Author Topic: Different sanctioning bodies rules comparisons and questions.  (Read 6194 times)

Offline JJ

• New folks
Sorry for the newb question but how does the rulebooks for the SCTA, the ECTA, and Texas Mile compare? I did a search and did not come up with a conclusive answer. If I were to start new construction which sanctioning body would I want to go with to make sure that I am compliant? I would like to build something for Maxton that would be legal to take to Bonneville of Texas if the opportunity ever presented itself. Thanks for the help!

Offline sabat

Re: Different sanctioning bodies rules comparisons and questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »
ECTA is based heavily on the SCTA rules, but there are some differences. Texas is its own thing. But if you are legal for ECTA/SCTA, you are legal for Texas.

Best thing is to get a rulebook from both ECTA and SCTA, and check repeatedly. They are cheap, and much better than a magazine while in the home reading room.

Offline JJ

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
Sounds like a plan. I am ready to move on from drag racing and do something I have wanted to do for a long time. Thanks for the input!

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »
I am doing the same thing . That is building a car that will be legal for any of these venues.  and best advice obtain all rule books and commit them to memory. Welcome aboard and BTW where are you located.

Offline JJ

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »
I am doing the same thing . That is building a car that will be legal for any of these venues.  and best advice obtain all rule books and commit them to memory. Welcome aboard and BTW where are you located.

Middle Ga area.

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:36:01 AM »
No need to commit rulebooks to memory. Just be aware of where you are racing on a given weekend and be compliant with that organization.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
This approach is working well for me. In general the SCTA rules are most stringent (not a complaint just a fact) so I have followed these rules on permanent structures i.e. roll cage.  This means only having to build these once.  Also what type of car are you building.

Offline JJ

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »
Doing some research but I like the old Model A's.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:55 PM »
Probably the most important thing is NOTto have a drag guy build anything for you unless you are willing to do it again. Trust me on this. You can hand them a SCTA/BNI book and where they set it down is where it will stay..........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »
I have a drag guy building mine and I spend a lot of time at the shop most drag guys dont understand the reasoning behind why a lot of lsr stuff is overbuilt in thier eyes.  Definitly get the new SCTA  rule book the drawings on roll structures are much better than in the past.

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »
You are welcome sir.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JJ

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 01:13:38 AM »
I am actually a drag guy that wants to go in a newer direction. I understand what you are saying as a lot of drag racers are hard headed and dont think they need some rulebook. I have done major work (i.e. roll cages, fuel systems, etc) for people that use their vehicles for several sanctioning bodies/types of racing such as SCCA, Drift, NHRA and know just how important it is to see what will work with the rule book so there are no surprises at the tech booth at the track. Everyones replies in this thread have been great. I would like to build it once and build it right and be able to go to Maxton or Bonneville with no issues. I really appreciate everyones input. I would love to see some Model A Roadster pictures that are legal.

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 01:27:52 AM »
If you go to the FOR SALE part of this forum there is a very nice model A for sale with some good pictures,

Offline JJ

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 01:29:01 AM »
Will do. Thanks. Havent had a lot of time to browse around yet.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 07:24:06 AM »
  JJ
    Save yourself some grief before you start building, come to the Salt and look at some of the cars that run there and go visit tech, and Dan in Impound. You can't buy that kind of learning. For what it's worth.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]