Author Topic: lakester build  (Read 10933 times)

Offline geh458

Re: cheap & easy lakester build
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
There is "NO" CHEAP & EASY build for a race car.  I've got my planned project already over $50K, and it's still on paper and in my head, I haven't bought a single piece of tubing yet to start the cage, and I'm still looking for the right car for the project.
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 04:31:46 PM »
There is "NO" CHEAP & EASY build for a race car.  I've got my planned project already over $50K, and it's still on paper and in my head, I haven't bought a single piece of tubing yet to start the cage, and I'm still looking for the right car for the project.

Just priced DOM tubing yesterday and its $4.75 per foot.  I remember we use to buy that stuff for about $2 per foot not to long ago. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:58:48 PM »
I know he's busy flogging away now, but you might ask 38flattie how to set and maintain a budget.  (It's too late for him to go back and modify his initial quote.)

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »
Man "cheap" is a word that if fast leaving any kind of racing, I just bought 2 sheets, 4'x10', of .063 3003 aluminum and they were just short of $200 each! Sure glad I work cheap!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
I know he's busy flogging away now, but you might ask 38flattie how to set and maintain a budget.  (It's too late for him to go back and modify his initial quote.)

Stan Back

Haha! That's a 'cheap' shot Stan! :cheers:

Yea, I don't know about "cheap, or 'budgets"!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 08:22:24 PM »
Well, I must have missed the pic - I don't see it, but I suspect Mr. Palesen will figure it out.

Welcome aboard - trust me when I say I could use an economics lesson on race car building.  If it is a Mopar you're working on, fast and cheap will indeed be a unique combination.

Stan Back

Unfortunately, Flattie used my guidelines - if there's still food or beer in the fridge, you're under budget.
Yeah, Bruce, we're going to rib you, but we'll also be the first to tell you "congratulations" when you prove us wrong.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
Reading Cheap's intro I think you will find that Chaep and Easy are nicknames for Bruce and his co-conspirator. I am sure they realize that 'cheap and easy' are not in the LSR vocabulary.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline possum

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 10:05:18 PM »
Are trying to define cheap in a race car?  My wife and I  seem to have different opinions.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 10:41:15 PM »
There is no such thing as a cheap race car.  In the pursuit of speed we all spend more than we can afford, and some have paid the ultimate price.  Tony

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »
It is possible to race on a budget.  The trick is to go fast.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
There is no such thing as a cheap race car.  In the pursuit of speed we all spend more than we can afford, and some have paid the ultimate price.  Tony

I agree with Tony.... my real job is Financial Planning/Investments/Insurance/Retirement Plans   with 26 years experience you would think I could make and keep to a race build budget,,,, WRONG,,, logic goes out the window when the emotion and the need for speed take over...Life is short,,, Just Build it ....

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 12:33:28 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 01:45:07 AM »
The two threads on this lakester build should be merged together. Moderators? Tony

Offline dw230

Re: lakester build
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
I guess the 'need for speed' means different things to some folks. 168 MPH is not speeding to me.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: lakester build
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
I guess the 'need for speed' means different things to some folks. 168 MPH is not speeding to me.

DW

Sounds like   Seems to me that it was the propster back in 2008 whining about all of the "slow" records set at Speedweek.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!