Author Topic: Interpretation please.  (Read 7522 times)

Offline butch nassau

Interpretation please.
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »
I'm well into building a rear engine four cylinder Honda ( car engine, 1800cc ) powered lakester.

The intake manifold hangs off the left side of the engine past the inner vertical plane of the rear wheels.

I read the rule that said no "streamlining  of the body or axle can intrude past the inner vertical  line of the tires.

I sincerely hope that the intake manifold will not bee seen as "streamlining.

Whadayathink? 

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Interpretation please.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:09:58 PM »
On a lakester anything that might divert air from fully impacting your tires is considered streamlining.... I don't think you will find a lakester with any part of it outside the inside plane...  :-o
Better find ya some wheel spacers....  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:50 PM »
Tilting the engine or reworking the intake system should solve the problem.

Pete

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »
On a lakester anything that might divert air from fully impacting your tires is considered streamlining.... I don't think you will find a lakester with any part of it outside the inside plane...  :-o
Better find ya some wheel spacers....  :|

What about all them big engines that the rocker cover stick out that far? I've not seen anyone penalized for "engine parts" hanging in the breeze.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »
Dynos got it. If need be, you cut a hole in the panelling and leave the engine parts outside. There have been a lot of lakesters with mags or valve covers out in the breeze................Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:07:20 AM »
Butch, I'm curious as to why you have built such a narrow track car . I'll get flack for this but there isn't much of a reason to have the wheels up close to the body.

Open wheels are very dirty aero wise and MY OPINION is that if they are a little further away from the body you will lower the total drag.

My second reason to ask is that I have always felt that unless you are building a streamliner where you want the track to be narrow the safety aspect is a big reason to give yourself a wider track.......get it sideways at speed and a bit of width will decrease the risk of you rolling......

.02 please. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:17:19 AM »
OK, engine parts stick out, but I can't think of one that goes beyond the plane....  :? anyone have a picture?  I am having trouble even thinking of one that the exhaust pipes go outside the plane.    Dig in there guys, show us the record holders that stick out past the plane of the narrowest wheels.  Our protruding scoop was brought up in inspection, but they could have waited until impound...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
i think i see engine parts

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
If I may quote 4.CC, paragraph 2, sentence 1:

"Removal of certain devices may also be considered streamlining; axle and header configuration will not."

So headers are off the table. I think an argument that an intake manifold is not a body part can be made.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline butch nassau

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
Well it all started out logically enough.

I used a vw trans axle mounted to a north-south Honda 1800 cc engine.

Then, I sawed off the rear torsion bar mounting plates and the long brackets that came back from the rear torsion arms. Cutting the brackets down allowed me to completely eliminate the half axles and to just run the inner and outer cv joints connected on each side by by a 6 inch stub shaft made from shortened axles.

I'll have to get some pictures up.

Anyway I seem to have outsmarted myself...I now have a car with a 38" rear tread.

The Honda engine that sat east-west in the Acura donor car had a rather large and complicated intake manifold that took up all the room between the engine and the firewall.

Now, that manifold hangs out over the left rear tire by a good (bad?) three inches.

The more I explain this this more confusing it is.

Anyhow...there is no no easy way to widen the rear track--you'll see when I upload the pics tomorrow.

Thanks 

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
  Butch,
  We tried to use the Salt Cat 1 intake on the new Salt Cat ll car and we ran into this same dilemma. We had to turn things around and as a result, had to build a new system. On top. the sky was the limit. We have a very narrow rear treadwidth also and now not even the exhaust is outside the rear plane.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline butch nassau

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »
 I'd like to post a picture or two but I'm lost.

I'm 1,263 keystrokes into Kodak Easyshare and I simply cannot get a picture to "post".

Can anyone help?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Doug --

Does the valve cover "roll" out from under the intake?  I remember the windshield two(?)-piecer.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records