Author Topic: John H. Horsman  (Read 4045 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
John H. Horsman
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »
I doubt that most land speed racers will be familiar with the name "John Horsman" but those in the UK and those who followed the "Golden Age' of sports car racing will be. John worked for Aston-Martin after graduating from Cambridge and eventually went to Ford Advanced Vehicles to be on the development team for the GT40. This operation became JW/Gulf Racing and they won Le Mans twice with their GT40s. Porsche turned over their sports car racing effort to JW/Gulf Racing and the blue & orange Porsche 917 became the dominant force after its evil handling problems were solved. During a pratice session at Zeltweg, John noticed that the pattern of smashed gnats on the bodywork showed the airflow pattern and there were no Gnats on the top of the tail of the 917-- the air was simply not flowing over the tail as it had been assumed that it would. A sheet of aluminum and a few pop rivets turned the Porsche 917K into "a proper racing car."

John retired to Tucson, where he lives now with his wife, Janet. He has written an excellent book about his days with legendary racing teams-- "Racing in the Rain".
In the past few years, John suffered two heart attacks-- one quite severe and another less so. In both cases he was injected with iodine to see his blood flow but the iodine destroyed 80% of his kidney function. He has been on a transplant waiting list for some time and last week one became available. A skilled transplant team here in Tucson operated on him and he now has a functioning kidney. This week John was released from the hospital and is now at home, although on medication to suppress his immune systen to minimize the cance of rejection.

I wish him the very best-- John Horsman is a fine engineer, an outstanding team manager, and he is a proper English gentleman.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: John H. Horsman
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
Wow, wishing him the best..

Offline joea

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »
Neil...thanks much for sharing abit about John here...!!!!

prayers for him and his family...

Joe :)

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
Thanks for the update Neil. I recall John's name from the glory days of sports car racing.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »
Neil, Thanks for informing us.  Without John's help there would be no way I could of restored my GR6, you have described him perfectly "he is a proper English gentleman".  My prayers and wish for a speedy recovery are with him and his family.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »
Just a follow-up report on John-- he is home and doing very well although his medication makes him a bit shaky for a while. John is able to drive and is able to meet with the "Car Guyz" for lunch fairly regularly now. Thanks, everyone, for your prayers.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ