Author Topic: Body shape for low HP stream liner  (Read 5570 times)

Offline earthquake

• New folks
Body shape for low HP stream liner
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
New guy here
I am working on a twin engine VW 36HP powered stream liner, it should have about 160 actual HP when the motors are done. I want to build a simple body but I want it to be as aerodynamic as possible, I was thinking about a modified bowling pin shape, [tapered rear] Will the wasp waist affect flow? or would I be better off with straight sides? I would like to keep it as narrow as possible [about 36" front] but the rear drive might wind up being wider then the front. I'm building this to SCTA GS/H [it will only have one motor at first] Specs and later to GS/F [with two motors] but I'm looking for the worlds record with 36HP based motors, maybe later with some big block VW type 1 motors. thanks for any help.

Casey
I would really like to go fast with a 36hp Volkswagen

Offline RichFox

Re: Body shape for low HP stream liner
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
Like this?

Offline The wonderful One

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
36" is just way to big. I would suggest that you contact Jerry Oxford at  joxford@charter.net  He understand frontal area, center of balance and center of pusher way better than most. He is a good guy and will share information with you that will put you on a good path. The Wonderful One 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »
Obviously the 36 inch width dimension is based upon the width of your VW motor which probably also will require some pretty good thinking regarding the path of the cooling air across the engine cylinders. Are you thinking about running the stock cooling fan?  or a cooling fan at all.  Some interesting things could be done with this air flow which could possibly assist your car to be faster. Long, narrow flat bottom cars are the present domininate thinking in the streamliner class doing this with a flat VW engine would make an interesting car.

Keep us informed on your thinking.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 02:00:28 AM »
I'm no expert, just someone that read and tried to understand the book. HPBooks "Aerodynamics for Racing and Performance Cars" says a teardrop shape with a length between 2-1/2 and 4 diameters has the lowest possible drag coefficient.

Therefore I would think in Streamliner class where you have approximately unlimited options of engine and driver placement and wheel arrangement, you would put the wide engine and drive wheels up front, then the driver, then the rear wheels in line for a narrow rear. Cars in 300-400+ range look like fighter jets for a reason, but you're not in that range.

With the flat engine in a round shape, I'm guessing there would be space for a legal window and line of sight above the engine so you wouldn't have to add a bubble for the driver.

I've always wondered if having the drive wheels up front pulling would eliminate the problem of having the pushing rear wheels trying to pass the front as air resistance goes up.

What kind of idiot uses a low displacement vintage VW engine for speed? Idiots like you and me. Power to you.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 05:00:33 AM »
Not the most aerodynamic, ok it looks like a brick, but if I was saddled with those dimensions I would look at building a four wheel drive car like Joe Huffaker's twin engine Porsche 906 Indy car.  You could play around with the nose and some fairings to get some sort of aero.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:00:34 PM »
Tony, Huffaker's car reminded me of the Junior Fueler I proposed to one of the magazines back in the day.

Stack two Porsches on top of one another with one firing backward, starter rings geared together then on to the clutch and driveshaft .  Just like the great Kent Fuller did with Ivo's twin Buicks only pancaked.

They woulda been under the then 310 CI limit and certainly had an awesum exhaust note.

Nobody took up the idea.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »
IB, Huffakar never could get the bugs worked out of the car at the Speedway, and when he came back he sold the car to Cecil Yother who raced it at Fremont, and parted out the car shortly after that in frustration. The parts are still around the Bay Area and I occasionally  see some of it now and then pop at the swap meets. Would of have loved to seen your Junior Fueler . Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Oldanontheway

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:40:17 PM »
Great avatar. Red just might be my favorite color!

old...
Political correctness is a spineless character flaw that emboldens the enemies of freedom, tolerance and peace.

This ain't your mothers cookie cutter motor sport like NASCAR or NHRA.. +10