Author Topic: Spoiler flap  (Read 8976 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Spoiler flap
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »
  Here is my attempt to keep my ass on the salt............
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Spoiler flap
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »
Wow Bob, must have found some young kids to post pictures for you?   :-P

Nice job     :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:08:08 PM »
  Dyno, I tricked Mr. Hotnut's into visiting.................
Bob Drury

Offline geh458

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
Well, that looks like it will dump most of the air pressure should you find yourself going backward, but, lets not test it ok?

Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 06:53:12 PM »
While talking Bob through the photo resizing process I secretly snapped this shot of me giving thumbs up behind Bob.
LOL

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
  Now if that doesn't look like your neighborhood preevert, I don't know what does..........  Bob
  Hey, I didn't realize I had a grey pony tail............   :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
Bob, nice job,,, 

What holds tension on the flap when going frontwards ?  Just air pressure ?  Why the two inner spill plates (verticle uprights) ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »
  Well Charles, being the mechanical genius that I am, I mounted the tether strap's (hard to see but thay anchor at the base of the two red spoiler support's).
  When I got done, I tried the flap and it wouldn't close because the tether hardware hung up on the opening surround.
  Being a well organized genius, I started looking for a fix and found it on my screen door.
  If you look real hard you will notice the tethers are held together by the screen door spring.
  Dodge, I gotta go close the screen door again......... the wind just caught it........ :-D :-D        
                                        Sign me: the smartest guy Hotnut's has ever met.................
  The two inner spill plates are because Dan said I could have them and it isn't often that he offer's any leeway or freebies, so I said "hot damn" I gotta go for it. (translation: I don't have a clue, but hopefully they add to stability if the air stream catch's them).            Bob
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 10:41:55 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:37:32 PM »
Not trying to be a smarta__ at all but if it were mine I would put an air vent (or vents) from over the real axle to the spot behind the back window about 2" wide and 30 to 36" long relieving the lifting from behind the rear window and take all that "junk" off the trunk. Neil Thompson went right at 300 MPH with nothing but an air vent and the tail lights removed from his 53 Studbaker 40 years ago. All that stuff is drag......................

Check out Bruce Giesler's Studie for the samething. They work and were mandatory for Studies over 175 at one time.

Good Luck......................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »
Not trying to be a smarta__ at all but if it were mine I would put an air vent (or vents) from over the real axle to the spot behind the back window about 2" wide and 30 to 36" long relieving the lifting from behind the rear window and take all that "junk" off the trunk. Neil Thompson went right at 300 MPH with nothing but an air vent and the tail lights removed from his 53 Studbaker 40 years ago. All that stuff is drag......................

Check out Bruce Giesler's Studie for the samething. They work and were mandatory for Studies over 175 at one time.

Good Luck......................JD

I was told those air releif vents where for classic Coupe,,, not classic altered coupe...

But that did not make sense....not sure the wind tunnel would agree with the rear spolier being drag ....
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:04:55 AM »
CK Talk that over to Dan.....

FIRST: MY BAD THEY ARE AIR "DUCTS"

For some reason I cannot find mention of them in the Classic, Modified Catagory, Altered or Gas Coupe Rule from page 63 thru 70.
But on the first paragraph of 4.CC it sounds a like they are prohibited for directing air and that where they must be getting the prohibition of them. IMO It says "within the car" but not "threw" the car.

Like I said they were mandatory for Studies years ago because all, I mean ALL, of the spun between 175 and 185. All this "Junk" was added because of other cars to hold them on the ground.

To bad if they are not allowed. Geisler's Hanky Panky and the Terry Hunt's old Guam Bomb are probably illegal now....Too Bad
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
  J.D., while I respect your opinion, I totaly disagree.
  First of all, we now run our car's lower with front air dams, resulting in less air under the car.
  Secondly the air at the base of the rear window is a low pressure area and any air exiting from behind the rear window is if anything, going to allow less downforce on the rear of the car as the air over the top flows downward's.
  Terry Hunt's vents were for the radiator mounted under them.
  I would suggest that the major problem with the Stude's of thirty to forty years ago were caused by most guy's putting ballast in the trunk, creating a pendulum, and the high attitude and center of gravity ( partially caused by the tall tires with stock rear suspension's/ala leaf spring's).
  I have never been able to find a picture of Neal Thompson's Studebaker.  Bruce Geisler said in the end it ran a Corvette front end.  Was the body unaltered (chopped or skirted) when it ran those speed's?    
  Just curious.
  p.s. I have another trick up my sleeve at the rear of the car keeping the rear planted, it's legal,  it aint weight, and to anyone who has seen my car it is pretty obvious and it's not the spoiler............. but  spoilers do work.
                                                                        Bob
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:26:30 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Bob
re read your #2  if it is low it lifts---the duct was trying to kill the lift area sucking the rear wheels of the ground
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
Sparky "you got it." The area behind the rear window on a car that has a defining line causes lift. There is no question about it. I don't care how low it is. It's the air going over the top causing the the problem and the air coming thru the ducts that break it up. I guarantee I felt it in mt 1940 Chevrolet 20 years ago. At 149 for 3 miles nothing moved. At over 150 you could feel the car rear coming up, right in your seat. We went 153 and that was it. No More. If I would have put in an air duct I'm positive it would not have lifted. A 1940 Ford would probably not have the problem until a higher speed because of it's slopping roof line. If you ever drive a car with the "lift" you will know it.

I'm not saying to not use spoilers especially in a car with no defining line. The guys in the past figured it out and the same would work today....Good Luck

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »
  Sparky, I guess the question would be is the lift from that low pressure more than the high pressure created when the air over the top hits the spoiler?  Does that air cause a turbulence or keep the high pressure from dropping down before clearing the deck lid?
  It's a shame that after all these years (58) no one has had the resources to put one of these car's in a wind tunnel.
  When I  was reseaching for my car at Speedweek in 96,97 and 98, I talked to every Studebaker driver on the Salt.  This included Studebaker Joe, Beard and Glade, Turner and Whitley, Homer Hinchcliff, and my friend Bruce Geisler amongst others.  Most ran air duct's.
  I asked each about certain features such as straight axles and the air duct's exiting the trunk.
  The concensus I gleaned was that many thought straight axles were the only way to fly, but not one of them could offer anything for reasoning other than "that's the way we have always run it".
  Granted, the stock Stude front suspension might not be the best, but Geisler's car has run a stock one since the 60's.
  The same thing applies to when I asked about the air duct's.  Not one of them could tell me if they had any proof  of them working.  It was more of a "monkey see monkey do" thing.
  As I stated in my previous post, the Stude's that ran  in the seventies and eighties may have benifited more than today's versions in that we can run a spoiler, but once again we have no proof of the advantage of the ducts whereas the spoilers are a proven design on virtually all full bodied cars.                        Bob
Bob Drury