Author Topic: Off Road from the Salt to the Bend?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline gas pumper

Off Road from the Salt to the Bend?
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
First time to the Salt was 2009, and I missed last year. This year I'm going.

Last time I stayed at the Bend in a tent and walked back and forth to the truck stop at night and sometimes got picked up by other racers, so that wasn't a problem. Getting to the salt in the AM worked out OK by hitch-hiking. Getting back out at  end of racing worked OK by the team dropping me off on their way to their hotel.

This year we are going to have a little room in the trailer and the car owner asked me if I would want to bring an ATV. To have a motorized extra vehicle for the pits. We are all getting older and bicycle pedaling is getting old. 

Me being independent and a little anti-social, the question is can I travel from the end of the road to the bend in the road off road?
I think it might be possible, but don't know for sure. I'm sure I can get from the bend to the truckstop off road with the 4 wheeler. But I am unsure of the bend to the end of the road. Or would traveling the shoulder be OK with an un registered vehicle?

Thanks, Frank

Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Off Road from the Salt to the Bend?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »
It's pretty common for folks to ride 4-wheelers (and other vehicles, too) to and from the salt -- from the Bend in the Road, from the truckstop, from dang near everyplace they start from.  It's required to stop at Land's End, though, to let security see that you're wearing a button/pin showing that you've paid for admission.  See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:39 PM »
Thanks SSS.
I did see a lot of riders out in the muck alongside the road, I just wasn't sure it was passable all the way. I did fiqure on going thru the gate.
Crew for 608 AA/GL.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:08 PM »
In the mornings of the first weekend I have seen the Highway Patrol issuing tickets to those who are riding parallel to the road on their ATVs.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
When I was a kid there would always be local tearaways riding sidesaddle or standing on one peg riding along road reserves up our way, they figured the cops couldn't get a conviction if they didn't have a leg either side of the bike.....

Dunno if it worked , dunno if you can get away with it on a quaddie, dunno if you want to. fortunately we are a long way beyond the usual patrols of the wallopers at Lake Gairdner( except the one who is in the club) but despite that the club are very strict on the no rego/no entry?...no go rule.Everything that's ridden or driven on the lake has to be legit.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:55:22 PM »
In the mornings of the first weekend I have seen the Highway Patrol issuing tickets to those who are riding parallel to the road on their ATVs.

DW

Thanks for this DW.
I looked at UTAH off road regulations. It looks like the potash flats along the south side of the last section of road to the end of the road belong to the State of UT and not BLM. UT requires a vehicle registration for out of staters, a non-resident permit, to ride on the state lands. I applied on line and got a registration for the quad.

So making a donation to the state treasury might be the answer.

Thanks, Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.