Author Topic: Fuel cells, and battery mounts  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Fuel cells, and battery mounts
« on: June 12, 2011, 01:56:42 AM »
So the idea came to me today, while I was looking at the dented tank onone of my donor bikes, to do away with the fuel tank on my motorcycle altogether.

Heres my thinking;

I am getting a Lithium battery that can fit under the back cowling, where the tool kit rests. Freeing up a space where the regular battery is. In addition to that space, I will be removing the air boxes, which resides infront of the battery.  This will give me an area (approx)7"x8"x 8".  And I thought it would be a good spot for a fuel cell. It would also allow me to get real low...., as well as being lighter.  2-3 liters is enough for me to make 2-3 runs I figure.

Having looked at what I can find with google, there is next to nothing in the parameters listed above.
Can I have my local welding guru fab one up for me?  Or are there certification (documentation) issues.  I figure so long its not dripping/leaking/pressure tested, all should be good right?

Secondly,

I know that the rules  state that the battery MUST be secured with a steel strap.  Would Stainless steel cable ties be considered a strap?   

Cheers
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Fuel cells, and battery mounts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
gas tanks can be constructed and used for racing... I have made several for the bike to aid rider position.  Any welder can build a leak free one from stainless or aluminum.  Be sure you have enough.

My opinion, No stainless tie wraps do not meet the requirement, you need to secure your battery.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:14:41 AM »
Fuel cell?  With H2 for fuel?  Unh, ask Ohio State and Rick Byrnes and others that have run high-pressure flammable/explosive gaseous fuel - about the extra issues you'll encounter because of that high pressure fuel tank.  Great idea, and certainly worth exploring - but it'll probably take some (lots?) extra effort to get it approved and running.  Go for it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
Uh,Slim I beleive Vish is refering the fuel cells (tanks) that the race cars use. Plastic w/foam in them.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Vishnuatepork

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
 Be sure you have enough.

Do you mean enough gas?  where would I start sourcing all the alu hardware?

I am planning on running at Mojave, so its a short run, not a long course event for me.  

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:25:33 PM by Vishnuatepork »
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
Oh.  Sorry for the mis-guided guess.  Now that I see the "other" meaning of fuel cell -- oh, yeah, I remember now. . . :|
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:33 AM »
That's Slim, Thinking waaaaayyyyy out side the box or cell as it were. :-D. Vish, 1/8th to 1/4" aluminum plate should serfice to start with. check speedway motors for weld in bungs for the "fuel" gas cap. be sure to vent the tank with a roll over check valve for safety. just some places to start.hope it helps.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:08 AM »
I know that the rules  state that the battery MUST be secured with a steel strap.  Would Stainless steel cable ties be considered a strap?   

Cheers
Alan

Alan

Not metal cable ties and not hose clamps

G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline JimL

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
Don't know for sure why, but my fabricated, flat panel, aluminum tank cracked in a few places (last year).  I was told to rubber mount it (done, done, & did).  I found that the little A/C line mounts (used on the hard lines from the condensor on many Japanese cars) work really well.  They have a 6mm stud on each end, like a miniature motor mount.  Get 'em at the Pick-A-Part....use nylock nuts just fine.

Regards, JimL