got to run and got to set a record. BUT then on the internet some one looked at a photo to SEE the rules violation.
That sounds like a problem with tech inspection It has nothing to do with engine size.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 07:45:46 AM »
Tech does not check for class compliance. Set a record and there will be more than enough people checking for compliance on the salt. :cheers: Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »
Charles --

Stan

And that never happened in the SCTA?

Your comments are pathetic, your denigration of the ECTA and it's competitors are disingenuous.

Your comments reflect poorly on the SCTA/BNI membership and those who claim allegiance with you.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »
Tech does not check for class compliance. Set a record and there will be more than enough people checking for compliance on the salt. :cheers: Tony

Why not? At Maxton I check the safety item first .But I also look to make sure the class is right.
But I guess at Bonneville if someone goes faster than you .Then you make sure that all the safety wire has 28 twist per inch after the run? We have a rule that covers this at Maxton.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:46:31 AM by racer x »
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »
Mike --

"And that never happened in the SCTA?"

Yes, Mike, it did happen on an SCTA record, or Bonneville record as I referred to.  It happened when run at USFRA meets where there are not as large a field of competitors as at SpeedWeek or even World Finals.  Whether they chose those meets because of this, I don't know.

Mike -- you've been around a long time and know that inspectors aren't all experts in class compliance.  And even Impound officials often check with Committee Chairmen for compliance issues.  There are a lot of classes and a lot of different entries in some given class.  There are not Altered inspectors, Blown Gas Coupe inspectors, etc.

These class compliance issues had been addressed at SpeedWeeks, yet these competitors chose not to abide with the advise they were given.  One, in fact, altered his vehicle between shut-down and Impound. 

I have not said that they represent ECTA competitors.  I don't think so.  But this is what happened.  And one later ran at an east coast event with further modifications to his vehicle that were clearly not class compliant.  My point is that counting on racers' integrity may not always give you the best results.  We're all clearly not competing for the big bucks, but it's best for all when the playing field can be leveled (and dry).

Paula's got my number -- give me a call and I'll fill in any of the blanks for you.

Stan Back

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
Stan,

Maybe I just am a bit touchy about it. I've raced El Mirage, The Salt, and the ECTA. Yes The ECTA is a looser organization, I came from the Compliance and Routine of El Mirage and Bonneville, I found Maxton quite laid back.

I think a lot of what "isn't" done the way of the SCTA is lack of personnel. They don't have the personnel base of 12 Clubs to call on, nor the 60 years of Land-speed Tribal Racing Knowledge. So things aren't done the same way, The Keith Turk mantra is "if you cheat, it's on your conscience, you have to sleep at night, look at yourself in the mirror in the morning". Some people can do that.
Not Me.
You may have your opinion of the ECTA Racer, I hope you recognize we also have people who obey the rules and have the experience and integrity to compete on a level field with SCTA Racers at Bonneville.

Peace.

Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline relaxedphit

• Organ Donor...refrigerate after opening
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 07:47:03 PM »
Only the ECTA recognizes ECTA records, so why all concern from the SCTA members? We have endeavored to rise to the standards and rules of the SCTA. The club has fostered a great deal of interest (and participation) at the Mecca of all that is Bonneville. Is integrity in such short supply as to cause all of this counter productive criticism of our way of racing? I will always value my opportunity to "run what I brung" and the chance to help and become a part of one of the most friendly group of mutually supportive people I will have ever met. How does this help LSR?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 10:05:58 PM »
I love "Run What You Brung Racing".  But to run that way and then call it in X/XX class is not the same thing.  SCTA has a "Run What You Brung" class -- it's called Time Only. 

I understand the limits in a smaller organization.  I appreciate what the ECTA has done and is doing and hope they find a new home(s).

But we have raced SCTA for the past 10 years or so in a class that attracts 10 to 15 entries in just the one engine class.  And have spent 10s of thousands of $$$ to stay competitive -- just for the prize money (right!).  So when someone without integrity takes a record away -- wherever they're from -- they get scrutiny.

We pitted, in the last couple of years, next to one of the entrants I've written about here lately.  They were well-rested and clean-shaven.  Apparently they could sleep at night and look at theirself in the mirror.

I'm proud that I helped (I sincerely believe) the current record holder in our class put 15 miles an hour on our old record.  Their car is straight-up class compliant.  My only problem with it is that it has boucoo(sp?) more horsepower than we have.

Stan

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
Stan, this is just for you -

beau·coup (b k , b -, b -k ) also boo·coo or boo·koo (b -) Chiefly Southern U.S.. adj. Many; much: beaucoup money. n. pl. beau·coups

You're welcome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com