Author Topic: Bruce Nottingham  (Read 4363 times)

Offline 836dstr

Bruce Nottingham
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
This is one area of this website that I do not like to post!

Bruce Nottingham died yesterday at his home in Iowa. Not many in the LSR circle would have probably known Bruce. I met him in '68 when he moved into our neighborhood in San Diego.

Bruce's claim to Bonneville fame was somewhat indirect.  Car Craft magazine had a contest for mechanics. The best 9 were chosen to form 3 teams that prepped and maintained 3 AMC Javelins driven at Bonneville by Craig Breedlove. The team with the fastest car got to keep the 3 Javelins. Bruce's Team was second.

About this time American Motors came out with the '69 NHRA SS/C AMX's. An acquaintance of Bruce bought one of the 50 or 55 cars. Bruce eventually bought the car and ran it under the name "Sheriff of Nottinghan". I crewed for him and we ran at Carlsbad, OCIR, Lions, Beeline and a couple other spots around SoCal.

When we ran @ Lions we would stay at Breedlove's shop in Torrance. Those were the days!

Bruce was a great mechanic, driver and friend. We had plans to meet at Boneville awhile back but never connected. His 2 sons and talking about spreading his ashes at the former locations of OCIR and San Diego Raceway (Ramona). If they let me I might mix some with the SALT.

R.I.P. Bruce. Keep those front wheels hanging in the air!

Tom

Offline Freud

Re: Bruce Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:20:44 PM »
Tom, I remember when Craig showed up on the salt with an AMC on a truck with an inclined ramp.

I think he ran on private time after Speedweek.

FREUD
Since '63