Author Topic: Bending Square Tubing with a press?  (Read 8227 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Bending Square Tubing with a press?
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »
I have a project where I want to bend 2" square 16 gauge mild steel tubing at a 45 degree angle. I know I can buy a $1000 tube bender and dies to do it (or farm it out), but I am on a budget. I have a 20 ton press though. Is there a die I can build or buy to do this? Anyone have ideas? If it gets slightly wrinkled that's OK.
I could also "V" notch and weld, but I would rather bend it if possible.
Thanks
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Bending Square Tubing with a press?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »
  Don, buy a chunk of 10 ga. cold roll from your nearest sheet metal shop.
  Next draw the inner radius you want and the using tramel points or a compass or a pencil on a string. Trace the outer radius two inches bigger. You can cut them out with a jig saw if that's all you have. Measure the outer radius for length with a 1/4 inch tape measure and cut the outer (heel) piece and using the same method do the inner radius.  Weld em up and grind em down..........  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline John Burk

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:14:16 AM »
Saw the tube in half along the side walls and weld after bending .

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:29:22 PM »
I have a die for 1 square...anything larger, I call Art Morrison. They are very reasonable and will do whatever you want...and they are very smooth on the sides in 2 or 2 by3, 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 inch.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:25:58 PM »
Hey Don, this site might be of interest to you. Its about tube bending and companies that sell equipment for home use. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28830  I hope this site might help you out. Best of luck
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
I have a die for 1 square...anything larger, I call Art Morrison. They are very reasonable and will do whatever you want...and they are very smooth on the sides in 2 or 2 by3, 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 inch.

Kind of late response, but I second the Art Morrison recommendation.  I used them for the rounded corners of the flatbed on my COE truck.  2x4 tubing mandrel bent the easy way.  Perfect 90 degrees on each bend, and maintained the nice rounded corners on the rectangular tubing.  I actually had two big U bends made, one for each end of the flatbed.  I believe they sell stock bends with around 24 inch leg lengths.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com