Author Topic: Is Rosco the fastest Australian??  (Read 7071 times)

Offline normh

• New folks
Is Rosco the fastest Australian??
« on: June 09, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »
Can anyone clarify this? I was checking rosco's Australian record of 500mph and found that the records from CAMS show that he only reached 498.05mph and the record was not set under the FIA rules?? I also noticed one run was at 4.49 and the return 7.23  :roll:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Is Rosco the fastest Australian??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
Can anyone clarify this? I was checking rosco's Australian record of 500mph and found that the records from CAMS show that he only reached 498.05mph and the record was not set under the FIA rules?? I also noticed one run was at 4.49 and the return 7.23  :roll:

Do you know of one faster?

Offline normh

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »

Do you know of one faster?

That is irrelevant John, can anyone clarify this was the question? I understood this to be a discussion board and I apologise for my ignorance.
Rosco claims to have run 643mph in aussie 111 so to answer your comment yes I do know of a faster one!

My post is a genuine question to ascertain what speed would be required to obtain an Australian land speed record as it seems Rosco although timed at that speed made claims which could be seen as false according to FIA rules e.g., The Budweiser Rocket car and the issues surrounding their claim.

There is a New Zealand team, their name escapes me, going for the single jet engine world record and out of curiosity, if they did their attempt in Australia, then what speed would they need to peak for the Australian official record?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:07:24 PM by normh »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
post deleted.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:20:19 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:59 PM »
Both times were the same run, not a return run.  the kilo was 4.49 the mile 7.23 thus both average speeds around 500.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline normh

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
Both times were the same run, not a return run.  the kilo was 4.49 the mile 7.23 thus both average speeds around 500.

Thanks for that but, both times show km/hr and mph. they also record different speeds therefore they can not be the same run  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:53:59 AM »
This can be confusing.  Here is how it works.  Two marks are set on on the course a mile apart.  This is the flying mile.  He took 7.23 seconds to drive through the mile.  60 minutes per mile x 60 seconds per minute / 7.23 seconds = 497.9 miles per hour or 801.3 kilometers per hour.

A kilo is shorter than a mile.  Two marks are set on the course between the start and finish of the mile.  He drove through this kilo distance at the same time he drove through the mile.  He took 4.49 seconds to drive through the kilo.  60 x 60 / 4.49 = 498.2 kph or 801.8 mph

It is typical to have a kilo time a little bit faster than the mile time.

Offline normh

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 01:30:58 AM »
This can be confusing.  Here is how it works.  Two marks are set on on the course a mile apart.  This is the flying mile.  He took 7.23 seconds to drive through the mile.  60 minutes per mile x 60 seconds per minute / 7.23 seconds = 497.9 miles per hour or 801.3 kilometers per hour.

A kilo is shorter than a mile.  Two marks are set on the course between the start and finish of the mile.  He drove through this kilo distance at the same time he drove through the mile.  He took 4.49 seconds to drive through the kilo.  60 x 60 / 4.49 = 498.2 kph or 801.8 mph

It is typical to have a kilo time a little bit faster than the mile time.

Thanks for that, I understand now.  :roll: :roll: could anyone from the Aussie invader shed tell me if he actually returned a run to officially claim the Fastest man in Australia?

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 04:45:14 AM »
I have a poster of Aussie Invader 3 which Rossco gave me in 1997, :cheers:,,, for what its worth,, on the poster the only reference to actual speed is, "Holder of the Australian Land Speed Record @ 802.61kph",,,  no mention of any sanactioning bodies approvial, :roll:,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline jb2

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
He can claim what he wants.  He is not saying fastest fia world record holding Australian. 

What is the fastest certified record in australia?
by an australian?

there lies your answer.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
Alright, Folks,

to get this discussion clear as mud....

Roscoe is the fastest Australian in different ways.

The time slip from 1994 was one of the two runs where Roscoe set an Australian National record under the time rules of FIA.....this record was never shown as the (international) speed record, which was to this time 633 mph (Noble, over the mile in 1993) and 630 mph (Gabelich, over the kilo in 1970)

...just a national record.....

before he set this record he run 597 mph one way....

Also this record was driven with the Aussie Invader 2

This car, better the engine, was destroyed in 1995 when Roscoe runs with about 600 mph through the time light....the time light shredded the engine complete.

In 2000, Roscoe run the Aussie Invader 3, a new jet car, only one way, 637 mph, which is maybe the fastest speed a jet car on solid wheels ever runs on salt.

Unfortunately, the weather was against Roscoe an there was no other attempts possible.

By the way, the poster from 1997 maybe shows the Aussie Invader 2....easy to see....the 2 got a square air intake in front of the jet engine...the 3 is round....

hope this helps to clarify the question.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline joea

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
norm...you asked who the fastest Australian is....

ITS ROSCO......

John responded with a great question to you...

given the same measuring equipment...would you rather have fastest FIA record or be the fastest...?...

factually....fastest is fastest...

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Rosco is the fastest Australian on land, but once again when it comes to quoting speeds should a one way leg on a two way record attempt which is not backed up be quoted? 

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 06:11:20 PM »
I'm with Joe, when folks ask me how fast is it, I don't say 228.039, the fastest record... I say I've been 230.5, its fastest number on a time slip, darn the bad luck, no back door trap when we did that or I'd use that number. :-D
 My bet is everyone out there does the same.  :wink:
Looks like Rosco has a time slip that probably had him going 600 to get that mile average... again, too bad no back door trap.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

penny